Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Integration!!!

CaityCat
July 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I woke up this morning to a pleading and teary telephone call from my sister. She could not provide the attention and care needed to the puppy she just bought. It's an 8 week old Puggle (pug/beagle) puppy, a little female. I also have a 6 1/2 week old kitten. Now, how do I adjust them? The kitten, Mr Kennedy, was here first, so it doesnt seem fair for me to isolate him. Nacho (the puggle) wants to play with him, and doesnt get that he is too little and fragile to roll and bite and jump on. I have MK in the bedroom to save him the trouncing. I thuoght her interest would wear off, but she wont leave him alone, chasing him and chewing. I know she is a puppy, and I hadnt expected to get a puppy any time soon, but now I've got one. Any tips? I need help! I've been giving MK lots of love but its not fair to coop him up in the bedroom alone. :(

pitgrrl
July 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Perhaps for the immediate problem you could get baby gates and section off the house. The puppy is probably safer without full run of the house anyways.
You can get gates of all sizes and shapes from Dr. Foster's and Smiths.

siberian3
July 11th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Squirt bottles work wonders on dogs (most of them at least). Just spray him if he is being too rough with the kitty and tell him no in a clear tone like you mean it. Pretty soon he will figure out that the spray bottle means he is doing something bad and all you will have to do is hold it, or put it in the room where he is, and he will know not to chase kitty.

I have found however, that it does not work on cats. LOL. When i tried with my cat he just looked at me like, what the heck are you doing? and then started licking the water off without moving. It was pretty funny actually.

good luck!

chico2
July 11th, 2006, 03:50 PM
CaityCat,it is of uppermost importance you keep this little kitten safe,after all he was a 4 week old little weakling when you got him.
Even if the little pup only wants to play,one playbite could kill this little kitten.
Babygates would be great,at least until the kitten is 100%.
You worked so hard having this little kitten survive,please do not let the puppy play with him.
You'll somehow have to split your time,kittens sleep a lot,make that the time to train your puppy.Good Luck!