Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

potty training my minpin

melhansen19
July 11th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I feel like I have tried everything to potty train my minature pinture. I can't seem to do it though. She will sometimes go on a pet pad and others she will go right next to it. I don't get it. I have had dogs all my life and have never had such a hard time with it. I love this dog, but she is taking a toll on my carpet. Any suggestions?

jesse's mommy
July 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
What kind of training have you done so far? What routines have you established? Are you only using pee pads or are you training the dog to go outside? Also, how old is the dog?

the gang
July 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM
yayyyy another min pin lover, i have 4 -2 boys 2 girls, 2 sr. 2 jrs, all rescues btw, my last little girl was a little tough, decide what you want pee pads or outside, how old is she pm. me some info and i will be glad to help you out with what i know and have learned, around here they call me the min pin lady, min pins are very strong willed, also not to much water small bladers but i need more info hope to hear from you brenda.:grouphug:

melhansen19
July 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Miss Coco, my little lady, I think is a little over a year. We got her from a couple that weren't that upstanding. They had told me that coco and been fixed and that she had all of her shots and what not. It turned out that she wasn't fixed and they couldn't produce any papers on her puppy shots.

Anyway, I have tried a pet pad, taking her outside when she is done eating, and kenneling her. She howled the whole time in the kennel, she had no interest but exploring outside, and she only goes on the pet pad sometimes.

Any other ideas? I need some help before my finace gets fed up and gives her the boot!!!!

the gang
July 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
noooooo ill help you the best that i can do you have msn? send me all the info i will do my best to try and help you ***********

melhansen19
July 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
what info do you want me to send you? no I don't have msn either.......

the gang
July 11th, 2006, 10:02 PM
ok here we go, what is her daily rountein, mine go out first thing in the am early than breakfast than out again and not to much water !!take away pee pads! and just do outside, always praise and cookies when job well done, im telling you min pins are hard headed, a baby gate where your carpets are in the the living room, i have 4 baby gates, my 2nd min pin fell off sofa wrong way and was parillzed so no to getting on beds and sofa when im not there he is much better now i got him his own chryo, also with rosie i put a little bell at back door when we went out i rang it like a game, she now rings on her own to tell me she has to go !!take her out as many times as you can to pee and tons of praise only in her crate for time out or you have to go out, a crate is a happy place not for punshisment ,put a radio on or tv, a kong full of cwhiz or p.butter and a piece of your clothing to let her know your with her, has your perfume or sent on it it takes a few days but you need to try and make it a game for them its hard but after a couple of days she will start to get it, dont give her the run of the house, they can be sneeky too be careful i sure hope this helps i have given you my email address use it if you want thats why i gave it to you anything thing else im only a email away and would love to help if i can brenda.:fingerscr

MIA
July 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Best way to train a MinPin is to tether them to you and don't let them out of your site! If you aren't home crate or confine them. When they do go outside, throw a party!!!! I had a little girl here for a week and she's trained now!

MinPins have got to be one of the hardest dogs to house train (been doing rescue for years!) :crazy:

the gang
July 12th, 2006, 08:41 PM
mia i agree, i have had 6 min pins total ,and do work rescue, min pins are little buggers, try and try again they sometimes have a thick head its time good luck brenda.

MIA
July 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
ROFL Little buggers is an understatment! :evil: I have learned so much doing MinPin rescue it's amazing and sad... I never thought 10 pounds could be SO much trouble!