Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help! - any low cost spay neuter vets in Miss. Ont.?

Feral_cats
July 12th, 2006, 04:50 PM
i was just talking to a friend of mine and while on the disscussion of feral cats he mentioned about 6 cats living in cracks of rocks in streetsville miss. ont . that people are feeding but no one can get near , im guessing they are feral and there are probally more then 6 . i am going to go down with my trap , but does any one know any low cost spay neuter vets in the area ??, i will have them vaccinated , fixed and ear tipped , but its all going to be comming out of my own pocket , im going to try to get intouch with some feral cat rescues to see if they can help.

chico2
July 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry I cannot help,just wanted to say,you are a wonderful person for helping these cats,feral or not..good luck!

erykah1310
July 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I m also sorry that i have no advice, however THANK you SOOO much for caring so much :angel:
And what is "ear tipped"??????

badger
July 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM
The tipping is probably so rescuers will know which cats have been taken care of already.
I hope you can get some help with this. Some rescue groups do catch and release as part of their activities, maybe you can team up. They might not be able to pay for it, but they can certainly help you find cheap vets.
Why don't you approach the municipal government for a some funding? It couldn't be more in their interest. Of course they might not see it that way :)

Feral_cats
July 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
i already have a colony of 15 ferals on a farm near by i trap and vaccinate once a year(but the vet i was using for the low cost spay and neuter retired) + my own ferals , and my dogs , so i really shouldent be taking on more vet bills . but it needs to be done or else there will be alot more ferals, also ear tipping is where they remove the tip of the left ear so people like the SPCA or shelters know that they are spayed and neuterd , vaccinated once a year and fed so they are not taken in for euthanazia , i do know of alot of rescue groups from toronto , but toronto is also full of ferals , and the shelter i work for doesnt do TNR and its also not our district so i wouldent be able to ask them for help. so im taking it into my own hands , im sure if i talk to my vet he'll be willing to do somthing to help (maybe me pay for the spay and him tip the ears and vaccinate for free or half price or somthing)

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
It's so sad that we live in such a rich country full of resources and services, and people are turning their worlds upside down and going into debt trying to fix a problem that the goverment could fix with one decision!

:sad:

Good luck, Feral... it's such a sad situation. My sh***y vet wouldn't give me a discount either. In fact, he insisted i catch, vaccinate, release, re-catch, spay/neuter, re-release...full price, 3 visits per cat; 15 adult ferals and over 40 homeless kittens!!!!

Esaunders
July 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Contact the Mississauga Spay/Neuter Clinic on Dixie. They are the most reasonable price I have found so far.

Also there's a clinic on Lakeshore, just east of Cawthra. (Pet Vet?) I know one of the techs is involved with the Pug Rescue so there might be something there going on too.

Toronto Animal Services still lists a west end clinic too on the toronto city website.

Feral_cats
July 13th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Thank you! i will contact them a few days before i go and trap , im going to my cottage for a week so i cant go trap them untill after the first weekend in augest , i also found out they have been there since kittens and they are now a few years old :sad: so theres probally a ton more then im expecting and they are probally all feral and un-fixed.