Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eye infection???

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
my dog has weird eyes that have these brownish, purplish smudges on it...

a little cousin of mine who has a dog, referred to it as cherry eye...he said it was when the dog's eyes get red...

well, mine isn't red, but brownish/purplish...and it's on the white of her eye...is she going blind or something??? i don't think so because she walks fine...but it worries me when i see dogs with clear white eyes...

thanks to all for your patience with me and my many posts.

bethaliz
July 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM
It sounds to me like your dog has a lacerated eye or an eye inffection. I have seen MANY lacerated eyes (Shih tzu's have big eyes that are prone to it). Lacerated eyes normally look like a smudge on the eye, brownish purple or a blue colour. Eye intections "normally": the eye lids can be puffy, the white's of the eye are blood shot (this happens with lacerated eyes too), there can be eye gobbers or crusty (more than normal).

I can only guess, because I can't see your dog, but either way your dog needs to see the vet to get this corrected.

Good luck and keep us posted

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/xiphoidsteel/Picture001-1.jpg

best pic i could get...it's at the outside part of her eye, not the inside...

thanks for your help either way:)

MollysMommy
July 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Sounds like you need to take the dog to the vet. When my dog had an eye infection she didn't show any sign besides it being more crusty than usual. She didn't scratch it or anything. But even though the vet thought it was an eye infection, he did a test (where they put this drop in their eye) to see if she had scratched her eye just in case. A scratched eye needs to be seen by the vet. So get her there as soon as possible.

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM
well, there's no crust...just that smudge on her eye...it's been there for quite some time...unless boogers in her eyes count as crust. bah, my dog seems to have alot of problems...i think i might do a checkup on her...thanks for the info though.

bethaliz
July 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
There are a couple of things that need to be addressed.

First: From the picture, there doesn't look like there is anything wrong with your dog's eye. However, if your concerned you should fave it checked.

Second: I have noticed that you have several postings of various prolems that your dog seems to have. You really should get her to the Vet to make sure that she's in good condition. Weather your taking canadian or US dollars you can get a check up with a vet for less than $60.00. So PLEASE take your dog and see what the vet has to say. If your dog needs further tests your vet will tell you and you can find out the cost and see what options are availble to you.

Lastly, I have seen several times that you have said your dog is old and maybe needs to be put down. I seriously doubt that. 6 years isn't old for a dog, this is midlife. In people years your dog is only 42! Don't give up, there are places you can get help for the care of your dog. Start with a trip to the vet and maybe call the humane society and see what programs are availble in your area.

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Great post bethaliz. I wholeheartedly agree.

metalclay
July 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM
yeah, i'm going to see if i get a checkup like i said before...

my mom says the eye thing are just her vains...the lumps are because she was fat and in nicaragua(where my family is from) a lot of cows used to get that. and the teeth, are fine...alot of dogs in nicaragua usually died of roadkill before the teeth got to them. but i'm going to buy her some toothpaste:) hope the gums don't bother her.

badger
July 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
If the dog's been in Nicaragua, how do you know it's not a parasite on her eye? In fact since cows and dogs are completely different species, there has to be an external cause. It's possible that a simple treatment could cure it and maybe save her vision?
Just because something is not life-threatening doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated.

So please get some money together and get your dog checked out.

metalclay
July 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
oh, no, haha, misinterpreted me:)

i was just giving examples of how my family's mindset is. basically, if it's not life threatning, all is good with the world, if it is, then,that's when things should be done...

yeah, i know...not a very good mindset to have since. if worse comes to worse i know that the cost of fixing everything wrong with my dog may end up higher than if i had treated her before.

oh, and the lumps was from a previous thread, go back to the board, and there's a thread titled: tumor???. that's what i was referring too, because i was just addressing the post from bethaliz.

so, yeah...there aren't any lumps in her eyes:D , it's just some smudges...but like i said...my mom just dismisses it as vains...

erykah1310
September 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Never mind this post is ancient, dont ask how i stumbled on it. My bad