Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

He dissed my dogs!

Dog Dancer
July 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I was very offended yesterday when a member came into my office and had to wait a few minutes for my computer to finish a program before I could deal with him. We got chatting and he mentioned his dog was in the car (it wasn't a hot day so it was okay). Anyhow he was saying that he used his dog for hunting so I asked what kind of dog he had. He said an English Setter, that she was 5 years old and diabetic and had cataracts. I told him about my two girls (lab x and akita x) and showed him their picture - which I keep on my desk. Anyhow, he says to me in his broken English - oh in my opinion those are garbage dogs. He paid $800 for his dog he said. Needless to say I had to end the conversation before I bit him!:mad: I had to stop short of reminding him who had the healthy garbage dogs. I was so offended that he dissed my girls and he doesn't even know them. Anyhow, after stewing on it all night I finally decided he probably was inferring that he didn't like labs for hunting or something, so I'm trying not to be hurt, but I still want to bite him:evil: Hope he's had his shots... His mother never taught him if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I would bite him allright,for leaving his dog in the car.Why not leave the dog at home when you go to work???How incredibly stupid to leave a dog in a car all day.:mad:

angie79
July 12th, 2006, 11:46 AM
You just have to remember that not every one is going to like your dog! there are many different breeds of dogs and many types of people.

keep your head up!!!

:pawprint:

happycats
July 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately there are many people out there who believe that unless a dog has a purpose, it's garbage (meaning hunting, guarding, herding) and a mutt has no purpose in their eyes, and would never have a dog as a "pet" .

Your dogs aren't garbage:grouphug: they are beautiful! That member is garbage, and so is his way of thinking!! :evil:

Dog Dancer
July 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Frenchy don't worry - he doesn't work here. I don't believe he was leaving his dog in the car all day - he just had to pop in for a few minutes (he's retired). And as I said, it was not a sunny or hot day or I would have taken issue with him (actually I would have told him to go get her and bring her into the office). I'm fanatical about dogs in the cars in heat and I wasn't worried about the dog yesterday. Who knows what he does other days, but he does seem to take care of the dog based on our conversation - he is treating all the illnesses.

I just had to vent about getting my feelings hurt - kinda. I had to put it in perspective that what he was really trying to say was that mine weren't his kind of dogs (English is a second language, barely, for this fellow). He probably meant that the dogs weren't good for hunting - well let me tell you if Halo's hunting down a meal she's the dog for the job;) But it was not a very nice way of saying what he wanted to say.

Now when I go home at lunch to put the girls out I tell my boss "I'm just running home to put the garbage out." So I'm not so much offended as just surprised that anyone would say such a silly thing.

I think my rescue mutts are just as wonderful as he thinks his pure bred is.

we3beagles
July 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Comments like that are just the type of ignorance rescues are trying so hard to overcome. Some hunters in NF believe that when a hunting dog is past it's prime or isn't a perfect hunting dog it is time to shoot it or put it out to die on it's own. This is how we come across so many of our beagles. Sometimes we can convince the hunters to give them up to us directly and in one case I we actually had to put a dog into doggie protection and ship him off to other parts of the country while his "OWNER" was charged, but still demanded his property be returned to him. People like that are simply ignorant and can't help themselves. Instead of feeling anger at his words, feel sorry for his poor dog that won't be of any use to him in the near future and will probably be neglected or discarded.:mad:

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Oh that sucks! I had a similar thing happen when I asked a dane breeder if she thought Boo had any dane in him because we love him and if we could, we'd get another one like him. And she looked at the pic and said "why would you want another one of those?" :rolleyes: I figure if they can't find the beauty in a rescued mutt then it's their loss.

Dog Dancer
July 12th, 2006, 03:15 PM
We3Beagles, thanks for that input. I didn't realize it was such a common notion. See I always figure pet people are pet people and we'll love all our dogs. I started off ranting about this fella and now I'm defending him, but only about his own dog. I did get the distinct impression that he will treat his dog well into her older years. He gives her insulin twice a day and has spent many thousands on vet treatments. So I didn't get the impression that he would dump her or mistreat her, but yes I did get the impression that he definitely had a bias towards dog breeds.

All that said, I was just offended and surprised that someone would even say such a dumb thing to someone else who was just making conversation. I'd keep my opinion to myself unless I was on much more personal terms than he and I are.

Too bad with the hunters like that, I guess it's a lot like the racing greyhounds that get abandoned too. What a kettle I've opened...

Dog Dancer
July 12th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I'm with you Prin. I love my rescued mutts as much as any pure bred and they love me back with all they have. That's good enough for me, and my girls won't be giving him any kisses! What a dumb thing for the breeder to say. Why don't these people just be polite!

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm relieved to know the poor dog wasn't all day in the car! You shouldn't be bother by what he told you.Every dog is beautiful,oups,I mean all animals! I have 3 rescued goldens,I don't know if they are pure and I really don't care.I actually see another different breed mixt in the 3 of them and I think it would be cool! (Daisy may have some Lab,Bailey some irish setter and Sam some great pyrenees) it gives them caracter :rolleyes:

OntarioGreys
July 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Anyhow, he says to me in his broken English - oh in my opinion those are garbage dogs. He paid $800 for his dog he said.

My parents are european immigrants, as well as most of their friends, some picked up the english quite well and got to the point where in conversation they consider think in English they did not have to bopunce back and forth betwen thinking and translating their thoughts and words between 2 languages, some never became that good, and thye contnues to think of what they say in their mother tongue and then try to pick words out of the english language to explain what they mean, and the words they picks may not always reflect what they meant and another part is european culture, the men tend to be a very proud especially of their accomplishments especially if they came from a background where they had very little.

So what he is saying is "your dogs are mixed breeds not bred for function or purpose, I went to a good breeder and was able to get myself a fine hunting dog" because he is not conversant in English the choice of words he used came out sounding rudely insult, rather than simply boasting. I have spent so many years around the hungarians, germans, yugs, czechs etc that most often the misuse of the engish language and how it translates literally, does not even fizz on me, I just got to point where I could understand the meaning, and sometimes throw english words, when I notice they are struggling to find the correct english word. If tried to speak french I know for a fact I would mangle the heck out of it, and my meaning would be lost with in the first 2 words out of my mouth.

we3beagles
July 12th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Very true OntarioGreys. He could have simply said the wrong word for what he meant. I am very glad and relieved to hear that he will treat his dog well in it's old age. Perhaps he really didn't mean what he said?

Dog Dancer
July 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input OntarioGreys. When I started the thread I was at first taken aback by his statement, but I do understand that it was not necessarily intended as an insult as such, but just what you said, bad translation. These dogs were not bred for his style of hunting and he would never use a lab for hunting. I live with an Italian fellow (and my dog disser was Italian) and it really did take a while for me to understand that some of the things my BF said to me were not really what it sounded like. Needless to say my mother took longer to convince that he really hadn't meant it the way it sounded... With the your dogs are garbage statement, after the first ten minutes I actually thought it was rather funny that he used that expression and truly was not offended, but still would have liked to have had the guts to tell him that he hadn't chosen a very nice way of expressing himself. All that said and done, I do hope he enjoys his doggy for many more years, and that the dogs health does not deteriorate. Who knows maybe someday one of his kids will surprise him with a lab puppy:evil:

glasslass
July 13th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Just brings to mind the expression about one man's garbage being another man's treasure. His opinion really doesn't matter. Your's does, as these little treasures belong to you!