Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you have a culture?

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 12:26 AM
With all the soccer madness (and sometimes in cabane à sucre season :D) I feel like I have no "culture". I don't have any traditions, religion or "old country" to associate with.

I mean, I'm 1/8th irish (maybe), 1/8th quebecois, 1/4 german, 1/4 czech, 1/4 Canadian from so far back we don't know where they came from (but they're not natives). I'm a mutt.:D

Sometimes it feels strange- I have no tasty national food to be proud of, no sports teams to root for, no group of strangers to feel at one with...

I mean the closest I can come to having a culture is being a Quebecoise, but they won't let me in on account of my English accent.:D

But hey, I guess that's all part of being a Canadian, eh?:D

Do you have a culture? What does it do or not do for your life?:)

Skryker
July 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Huh, that's a good question! My background, like yours, is quite mixed. Primarily, it's British Isles; heavily English on my Dad's side and Scottish/Irish/Welsh on Mom's side.

BUT-my Dad's maternal grandfather was Norwegian (who settled first in England and then Canada) and there is a strong family suspicion that his paternal grandmother may have been Gypsy.

And there is French Hugenot and German in Mom's background, too, as well as M'iq Mac native.

So, I look to the Celtic mostly, although I've started examining the Norwegian recently.

I'm a mutt, too, and consider myself Canadian above all else. I also look at it as, just about everyone is orginally from somewhere else-especially in NA.

We do have family traditions that come from a variety of sources. They're honestly, mainly just family things. They might have had roots in ancestor cultures but they evolved into things we do because we remember them. I find now that my husband and I have been adapting our family traditions and creating our own as we go along.

I think that your own close family and friends probably have the biggest cultural influence on you in the end. I mean, it's nice to look at a family tree and say "I'm related to such and such a noble person." but when I look around, I don't see any old money or manor house, let me tell you!

happycats
July 12th, 2006, 06:03 AM
My DH is the same, he has (we believe) British, English, Scottish background, but there have been quite a few generations Canadian, so his roots are really unknown.
Since my parents come from Holland (I am the first generation Canadian, and very proud of it!:) My DH just takes on my families traditions. He roots for the Dutch Soccer team, and roots for the Dutch in the Olympics (after the Canadians of coarse;) )
Do any of your significant others have "culture"? If so you may want to do what my DH does.

jawert1
July 12th, 2006, 08:23 AM
My mother's family is Norwegian/German and my father's family is straight German, or rather Pennsylvania Dutch, which is a culture in and of itself (who else can lay claim to being the first set of ppl to use fruit instead of meat in pies!). My paternal grandparents and great grandparents actually would switch between English and PA Dutch (which is a really weird dialect of *******ized middle-German) when they didn't want us to hear "adult conversation" It's always fun at holidays, they generally think we're all too thin and pile on the noodles and desserts. :D

papillonmama
July 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm a North American Indian, a native Canadian, 100%.

A very rich culture indeed, I however don't practice much of the religion, or many of the traditions. I grew up with them, I just don't follow them now, I will in the future though, I just need more time to grow up I guess. :o

jiorji
July 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM
well i was born in Romania. That's in Eastern Europe.....ummm...right of the usual cheery Europe destination places lol

so let's see my culture has......gypsies, Communism, and lots of stray animals and mugglers, as well as cabbage rolls and really good pickles :D ...and a bunch of historical facts like the Turk attacks way back in the day and Dracula of course :evil: hehe

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I was born in Toronto, My mother was also Canadian her mom was polish as was her husband. My dad was smuggled out of Russia when he was 2ish we never really knew his real age. His father was killed by the cossacks in Russia. I am jewish by birth I do not practice the religion or any religion for that matter. But I do love some of the foods from my background. But then again my mom used to say she thought I may have some Asian in me since I am such a huge fan of all Asian food can eat it every day.

Rick C
July 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Culture, culture, culture . . . . .

Well, I'm sitting in my office here in Calgary - in a major bank branch - and Shania Twain is blaring down the hallway, I hear the distinct sound of dancing, "yeeha's" and hand-clapping coming from around the corner and I'm sitting here in jeans and a cowboy shirt . . . . . .

There's a large pancake breakfast happening this morning across the road.

It's Stampede in Calgary.

Wish you were here.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM
When I saw the title,I tought OMG Prin is making illegal drugs! (pot) Culture means 2 different things in french.I'm pretty boring,no religion,french canadian family,nothing special.:o

Jackie467
July 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I'm in the same boat. Very boring. I'm part German, part Italian, part Irish, part swedish, and part Welsh. And that is just the things we know. I do have some Indian features so that is always a possibility (Indian from India not native american). I just claim the Italian culture because at frist glance that is what I look like. I'm actully mostly German (my family thinks) then Italian but I look Italian so that is usually what I go with because my mother is from the Italian side so all our cooking is mainly Italian, my dad was mostly German.

My poor kids. They'll be all that and half Mexican. At least they'll have the Mexican culture which is very rich and interesting. My soon to be hubby is full Mexican but born in the US. His parents lived most of their lives in Mexico and his mother doesn't even speak English so I know my kids will at least speak Spanish. They'll have to to talk to their grandmother.

technodoll
July 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
"pure laine" québecoise! it's a culture... it's the sugar-shack in the spring, it's tuques and sleigh rides and maple syrup, it's the home of Cirque du Soleil, Celine Dion, Rock et Belles Oreilles and La Petite Vie, it's poutine and oreilles de crisse and la bière Tremblay, it's the Montreal Jazz Festival, the Just for Laughs Festival and Le Carnaval de Québec, it's Franglais eating kosher bagels and drinking café latte from Italy, it's so many things yet all bound together by the laine commune! :) but still... i am canadian :crazy:

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM
So just like our doggies then, most of us are mutts?:D

Frenchy, you do have culture- like technodoll laid out... (And no, I'm not a drug op- I wouldn't be able to stand the smell!! :yuck: :sick: )

I just think it's funny that on St Patty's day here, Montrealers who have 1/32 of their ancestry from Ireland consider themselves Irish enough to fit in. It doesn't matter who was Irish, if they were in your family tree, that's all that matters. But I'm equally Irish as French Canadian, but to a real "pure laine" quebecois, I'm not quebecois at all... :rolleyes:

I think at this point my background just serves as an excuse for things- like I'm hairier than the ideal because of my Czech background, and I like sausages (even though I know what's in them) and that has to be a bit of German heritage... Oh and when I was younger, I used to love my beer and wine (that's a little bit from everywhere!).:D

But if I had to choose, based on my diet, I'd be Asian or Greek, and based on the company I keep and peoples impressions and assumptions of me, I'd be Jewish... :)

Hey, maybe we should start our own mutt culture... We could have a flag and everything.:D

technodoll
July 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I just think it's funny that on St Patty's day here, Montrealers who have 1/32 of their ancestry from Ireland consider themselves Irish enough to fit in.

oh, you know those québecois people... any excuse to drink, hug and slur silly songs! :D

Stacer
July 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Both my husband and I pretty much only identify as Canadian. He really has no idea about his backgournd other than probably somewhere in the British Isles. I know that my two of my great grandfathers (both maternal) came from France and Wales. One married a Native Canadian woman (it's unfortunate that we don't know which First Nation group she came from due to the ignorance of the time and the denial that there was an "indian" in the family), so that makes me 1/16th native, I can see it too, in my cheekbones and my complexion in the summer. I think based on my last name that I have Scottish in the blood somewhere too. But I too have no teams to cheer for other than Canada, and I'm quite content with that (except when the world cup rolls around) I will say that I'm very proud to be Canadian, I love the fact that we have a country based on 2 cultures that has turned into a country based on hundreds of cultures melding together to create something very unique. Yep I'm fine with saying I'm pure Canadian.

erykah1310
July 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I am 1/2 Swede, 1/4 Polish and 1/4 French.
My dad is a "pure" Swede and my mom, is the Polish/French one ( my dad SO lovingly refers to her as his "polywog"
As far as religion, yes i have one, i was braught up Baptist and chose to remain that way ( when ever i get myself baptized that is)
I too am proud to call myself a Canadian ( however with all the bs in Ontario i am not so proud of that aspect of it)