Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I didn't crash!

Schwinn
July 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
So, I had my flight lesson.

I'll try not to babble like an 8 year old, but it was incredibly cool. I thought it would be, "Okay, take the wheel, you're flying. Now give it back." Nope, he had me banking, diving, climbing, and banking while diving and climbing. I can't believe how awesome it was. I had the controls longer than he did.

I was also surprised at how much the plane moves around from the wind. There were times where I turned the wheel, and nothing happened, then suddenly the plane would change direction.

He explained that when he was going to give me control, the procedure was for him to say, "You have control", then I would grab the wheel, and say, "I have control". At that point, he'd let go. He said several times to take my time, and don't worry, don't take the wheel until I was ready. I think I said, "I have control" before he even finished saying his part!

When we landed, I asked how I did, adding, "I was a little shaky, eh?". He said I actually did pretty good, he doesn't always "let people take the plane down to 400 feet before I take over". And until that day, 400 feet sounded a long way away. When you're up in the air, though, watching the highway come closer and closer, 400 feet isn't very far at all.

HIGHLY recommended (only $65). The only problem is, I've got the bug BIG TIME to get my license. So, Mrs. Schwinn and I agreed that I can continue (this flight actually counted as hours towards my license) once I get on the force and there's more room in the budget.

I guess I'd better get the garage cleaned out so I have a place to park the plane...

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
lol sounds like (scary) fun! :) Why can't you just bypass the force and become a pilot? They don't have enough...

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
It must had been so cool! (Not for me,I'm afraid of heights) and that you can continue and get the license,pretty nice hobby!Congrats!

Schwinn
July 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Actually, I'm terrified of heights. Funny enough, when I mentioned it to the instructor, he said he is too. He doesn't go near his windows in his cono, because he doesn't have control.

As for pursuing it as a career, just getting the private license is expensive and time consuming enough.