- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Euthenasia Question

July 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM
On Monday 7/10/06 I had my cat of 19 years put to sleep. I'm still struggling if I made the right decision. He had been getting treated for 3 weeks for a bladder infection/blockage, was losing his balance, not able to climb the stairs, just a slow decline and he was weak.

The vet initially wanted to do a catherize him, he said he only had a few hours before his bladder ruptured.

After an hour and a half, I decided not to do the procedure and I let go, and stayed with him as he let go. My took two sedatives and the vet gave two of the "big" in each front paw. Has anyone ever experienced having to have multiple shots? I am terrified that I gave up on him and even though the vet said the shots were needed due to poor circulation, it's killing me that he may have been stronger than I thought he was and wasn't ready to go.

I know that an answer that he was stronger than I thought doesn't change what I did, but any information would be helpful.

July 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I am sorry you lost you baby 19 years is a good life for a cat. It sounds like your cat no longer had a good quality of life I think you made the right decision. :angel:

July 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
No, I think you made the right choice and I think the vet saying it was poor circulation means that he wasn't strong enough. His quality of life was dropping and I'm sure he wouldn't want your memory of him to be pure suffering.

I'm sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

July 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I am sorry but you sound like you did the right thing. I have unfortunatley had to do this more than once. There is 2 needles the first is a sedative and then the second that sends our babies to the bridge. I am glad your kitty is no longer in pain and is now chasing mice on the bridge and will be waiting for you

July 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM
i think you made the right choice, you would have felt much worse watching him suffer. :sorry: for your loss but you made the right decision. :grouphug:

July 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I had to make the same choice once,although my cat was not as old as yours.:sad: The only other option for my Tigger would have been a constant catheter(not sure what it's called:confused: )
In those days(20yrs ago)not recommended by the vet.
Knowing you did the right thing,does not make losing him any easier but,you did what you had to do out of love and your kitty knows that.

As for the extra shots,usually in cats(4 of mine)one shot is all that's needed,depending on how sick they are.I am sure your vet had a medical reason for the several shots.

July 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm send a :grouphug: to you. I made the same decision in Dec of this year to my old girl 16yrs she was my very first kitty. Like mastifflover said the first is a sedative to make them relax and the next is to help them cross, my girl took 3 shots the vet was very surprised and it made me feel just awful thinking I gave up on her, every time I petted her and spoke to her she would breath again, and this wasn't just reflexes. It's making me teary just typing this:sad: You are a very kind owner for this old boy to make the final decision for him and not let him suffer, he went out with his dignity:grouphug:

July 12th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Libby,that must have been a terrible experience:sad: with my 4 cats(different times),it only took a second and they went to sleep forever.
I had each one of them in my arms,so I know they passed very peacefully,with only one needle.

July 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
It happen to me twice (with my cats) and I did the same as you.I didn't want them to suffer anymore.I feel better about it today.I would make the same decision today.I'm very sorry for your loss:sad:

July 12th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Thank you all for your kind has helped tremendously.