Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worthington Attacked by "Pitbulliest"

babyrocky1
July 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Hurray, for Diannes Singer who insisted that the Sun give her equal time to respond since our friend Worthington mentioned her by name.....AND a double hurray for our very own PITBULLIEST.!!!!!!!
Violet,aka, Pitbulliest bravely went on Sun TV and told Worthington what was what...Violet was called by the station to represent the Pit Bull Co-op on the show... someone was needed to debate Worthington and Vi was up to the task.
We havent scared up the tape yet and it was very short notice for Vi, but all who saw it said she kicked his sorry but!
Please join me in a chant ...Violet!... Violet!.... Violet!.... Wahoo! :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :grouphug:

Copper'sMom
July 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Oh I hope I get to see it!!!

Way to go Violet!!!!:highfive:

babyrocky1
July 11th, 2006, 10:23 PM
She called last night, she hasnt seen it either, but she has emailed for a copy so hopefully we will have it for the Pit Bull Co-op web site! I had just missed her first call so I didnt see it either! I started a new night last night for the Co-op we now have Sunday abnd Monday! Well have lots to talk about next walk LOL
Is there a link here with Dianes response? its really good, so I guess his but is sufficiently kicked LOL
I really think hes now using the whole thing to get attention so since we got our Two cents in maybe its best to ignore him now, you know maybe if we ignore him hell go away! :evil:

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Yey! I'm glad they got somebody to tell the other side for a change.:)

mummummum
July 12th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Kudos to Dianne and Violet !!!!http://bestsmileys.com/wow/1.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/wow/2.gif http://bestsmileys.com/wow/1.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/wow/2.gif

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Way to go Vi ad Di. I am glad your side had great representation. Now maybe he will go away I keep hoping from the samething for MB. If there is a link please posted it would love to see it

twodogsandacat
July 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM
found at brok.ca
http://brok.ca/pdf/DontBlamePitBullBreedForBites.pdf

July 10, 2006
DON'T BLAME PIT BULL BREED FOR BITES
By DIANNE SINGER
Since Peter Worthington mentioned me by name in his recent column about his dog being bitten by a pit
bull (July 5) I felt it was important to respond.
I am sorry Mr. Worthington's dog was bitten.
I am sorry for the "pit bull" that had its leg bitten off by a husky.
I am very sorry for the man who was bitten by a Newfoundland dog when it went for his dog.
I am very, very sorry for the child whose face was ripped open by a Jack Russell terrier.
I am profoundly sorry for the child who spent two days in a coma after being attacked by a German
Shepherd.
Do I think that any of those incidents were a result of the dog's breed? No.
Do I think that all of them were the result of irresponsible ownership? Yes.
Worthington and I share a concern: We want people to be responsible for their dogs' behaviour. Train,
control, socialize. Where we diverge is on the issue of breed.
Contrary to Worthington's assertion, one person's experience does not constitute research.
Karen Delise is one person who has done sterling research into the issue of dog attacks, published in her
fascinating book, Fatal Dog Attacks (2002, Anubis). Her research into over 30 years of dog attacks
identified three factors that appear to play a critical role in the display of canine aggression towards
humans. Breed is not one of them. The prime cause for the three factors is human -- the irresponsible
owner.
But, for me, this isn't about dogs.
BREED IS IRRELEVANT
When Worthington writes, as he did in a column in May, "I think something is basically wrong with people
who own these types of dogs," he disparages parents, doctors, nurses, lawyers, veterinarians, office
workers, entrepreneurs, artists, musicians, and many, many others who are law-abiding dog owners,
solely because of the shape of their dogs.
My greatest objection to the Ontario Liberals' unfounded, unjust and shoddy "pit bull ban" is that it makes
responsible, law-abiding dog owners into second-class citizens based solely on the shape of property they
own -- their dogs -- without any offence having been committed.
Any thinking person who reads the legislation (available online at e-laws.gov.on.ca) and the evidence
concerning Bill 132 presented to the Standing Committee on the Legislative Assembly has to shudder.
All dog owners must read this legislation to be aware of the provisions that affect them, regardless of
breed.
In their pursuit of this breed ban, the Ontario Liberals rejected many common-sense solutions to reduce
dog bites and attacks -- promoting spaying/neutering, strict enforcement of leash and licensing laws, bite
prevention education for children and adults, strict enforcement to reduce backyard breeding, stricter laws
governing breeders and trainers, funding to municipalities for dangerous dog control, and a centralized
dog bite registry.
Every dog has teeth. Any dog can bite.
No one wants to be bitten by any dog, regardless of breed.
The responsibility for preventing a dog bite rests solely with the dog's owner.
Any dog that is untrained, unsocialized, tethered, allowed to roam, neglected or abused has the potential
to go one of two ways -- either to bite, or not.
Breed is irrelevant.
Thirty years ago, German Shepherd dogs were the demon breed. Then Dobermans. Then Rottweilers. Now
"pit bulls."
Which breed will be next to be targeted by media hysteria and ambitious politicians for demonization and
extermination?
Will your breed be next?
It is the owner's deed, not the dog's breed, which should be the subject of the law.
Not the shape of the dog.

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 07:04 AM
That was an excellent response. Well written and thought out. Kudos Diane

chico2
July 12th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Thank's for the article!
Wonderfully written,everyone should read it!!

technodoll
July 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
finally, a breath of fresh air published! bravo! :highfive:

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2006, 08:36 AM
http://http://torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/07/11/1678861-sun.html

*A Worthy dog debate*
>
>
> *Pit bull column stirs up 'firestorm' as readers attack, defend
> rights of banned pooches*
>
> *By PETER WORTHINGTON*
>
> After my column last week concerning a pit bull attack on our Jack
> Russell terrier, Murphy, Garry Davis, of Prince Edward County animal
> control, phoned my wife and said something of a "firestorm" had been
> created.
>
> The Picton Gazette carried a front-page story, and pro and con
> elements on Ontario's ban and restrictions on pit bull-type dogs
> jumped both feet into the fray.
>
> In Toronto, too, reaction was strong, and letters and e-mails flooded
> in, some of which I'll summarize here.
>
> To go back, at our place near Wellington, 15 km west of Picton, a
> neighbour's pit bull, which we've had trouble with for a year, spotted
> 13-year-old Murphy and attacked, gouging a chunk off her ribs.
>
> Owner and dog went on the lam but were caught a week later.
>
> The owner was charged and the pit bull, named "Sniper," was put down.
>
> My story didn't blame the dog -- bred to be a fighter with excessive
> courage, strength and loyalty -- but the owner who didn't keep the dog
> in accordance with Ontario law -- muzzled and leashed.
>
> Here are some reactions:
>
> - Steve Barker, a pit bull owner who says his dog bears scars from a
> Wheaten terrier attack, accuses me of "writing drivel simply to get a
> reaction (i.e. sell newspapers)." He says that "there are dog fights
> every day" in Toronto, but pit bulls "are more tolerant of irritations
> than most other breeds."
>
> - While this may be his experience, Daniel Gordon notes that England
> has banned the breed because, among other things, "pit bulls have been
> bred to kill and in their minds it's not in their best interests to
> not kill; it automatically perceives whatever it is attacking as a
> threat to itself." He says, "For pit bull owners to suggest their dogs
> are no different from any other breed is completely ignorant of the
> ticking time bomb that's on the end of their leash."
>
> - Mike MacKinnon, "proud American Staffordshire bull terrier owner,"
> claims my "anecdotal evidence is hardly responsible reporting." He
> writes (correctly): "Any dog, poorly raised and socialized, can be a
> menace ... Stop picking on pit bulls. Talk about serious dog attacks
> by other 'friendlier' breeds before you write more nonsense."
>
> - John Brooker cut to the chase and wrote: "The breed ban is due to
> the unique nature of the pit bull. Once a pit bull sets its jaw, it
> takes tremendous effort to release whatever it is locked on. The jaw
> is designed to kill, which is not a feature of any other breed. That
> is the reason it needs a ban."
>
> - Kelly Caldwell, editor-in-chief of Dogs in Canada magazine, felt
> that "the crux of the problem lies in irresponsible pet owners." She's
> "fighting passionately" to end breed-specific legislation and blames
> owners for most dog incidents.
>
> - Susan Macleod's letter ran in the Sun and recounted how her pit
> bull-type dog was twice attacked by different Jack Russell terriers.
> If she didn't view dogs as "individuals," she says that she "would
> assume that (Jack Russells) were all programmed to attack pit bulls."
> In this case, her pit bull didn't retaliate. (As a JR owner, I view
> that verging on preposterous).
>
> - Mitchell St. Croix noted that small dogs were probably worse
> offenders than pit bulls when it comes to biting, but if "a Jack
> Russell comes after you, you are not likely to be in any real danger.
> A PB attacks you and it can be (and often is) devastating. A PB
> attacks and it laughs off fists and bats, even taking several gun
> shots to get its attention."
>
> - Bryan Dale accused me "once again" of launching an unfounded attack
> on pit bulls, and feels, "like Dan Rather he (me) has simply become
> too old and feeble-minded to properly research" columns. He is asking
> the Ontario Press Council to take action on my "breach of ethical
> standards."
>
> - Maureen Chilko is "stunned" by the response of owners whenever a dog
> or child is attacked by a pit bull. "Dog owners have the same
> response: 'I have no idea what happened, the dog has always been so
> gentle, we've never had problems with this dog.' " She adds: "While
> every pit bull is not violent, each has the potential to be violent
> and attack ... to seriously injure or kill ... due to the physical
> nature of the breed."
>
> - Colleen Nimere expresses sorrow for Murphy (who's doing well and
> shows no signs of post-traumatic stress disorder) and focuses on
> irresponsible owners. She says if pit bulls weren't available, "I
> assume their next dog of choice would not be a Shih Tzu." She owns a
> pit bull who, "muzzle and all," is the mascot of "his human sister's
> soccer team." She thinks Jack Russells are "easily irritated" and not
> good with little children. By owning one I am putting grandchildren at
> risk. (My response: Murphy -- like her five predecessors -- adores
> kids but hides under the bed when they get rambunctious).
>
> - Lisa LeLeu recalls that her son was attacked "by a supposedly nice
> family pit bull." She has started an educational website to teach dog
> safety.
>
> - Eric Sparling calls my account of the attack on Murphy "shoddy
> journalism" and says "there isn't a dog breed on the planet that
> hasn't attacked at some point." Owners should be held responsible, but
> he "rejects ... the specious assumption that aggressiveness or a
> propensity to attack can be determined by a dog's appearance or breed
> distinction."
>
> - Sophie Zaworski calls my column a "rant" and says the problem lies
> with authorities who don't police who buys a cat or dog -- which "any
> moron can purchase." She tells of a Yorkshire terrier that "ripped its
> owner's nose off," but the media don't seek to ban that breed. She
> owns a Staffordshire terrier and an Akita, and views small dogs as a
> greater menace.
>
> - Selma Mulvey doesn't think much of me, but is more upset at "the
> Ontario Liberals unfounded, unresearched and ill-advised attempt to
> play to the gallery as a result of media-driven hysteria around the
> purported 'breed' of dog."
>
> - Nancy Flint, probably speaks for all factions when she cites her car
> bumper sticker: "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners."
>
> This, then, is a cross-section of views on the pit bull issue,
> resulting from the unprovoked attack on Murphy and our concern that it
> could have happened on our small grandchildren or the neighbours
> child, since the dog was never muzzled, and ran free.
>
> In a future article I'll explore why pit bulls, despite their fans,
> are not suitable to be trained for work with the police.

I think that Mr. Worthington needs to hear about that pit that was banned in Toronto, rescued and now does police work in Washington State. And about the pair of pits that do rescue work in California. I don't have Mr. Worthington's e-mail address. Anyone care to fill him in?

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Yes that pit bull that they rescued from here is now proving to be the best bomb sniffer they have and his owner and handler says he is the best dog. Guess he is a ticking time bomb........sniffer
I sent my letter to the editor
editor@tor.sunpub.com

Loki
July 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Worthington is a pathetic hack. He is attacking pitty owners so that he gets flooded with responses, to look like he's relevant - he isn't.

Honestly, I think the SUN is intentionally playing both sides. I think the SUN wants to create a "buzz" around their website relaunch and SUN TV ( Which Worthington conveniently plugs in all his anti-pitbull articles). They've certainly tried to play this up on SUN TV and the canoe site.

BTW: I looked up Garry Davis ( the "animal control officer" that Worthington keeps quoting in his articles):
He's Prince Edward County's "Chief Building Inspector/ bylaw officer."
He might be qualified to comment on building dog houses, but his opinion on "pit bulls" is irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned.

Congrats, pitbulliest. I heard you did an amazing job.

Luvmypit
July 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I am colleen Nimer and this is what I actually wrote. COmpared to what he published he left out the fact that I noted what the breed standards for his JRT was and that is why I said easily irratated. This weinie is playing games....

First and foremost I am sorry little Murphy got attacked by any dog, it’s hard experience for all involved. I do though have to say that Worthington’s take on pit bulls is in a way saying what pit bull owners have been saying all along that unfortunately these dogs are a target for young impressionable have something to prove persons. The good thing is most of us are very responsible with our dogs and are not in away defending such behaviour by this particular pit bull owner. We see the correlation between owner and dog and all though Worthington touched on the issue I doubt he truly sees the connection. He talks about the owner let the dog loose, the dog was constantly out and about certainly we do not blame the dog for getting loose? If these owners are that stupid to allow a banned breed of dog loose then I can only assume interest in responsible dog ownership for these individuals is certainly lacking. I can also assume that if these dogs were not available there next dog of choice would not be a shih tzu.

To address also the issue of why us owners chose a dog that was banned by law and had restrictions on it first you would have to assume that we agree with the law and second you would have to be psychic to know they were going to ban any breed of dog. If Worthington should recall the law is a recent one and only left a couple months after it was enacted to allow adoption of these dogs so there are a very few number of us pit bull owners that purchased our dogs between those times in which the law was already in place. My dog is now 4 and is his human sisters soccer teams mascot, muzzle and all. For every bad pit bull story there are 10 great ones including a couple stories who made the Humane Societies Bravery Award Ceremonies just as Worthington’s dog has, research that.

As I recall Worthington has a Jack Russell Terrier who by breed standards is not good with children and can be easily irritated. If we are to assume all dogs are a picture of their breed standard and that ownership, training, love and proper vet care have little to no affect on dogs then we are to assume that he is putting his children and grandchildren at risk and really I wonder why after all the research he must have done he would purchase such a dog?

______
I hope we can see the SunTv thing. Go VI go VI!!! and wonderful wonderful letter by Dianne!

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
These letters are all well written and stick to facts but that is not the type of battle you are fighting. You are dealing with someone who facts are not the important issue it is to say how vicious your dogs are and that they should be erradicated from society. That is not someone who is ever going to remove the preconcieved notion that these dogs are ticking time bombs. I know that is just garbage and so do many others. I had hoped that this ban would be history by now but with people like him making sure that the issue does not fall out of the spotlight. It does nothing for your fight. Just out of curiosity does anyone have proof of this attack because honestly if that pit really did attack the JRT he would no longer be with us and to only receive 5 stitches makes me go hmmmmm

twodogsandacat
July 12th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I have done a lot of research regarding the subject of Jack Russells and large breed dogs :rolleyes: . It is my conclusion that Jack Russells have endeared themselves to many for their tenacious behavior as demonstrated by their ability to attack larger dogs and to quite often get away with it. When they get away with it they are considered ‘couragous’; when they don’t they are then known as the ‘victim’. Now I’m not saying that every Jack that is attacked is provoked but given that I have conducted vast amounts of research on this subject I believe my opinion is much more valid than Mr. Worthington’s.

Mr. Worthington claims he has researched pit bulls based on one attack of a Jack Russell by a pit bull. I however have done at least three times as much research as Mr. Worthington so I must know what I am talking about. My dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and as such is sometimes confused with a pit bull, I will assume that a Jack Russel Terrier is quite capable of making the same mistake.

Jack Russel number 1. A sweet little nine pound beast. She runs along next to Dalton and latches onto the loose skin around his neck or his ears and is carried along for the ride. She has been the only Jack Russel Dalton has ever bonded with.

Jack Russel number two. Named ‘Jack’. In agility class this beast would pull out on the leash whenver Dalton went past on a run. He hated Dalton. He would also leave the course on his run to attack Dalton. What a brave little dog.

Jack Russel number 3. Named? You guessed it - Jack. Walked underneath him in a pack of dogs at the dog park, sat down and bit him in the belly.

Jack Russell – once again named ‘Jack’. Walks up to two very stoic and leashed Dobermans while the owner is having a conversation with another dog owner. He then gets into the face of one of the Dobermans. In the most controlled ‘attack’ I have ever seen the Dob reaches down, picks up the Jack and flings it about five feet. Then resumes sitting as if nothing happened. The Jack was not hurt but did leave to torment somebody else.

The adorable little Jack that runs out to attack my dogs on the way to the park. I muzzle my dog on this street to save the Jack. He has tried to bite both my dogs as well as my shoe. One set of neighbours said ‘take the muzzle off your dog’ and another set said “we saw you glaring at us the other day but we want you to know he’s not our dog. He doesn’t like other dogs but he’s really good with our kids”.

And now the Jack we play with daily. There have been a few little warning snaps and growls from both sides but they tend to leave each other alone and interact through the third dog – a Pointer. If I based my opinions on my experiences with Jack Russell’s I would never allow this interaction. So Mr. Worthington “Bite Me” because I think that you don’t know Jack.

Prin
July 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Umm..
It is my conclusion that Jack Russells have endeared themselves to many for their tenacious behavior as demonstrated by their ability to attack larger dogs and to quite often get away with it. When they get away with it they are considered ‘couragous’; when they don’t they are then known as the ‘victim’. How does stereotyping another breed help? Isn't that sort of "passing the buck"? Jack Russells, just like pitties have particular social habits and constraints and a responsible jack owner won't tolerate bad behavior or put their dog in a situation in which its instinctual behavior may endanger anybody's safety. If you know your breed, you should know how to socialize it properly.

Saying all jacks are considered courageous for attacking big dogs by their owners is a huge misrepresentation and generalization and isn't that what you all are fighting against?

twodogsandacat
July 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Umm..
How does stereotyping another breed help? Isn't that sort of "passing the buck"? Jack Russells, just like pitties have particular social habits and constraints and a responsible jack owner won't tolerate bad behavior or put their dog in a situation in which its instinctual behavior may endanger anybody's safety. If you know your breed, you should know how to socialize it properly.

Saying all jacks are considered courageous for attacking big dogs by their owners is a huge misrepresentation and generalization and isn't that what you all are fighting against?

It was all sarcasm. If Worthington can base all his 'research' on his one expierence with a pit bull and an idiotic pit bull owner then I must have a ton of 'research' under my belt as we have met many Jacks. .. and many expierences. Please see the the smile. His original PIT BULL VS JACK article said Jacks were brave and Pits were STUPID ....for exactly the same reasons...now that's bias. Then his dog is attacked and he's an expert.

I love Jacks and any issue I have ever had with a Jack is most certainly with the owners not the dogs. Even the little beast that attacks us on our walks improved, he would just bark from his lawn...still off leash.

I would even consider owning a Jack or a Pit Bull. I have no issues with either.

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Well I have a good one for you about these little dogs. I used to take Boo my Neo to High Park he loved it there. We would go to dog hill for a while the walk the trails. At dog hill there used to be a Jack there that everytime he would see Boo would run at him and latch on to a leg or his jowls. Boo never retaliated even when the bite drew blood. Two days after the attack that drew blood and we are talking about a 195 pound dog that is being attacked the dog bit deep enough to warrant 3 stitches to his leg, and a 200 dollar vet bill. The next day I went to the hill and waited for the demon dog and owner he showed up and the Jack came tearing at Boo well he did not get to him I stuck my foot in his path and he went flying right past Boo I did not kick him but I stuck my foot out just enough to trip him. The owner lost it on me then I proceeded to hand him the vet bill and ask for payment he was adament his dog did not do this when these 2 men came walking up with their dogs and said they have seen numerous incidents involving the Jack and my dog and my dog has never done anything to retaliate and that if it was there dogs the Jack would have been history a long time ago. They suggested he pay the bill because if "she took you to court we will be there as witnesses" this dog could have killed your dog but has never even growled at him. They proceeded to give him a lecture on obedience and having a dog under control. He went to a bank machine came back and paid me and that was the last time I have ever seen him there. But any dog can be like this it is a matter of responsible ownership. And responsible pit and staff owners should not be lumped in with bad owners. A jack down the hall is a little sweetie and comes to visit all the time and hang with Bud. So same thing the owner is responsible

twodogsandacat
July 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Well I have a good one for you about these little dogs. I used to take Boo my Neo to High Park he loved it there. We would go to dog hill for a while the walk the trails. At dog hill there used to be a Jack there that everytime he would see Boo would run at him and latch on to a leg or his jowls. Boo never retaliated even when the bite drew blood. Two days after the attack that drew blood and we are talking about a 195 pound dog that is being attacked the dog bit deep enough to warrant 3 stitches to his leg, and a 200 dollar vet bill. The next day I went to the hill and waited for the demon dog and owner he showed up and the Jack came tearing at Boo well he did not get to him I stuck my foot in his path and he went flying right past Boo I did not kick him but I stuck my foot out just enough to trip him. The owner lost it on me then I proceeded to hand him the vet bill and ask for payment he was adament his dog did not do this when these 2 men came walking up with their dogs and said they have seen numerous incidents involving the Jack and my dog and my dog has never done anything to retaliate and that if it was there dogs the Jack would have been history a long time ago. They suggested he pay the bill because if "she took you to court we will be there as witnesses" this dog could have killed your dog but has never even growled at him. They proceeded to give him a lecture on obedience and having a dog under control. He went to a bank machine came back and paid me and that was the last time I have ever seen him there. But any dog can be like this it is a matter of responsible ownership. And responsible pit and staff owners should not be lumped in with bad owners

And let's remember that Worthington is the idiot here...not his Jack. He has also owned many of them and of those I know who own Jacks now some have owned numerous Jacks so they must be endearing little guys.

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Oh I agree with you I am sure the dog that used to attack Boo probably with boundries would have been a sweet dog but the owner had no control and thought it was funny. I didn't.

chico2
July 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I am not offended in any way,but my sons JRT,Kita is a wonderful little dog,energetic yes,but not agressive.
She took to Trixie,a 13yr old Sheltie,who had lost her owner with no problems.
Even motherly towards a kitten staying temporarily at my sons house.
Kita is a loving sweet little dog,never hurt anyone.

lezzpezz
July 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM
So Mr. Worthington “Bite Me” because I think that you don’t know Jack.

Priceless.....:D

Watchdog
July 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I dont believe any of Worthingtons crap. Ill bet his dog was challenging the pit and the pit just gave him a nip to put him in his place. If the pit was really out to attack the JRT it would have done alot more damage than a nip in the ribs. Now that the pit has been taken away, the owner will probably replace it with a breed of dog that is aggressive towards humans. Perhaps if Worthington gets the hell chomped out of him by a Pressa Canario he will finally have something to write about that is enjoyable to read.

babyrocky1
July 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Worthington is a pathetic hack. He is attacking pitty owners so that he gets flooded with responses, to look like he's relevant - he isn't.

Honestly, I think the SUN is intentionally playing both sides. I think the SUN wants to create a "buzz" around their website relaunch and SUN TV ( Which Worthington conveniently plugs in all his anti-pitbull articles). They've certainly tried to play this up on SUN TV and the canoe site.

Exactly my feelings, but at least we used them to "beat them at their own game" this time! I had never heard of Sun tv or the canoe site til this, then I tried to find Sun tv and ended up with Jerry Springer :eek:

babyrocky1
July 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Luvmypit]I am colleen Nimer and this is what I actually wrote. COmpared to what he published he left out the fact that I noted what the breed standards for his JRT was and that is why I said easily irratated. This weinie is playing games....

QUOTE]
Its a great letter Colleen and I think that even though he misquoted you,(people expect that from him) you still came off sounding really good, especially that you opened with concern for his Jack, and he did clarify that his Jack is fine, so that takes alot away from his argument right there. It helps to lessen his appeal for sympathy, he didnt use any of my letter, so good for you guys.
One thing that did come up out of all of this is if you really have a reporter who is blathering on about "pit bulls" the concensus seems to be that we should write to the editor rather than the reporter, I wrote to Worthington and didnt copy the editor as I think alot of people did.
Thanks to a great group effort I think we have curtailed the damge he may have done, but I definately think this set up is intentional on the part of the Sun to get as much milage out of it as they can.

babyrocky1
July 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM
[> In a future article I'll explore why pit bulls, despite their fans,
> are not suitable to be trained for work with the police.

I think that Mr. Worthington needs to hear about that pit that was banned in Toronto, rescued and now does police work in Washington State. And about the pair of pits that do rescue work in California. I don't have Mr. Worthington's e-mail address. Anyone care to fill him in?
This was something that Vi said did come up during the Sun interview and she addressed it by talking about Neville!

babyrocky1
July 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
If he really intends to go there in an up-coming article hes going to look even stupider!!!!!! We have tons of research on Neville and theres another Ontario dog going through the programme now! the American programme that is.

Luvmypit
July 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM
So is there any link to the SunTV interview with Vi yet?

I really would love to see it. Did it air already?

Thanks Babyrocky I was actually really mad when I wrote that and am happy I hid it as well as I could.

mastifflover
July 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
For those of you who do not know Nevilles story it is a wonderful tribute to rescuers and Pit Bulls. And the igonrance of BSL. I posted the story below
http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pitbull-rescue-neville-bomb-dog.html

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
It was all sarcasm.
[...]
I love Jacks and any issue I have ever had with a Jack is most certainly with the owners not the dogs. Oh, ok. Sorry.:o

pitbulliest
July 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Hey guys..oh..mmm...geez a whole thread dedicated to me and my blah blah blahness? lol how wonderful! :o

Sorry I haven't been online for ages....yeah I did the debate with Worthington...boy I didn't actually realize what an airhead the man was until that day...the video isn't up on the net as far as i know. I called the station and they told me they will send me a hard copy in the mail as soon as they can...i hope that's some time this year! lol

I was really nervous...geez that was the first time I've ever been on T.V...it was pretty scary..but once I realized what an idiot the man was, I calmed down and realized he had nothing to work with..I mean come on..give a pittie owner a challenge! LOL

With that being said, I do think I might have stuttered once or twice, and I think I mixed and matched the dates for the stats I brought up by accident...you may notice, or you may not..I don't even remember 100 percent....maybe I'm just paranoid...but hey if you guys thought I did ok then maybe so...

Yes, I did mention Neville...not by name...the guy kept cutting me off, for one, and for two..we only have 4.5 minutes for the entire debate..not alot of time when you have a gazillion things to spill to the man...but I did mention that there was a dog that was transported out of Canada to the states, and has become one of the best drug dogs in the U.S...I don't recall what his response to that was..he just kept saying "You live in Canada..give Canadian examples"...he's a nut bag...

I will make sure to put it up somehow as soon as I get a copy of it...thanks alot for the support..I haven't seen it myself so I'm nervous about looking like a fool..hope not! lol

Cheers!
Violet