Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost black/white female cat, London, On

kalinka
July 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I'm looking for a black/white female cat named Emba. She went missing at Rogers Ave and Wilson Ave near Harris Park and Lambat Park in London Ontario. She should have a collar and a microchip in her left shoulder.

http://www.bykalinka.ch/download/emba.jpg

lezzpezz
July 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Hi there...will keep an eye out and put out the word. Did you make any posters with her photo on them?? These would be helpful.

Have you contacted ACC to see if she has been turned in? Do so and do it daily! They are notorious for magically not having cats that are found as strays! You may wish to go there in person every day. They only keep strays for 4 days then they are adopted out, (not a good track record for this either!), or pts! They do post some of them, (only a handful), on Petfinder.com, but your best bet is to visit in person as they don't give out much over the phone at all, and don't care either! Not a reputable organization at all....

Good luck and keep me posted!

Lezzerpezzer:o

kalinka
July 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
hi lezzpezz

thanks for the tip with the acc. i've already called there but i will definitely visit them today. i'm still hoping she comes strolling around the corner.

i'm new here in london ... should i call to any other places then the acc?

thanks
petra

lezzpezz
July 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Edited by admin due to slander rule -

If interested, check out the link on www.london.ca. It is the City of London website. Type in "companion animal" at the top in the "search" box, and read what the task force is all about. They are trying to make ACC accountable for their spending and making the $$ rec'd actually go toward the animals and not just line their pockets.....

The big meeting at City Hall is this Monday between 4 and 5:30 p.m.. I hope to be there to support the Task force and all of the hard work they have accomplished!

Anyway, start and stick with ACC. I hope your kitty does pop up at your doorstep! She is lovely!

Talk to ya soon!

Lezzpezz

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Like lezzpezz said go down to ACC and bring a pic with you, check EVERY day sometimes twice, ask all your neighbours and post pics everywhere, I made up posters from the computer and stuck them in every mailbox for blocks around, if she is turned into a vet office most(if not all) have micro scanners, go out early in the am and late at night shaking kitty food and listen for her, I have my:fingerscr for you both and keep us posted she sure is a beauty.

kalinka
July 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
damn, it's just the worst time she has chosen to be lost ... not that there is any good moment for it... but today are some friends arriving i haven't seen for over 18 months. it's supposed to be a very happy day and the only thing i can think of is my sweetheart.

anyways. thanks for your help and i keep you posted.
petra

lezzpezz
July 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I bike daily across the river from your area, via the foot bridge thru the park by the Prevost building to the south of your area. If your cat crossed Riverside Dr., (anything's possible!), I will hopefully see her and will try to catch her and take her home with me. Lots of parkland there for kitty to investigate! Lots of kitties over there too! It's a longshot, I know, but if I see her, I won't leave without her! Will contact you asap!

You are in a very lush area full of park land and hiding places, so be patient and follow the great instructions that LibbyP gave you. Involve your guests! They will want to help you, for sure!

Your closest vets are on Wharncliffe Rd., Sears Animal Hospital, followed by Blue Cross, just a few doors down. The London Cat Clinic is really close too: Wortley Rd. at Stanley and York Sts. You can call them and post a picture in these clinics I would think. It's a Dog Thing is on Wharncliffe, just around the corner to the north of you. As is The Big Bag petfood store. Enlist them to help you by putting posters up for you. This way, many pet people will see the poster.

Keep shaking the chow! She'll come!!

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I forgot to ask how long has she been gone? Is she used to outside noises? Is your company cat friendly? Have them have a look as well tonight, just a thought, to bad it isn't sunny you could sit outside for awhile

kalinka
July 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
hi LibbyP and lezzbess.

she is luckily not that long gone, i've last seen her yesterday morning...
i just love my cats from the bottom of my heart, i've brought her and my other cat from switzerland when i moved to canada 18 month ago.
it's extremely untypical for her to stay away for dinner ... or even the night. She is an outdoor cat and used to noise, a bit jumpy with strangers but super curious and unfortunately an explorer so my hope is she is somewhere looked in.

thanks again for your great support.
petra

lezzpezz
July 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Did Emba come home yet? I hope so....:fingerscr

kalinka
July 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM
hi lezzpezz.

no she didn't:-(
we walked arround for about an hour, shaking the tread box, whistling and calling out for her.
i've just made the poster and i will print and hang it up today. who knows maybe somebody saw her.

LibbyP
July 13th, 2006, 10:13 PM
:sorry: that she hasn't returned I was hoping for some good news as I'm sure you cannot wait to find her, make sure you keep checking with ACC. I know this is really bad to say but if she was killed and city works picked her her up they would do a scan as well (this was just for piece of mind) I'm sure someone has taken her inside, I had a neighbour acouple doors down that did that with my cat the day she got out, put her inside- went to work-came home put her back outside, I was sooo :mad: I could have chocked/hugged him. Keep us posted

kalinka
July 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
still no sign from emba:sad:
we hang up a lots of posters and visited all the close buy vets and pet shops.
this morning a lady called, she saw emba 2 weeks ago:) . she still came home then but she saw her at the children's museum... that seams quite far for my kitty.
anyways... a guy from the labatt park saw her too, tuesday morning, close to the queens bridge along the river.

hi libbyP, ya that wasn't the smartest neighbour. he deserves a kick in his a... :-)

lezzpezz
July 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Okay, she's been spotted alive and well and ACC doesn't have her...both good things! She seems to be out on a "hunt" having fun I guess. Head down to where the fella saw her. Put up posters throughout the park if you can. Cats are resilient, so she will survive for a while on her own. Keep trying...she'll be happy to see you when you find her!

Leslie

LibbyP
July 14th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Ya Hoo at least she's been seen hand out more flyers and posters in the areas she's been seen in, go and have a walk/ drive around the area, call ACC - again, hope you told the people that if they see her again to hold onto her, keep up the search :fingerscr

lezzpezz
July 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
At my meeting last night, it was brought to my attention that when ACC picks up stray cats, they immediately call Animalert and inform them to come and get the cats within 24 hours or they will be put down. That is NOT what the law states: supposed to be at least a 4 day holding period to allow for people to identify and claim or adopt a pet! This is part of what the Task Force has uncovered and is hoping to address!

If need be, Kalinka, contact Animalert or some of the other rescue groups if your cat doesn't turn up or isn't seen by someone in the next day or 2. I have several contact #'s for you if you need them. Maybe some kind soul will turn her in to ACC if they don't see your posters. Keep at ACC too!

Lezzpezz

kalinka
July 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
hi lezzbezz.

that sounds awefull. just one day! i'll take your advice and contact Animalert on monday. i'm anyways extremly irritated that animals get killed at all. i'm not sure if we do kill strays in switzerland... i don't think so.

i saw once a dokumentry about an animal shelter in the usa. i don't remember what city. just that they get around 30,000 animals per year and find new places for 3,000. i was uterly shoked about that. ...

anyways, i've just made an add in the london free press... maybe that helps.

petra

Golden Girls
July 14th, 2006, 12:34 PM
:fingerscr

lezzpezz
July 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Good...any advertising may help. I saw your ad on Kijiji too.

Another idea of the Animal Welfare Task Force is to bring all rescue/foster/lost/stray animal info together in one "database" so that if one loses their pet, like you have, there will be one place to contact and look and all of this info will be grouped together in one spot. Handier for everyone, especially the pets!

Hopefully in the future, this system will be implemented. Until then, it is up to the individual to post posters, phone, hunt, visit shelters etc. on their own.

Keep looking and don't give up.....

kalinka
July 15th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hi guys.

I had two phone calls about a black/white kitty by the children’s museum. I went there and showed the picture a few neighbors. Unfortunately it wasn’t my kitty; the cat is almost black and just has just white socks.
So that means that emba is again not seen since Tuesday morning. I walked around the neighborhood and saw that lots of phone numbers from my posters are gone. Maybe people still call or at least look around for her. The support around the neighborhood is extremely nice.

It would be awesome to coordinate the search for a missing animal! Should not animal care center act as a coordinator?

Anyways, thanks again for all the replies.
Petra

LibbyP
July 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Still thinking of you and Emba, try not to get discouraged:fingerscr , my girl (going back many years) was gone for awhile, then one day I could her her meowing in the garage acouple doors away:grouphug:

kalinka
July 18th, 2006, 08:43 AM
no signs of emba and no new leads:-( i placed again an add in the london free press, this time with a link to the picture.
i was wondering if there is somewhere a list with animal care center around here? i would like to call them up too... just in case.
i've also contacted animalert yesterday.

how was that meeting at the city hall yesterday?

and is it correct that i have to register cats? where would i do that?

lezzpezz
July 18th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Hi there. I was sick yesterday with heat stroke:eek:

Back at work today....feeling crappy, however. I asked my buddy on the Task Force how things went and she said "very well!" Changes are coming! One councillor was really supportive but another was in the dark and not at all impressive! They are discussing a trap/spay/neuter/vaccine and release program. This is great!

You do have to have your pet cats liscenced in London (moneygrab!!). It is the law...You'd pay for this at ACC or City Hall, renewable once a year in January.

As for other ACC's in the area...they are out of town. Lobo has one (north of London) and there are others, but I doubt your cat wandered that far...If anything, she's been picked up by a cat person and is being "fostered" I hope:fingerscr . You can try Animalert, Animal Love Foundation, etc., but they may just refer you right back to ACC.

I saw your poster for Emba on the corner of Wharncliffe and Riverside. And I have been watching for her.....Sigh....please come home Emba!!!!:(

kalinka
July 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
uhh. heat stroke.. i hope you feel alright now.

i had a few phone calls from neighbors, they believe they saw emba... one yesterday morning... just a few homes from my place.
of course i went there to have a look, but still no sign from her. i have a hard time to believe that she is that close to my house and doesn't come home....
i just hope that somebody takes the cat in instead letting her go into the bushes again.

awesome news about the trap/spay/neuter/vaccine and release program. i actually thought the money for the licensing would be used for something like that. but it seams it's just for a number tag. i licensed my other cat this morning at the acc... i was anyways there for emba.

i'm just wondering. is there anything out like a microchip with GPS?:-) or something in talk... it would make the whole thing so easy. just not sure how good it is for the cat..

anyways i keep you guys posted.
petra

lezzpezz
July 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm not surprised that Emba has been seen close to home....my Sascha was found in a crawlspace 3 doors down when she went missing! She was gone for only 4 days, but was so close to home. So in all likelihood, she may be very close to your house...

It is great news about the final report by the Animal Welfare Task Force! They have worked very hard to draft some wonderful ideas and hopefully they will be put into motion. Now the letter-writing campaign starts. I am going to write to the City giving my full support to the AWTF and their findings and urging them to make the suggested changes. Now is the time for we pet owners and animal lovers to jump in!

As for GPS for pets, the closest I could find was a talking pet tag! You record your message with contact info and hopefully, the cat will be returned to you!
Check this out: http://www.atrendyhome.com/talkingpettag.html

I have my fingers crossed for the safe return of your cat!

Lezzpezz

LibbyP
July 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear that some of your neighbours may have seen her, my girl was gone for acouple weeks and she ended up being only acouple doors away, do your neighbours have dogs? They may have scared her and that is why she hasn't returned home - yet plus if someone kind has taken her in, that is possible why you haven't seen her when you've been out and about looking for her (safe home, cozy bed, yummy food) KEEP your chin up it's a good thing she has been seen:grouphug:

kalinka
July 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM
i hope thats the case:-) thanks guys.

i just made a search myself for gps and pets. there is already good stuff around. altought some prices are quite high or the device is way to big for a cat.

check out this links
http://thecatlocator.com/
http://www.globalpetfinder.com/
http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=232 (unfortuantely out of order)

lezzpezz
July 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Those toys are expensive!! I am no Paris Hilton with a disposable income! I will just keep my guys in sight and in the fenced yard, thank you very much! Oh, and microchipped:D

kalinka
July 19th, 2006, 03:28 PM
hahahahah. i know. but it goes in the right direction. i'm sure it will be cheaper in a few years.... i hope so.

lezzpezz
July 25th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Any luck finding Emba? I have been thinking of you guys...I hope she came home:fingerscr

kalinka
July 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
hi lezzpezz

no, she's still missing:-( i also didn't get any phone calls about her in the last few days.... i check every other day the Animal Care Center but no luck so far.

i had some odd discussion with some employe at the ACC. About leting cats out and if they would give me a new cat... don't get me wrong, i'm still searching an hoping for emba... I had answere from "no, we wont give you a cat because you would let her out" ?!?!? so rather kill them... to "once your cat is not lost anymore you can get one". i wonder how long is a cat lost.

Petra

kalinka
July 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi lezzbezz

ya i just phoned the first day when she was missing but after you guys recommended i should go in person i went there every other day. So this conversations were person to person .... and i could tell you more.

anyways, thanks again.
Petra

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Oh kalinka,:sorry: I've been checking in at least once a day but haven't posted... sometimes no news is good news... pls keep searching for Emba, Like I think I already said my girl was gone for acouple weeks, what I'm thinking that someone has taken in your beautiful girl, we have our :fingerscr and :pawprint: all crossed for you here that she will find her way back to you, pls keep on top of ACC so that they know you and who you are looking for, become a pain in their butt if you have to

chico2
July 27th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I was hoping for some good news:sad:
Please don't give up on Emba,not that I think you would,she is somewhere out there.
Cats have been known to be gone for long periods and are found..
Emba is a stunning girl,it's very possible someone is feeding her and has not seen the postings.:fingerscr :fingerscr that she'll find her way home:love:
As for shelters not letting you have a cat if it's going to be an unsupervised outdoor cat,our Humane Society has the same policy,but they do not euthanize a healthy cat.
They want the cats they are adopting out to be safe and not end up under a car or worse and I tend to agree.
But that's all water under the bridge now for Emba,hopefully a miracle will happen and she'll come meowing at your door any day now:fingerscr :fingerscr

LibbyP
July 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi chico2, here the Humane Society and Animal Care Center are two different agencies, ACC picks up and houses stray animals, I think this is where kalinka inquired about another cat, our Humane Society here shares the same policy pertaining to indoor only cats. Kalinka (IMO) I think you are quite a responsible owner, Emba was spayed, micro chipped, your down fall is that she is now lost, maybe in Switzerland this is common practise with no dangerous factors/consequences.

kalinka
July 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
hi guys.

thanks for your posts.
the thing is, i understand why they say stuff like that. no doubt they witness many many cruel and sad stories but not all animal owner are that way. I know most of us are loving owners.
I'm not a criminal ... I always had cats, all of them were spayed, had there shoots and if i noticed something unusall i went straight to the vet. Any vet i had, would give me a great reference.
As for the letting the cats out... that's a point of view as chico2 said. this two cats i have now are actually my first outgoing cats since i'm an adult but just because i was living in apartment building before. anyways I think the important thing for the acc should be to give the cat a loving place.
and ... i'm actually not sure how it works in switzerland with shelters and outgoing cats. i had some bad experiences with cats from shelters.
thanks again.
petra

chico2
July 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Petra,I know you would not have taken your cats from Switzerland if you were not a good kitty-mom,which makes it even sadder that Emba is gone..
I have the time to take my cats outside and watch them,if I did not,they would be inside cats.
My neighborhood has a very busy street and I could not ever imagine letting them roam.
I know however,from when we lived in Sweden everybody let their cats outside.
I sincerely hope your beautiful little girl finds her way home:cat:

kalinka
July 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
hi chico2
ya, most of swiss let there cats outside, if possible. but i think it's not much different here ... i pet every day some neighbors cat, i can't resist cats:-). it just has to be a peaceful neighbor hood witch i still believe i live in:-) at the end of a dead-end street on the river, between two parks.

Who knows, maybe my emba shows up in north vancouver... i was living there before i relocated to london.
Petra

robynm
July 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM
EDITED BY ADMIN (slander) -

it would be in your best interests to go into that shelter every single day...(do not miss one) to look for your baby. I saw so many beautiful and adoptable animals get put to sleep in that shelter that it makes me sick to think... The fact that your kitty is microchipped won't help her at LACC either...they say they scan all animals but frankly they don't...Keep looking, I am thinking of you as you look for your kitty and as I try to get this one home...I would rather sell my soul than let LACC anywhere near her. Good Luck to you!

kalinka
July 29th, 2006, 07:52 AM
hi guys.
reading the post from robynm i got really sick to my stomach. it's insane. i just don't understand where the problem is.
i defently will go every day from now!
So the question for me right now is... how can i help to get a change?
Is the acc controled by the gouvernement?

marko
July 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Dear members,

This thread is about a lost cat not a particular shelter where it MAY or MAY NOT turn up.

Despite your good intentions - you MUST follow the slander rule....or this whole thread will be deleted.

and please...DO NOT DISCUSS THIS ISSUE here in this thread or any open thread.

- As always I can be PMed or emailed if you have concerns about anything.

Marko
ADMIN

lezzpezz
July 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I guess we sometimes get carried away in the heat of the moment. Thanks for reminding us to watch our p's and q's.:rolleyes: