Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tumor??? :(

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
my dog has these two little balls at each side of her body by her armpits.

she's a wrotweiler(sp) mixed with some other mutt, and she's about six years old. she was really fat, and lately i've been walking her, i've been walking her for about a year now for about half an hour, and she's lost some weight.

i'm really worried...i noticed this about a month ago, and she had one at each side, so i desregarded it as something normal in her body...but now i feel two on one side and one on the other. these balls are like lumps that can be moved around and felt, but, they're kind of like stuck to one point since you can't move it anywhere you want, just around a certain distance. please help...i'm thinking maybe because she was fat, and now i've been walking her...and maybe because she's kind of old...:sad:

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Only your vet can tell you.You have to have the lump tested and that can't be done over the internet.My dogs gets them all the time and I go to the vet everytime to get them tested.2 of them were tumours,the others were fatty lump.Why take a chance of loosing your dog to cancer?Good luck.

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
:thumbs up thank you!!!thank you!!!thank you!!!

well, i hope it's not a tumor but a fatty lump, eventhough, i just read, that they can interfere with muscles and can be invasive.

oh well, i'm going to try to get her to a vet...and i hope the needle aspirate is not that expensive because my family doesn't even check themselves for illnesses, as in go to the doctor, because of price. *sigh* hope the gods smile up on me...and if worst comes to worth there's euthenasia:(

i think it could be a fatty lump though, she's a female, a dog, she's old, it's located by her upper legs...*sigh* reality just hit me like a sac of bricks...she's getting old:(
thanks i again...

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Usually the vet can tell you (after taken a sample with a needle) if it's only fat.It doesn't cost that much.And please consider an operation before euthanasia (if it's cancer) ,it's not an internal problem so it's not that expensive.My Daisy has 2 tumours taken out in 9 months periods.She is 10 yr old and she's worth it!I had to cancel my vacation (yep,no time off for me until next summer) but if you love your dog,you can maybe find a way to find the money.

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM
alright thanks...i hope i can get her to a vet asap...her parents lived next door to me, so i got her about 4months after she was born:) so, yeah, she is worth every penny, i just hope i can get enough pennies though...

technodoll
July 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
just wanted to mention... 6 is NOT old for a dog, it's their prime years :) many large dogs live a good 12-14 years, and smaller ones can live longer, provided they get good food, plenty of exercise, vet care and lots of love. your girl will thank you for doing all that you can for her when she is still so young :angel:

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM
thanks technodoll, but, eh...i can only do so much...since i don't work and my mom doesn't believe in taking a dog to a vet for such trivial reasons...

i tried convincing her to take her but, as i've said, we aren't the richest family and my parents are immigrants of another country so the language barrier really hinders their ability for "good" jobs, so they mostly work in manual labor:( so...maybe i'll see if i can pawn some stuff...

also, note, i'm from the US, so you already now our health coverage stinks...infact, my parents don't have health coverage and neither does my sister. i'm the only one that has one, and it's about 15usds a year and only covers emergency situations.

oh, well, i hope it's just a fat lump:(

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2006, 05:06 PM
To get a fatty tumor asperated on my rottweiler a couple of years ago cost me less then $20 and the diagnoses was instant.

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM
really? you've given me new found hope!!!:)

unless...you live in canada don't you??? well...i heard prices here in the US aren't that great...

anyway, does that cover one tumor or many? because i've felt around three on my dog...so would it be 60usds???

if it is...well...i can take one out:)

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2006, 06:02 PM
really? you've given me new found hope!!!:)

unless...you live in canada don't you??? well...i heard prices here in the US aren't that great...

anyway, does that cover one tumor or many? because i've felt around three on my dog...so would it be 60usds???

if it is...well...i can take one out:)

Umm. No. I live in Michigan.

Your vet should be able to tell if the tumors are all of the same "type". Chances are that they are and they are probably fatty tumors. This is not a promise, mind you, but fatty tumors are common in older dogs.

metalclay
July 12th, 2006, 06:38 PM
yeah, after frenchy told me about the fatty lumps, i googled it and read all up on it. so yeah, she fits all the qualifications for fatty lumps.

and, cool, 20usds i can definetely afford that. but...i'm going to have to look for a new vet...the place i used to go to is now a pizzeria...

Rottielover
July 12th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Just because what she described sounds like what your dog has DOES NOT mean it is the same. Harley had to have it done 2 times, and each time was 25$ canadian. So it is worth the money for piece of mind, and the health of your dog

metalclay
July 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
cool! you have rotweiler(sp) my dog's mom was a rotweiler:), my dog really takes after her mother:)

anyway, i think i'm just going to do a whole check-up on my dog. and address these problems to a vet. if it's a fatty lump...i might take it out, since fatty lumps aren't thaat bad...but if he says that it could eventually immobolize her or something like that(fat clogs the muscular system), then yeah, i'll definteley get it removed. but, meh, i'm not all too concerned with the way my dog looks. she doesn't go to any of them dogshows on animal planet, nor is she "pure bred." so, i don't care what she looks like as long as she's happy and healthy....which at the moment, she may not be. she looks healty though:D