Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd behaviour

purplestar
July 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hi all,
I wander if anyone is able to help. I have a Tom cat who is approx Twenty years old. He could be older as I have had him for 19 years and he was a full grown rescue cat when I got him. He was at least a year old. Just recently he has started to Poo in the house.:yuck: He goes outside but goes to the loo in the same spot in the hall. He has always been very clean:angel: and on the few occasions in the past he has done this it has been my fault for accidently locking him in. On such occasions he has been distressed after the event. :sorry: Recently he doesn't seem bothered. I don't think it is that he has been incontinent as it is in the same spot. It is a normal poo and he has no other health problems. Does anyone know if cats can have a form of feline dementia which could lead to behaviour like this. And if so are there other types of behaviour I may notice.

Trinitie
July 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
First off, welcome to our forums.

Now, you have a VERY old cat. While it's rare for a cat to live beyond 20+ years, you have to take his age into consideration when he deficates in the house.

When people get to be VERY old, they start to wear "Depends" to prevent noticable accidents. Animals are no different. While you shouldn't put Depends on your cat, or any other type of diaper (it would drive him nuts), you have to think that he's got uncontrolable bowels and bladder going on, due to age. As you suggested though, it could be dementia. Animals are prone to it as well.

Don't scold your cat, or punish him for something he cannot control. That would just make it worse, and he would try to hide his accidents, which would become rather stinky.

Give him lots and LOTS of love in his final years (or less) and spoil him rotten!

I hope this helps.

badger
July 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
If he was my cat, I'd take him to the vet anyway.

purplestar
July 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the advise. I would never punish him as he is a muched loved and highly respected member of the family. It just saddens me to witness such a character change. I was keen to hear the experiences others may have had as their pets have aged so I feel a little more prepared to deal with what may be ahead.
I did not realise he was unusual being in his twentith year but shouldn't be surprised as he is an extraordinary cat who has survived being run over, shot, fall from a high building and cancer which he recovered from a year and a half ago.
Thanks again for advise.

Lexie
July 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
that is one extrodinary cat you have there! he sure has 9 lives!! hope you both have the best of whats left with your cat!

chico2
July 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM
One friend of mine has two,19 yr old cats and another just had their 21 yr old cat put down.
She too would find a place other than the litter-box to poop in,usually behind their fireplace.
When they reach that age,like someone mentioned,things start failing,not that anything is necessarily wrong with them,it's just old age...but a vet-check would still be needed,if you have not had that done already.
Were it one of my cats,I would probably only clean up the poop and be happy I still have my much loved cat with me.Chances are he cannot control his bowels and is not happy about the fact.
Just love him for the time he has left and it's not impossible he could live for another couple of years:love:

Toonces
July 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Hi Purplestar and welcome

My kitty Toonces is 18 this yr, he has started to change, loud meows in the middle of the night, crying at the food dish when it is full or litter box and we keep it spotless and very cuddley to the point where I can't sit down and he is in my lap.

A few weeks ago he started vomiting in the middle of the night what looked like hairballs, this went on for a few nights and I took him to the vet, they did a full blood workup and he is fine, nothing wrong he just needed a chage in his diet. The vet said he should live well into his 20s, his weight is perfect and he still has a gorgeous coat but he has never been outside.

Spoil your baby rotten and take him in for a checkup just to be sure he is ok

purplestar
July 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Thank you all for the advise and the welcome. I spoke to the vet on the phone who has advised that if if keeps avoiding a clean tray he may be going senile as no other symptons are present. I have to say, toonces that he has in the last year displayed all the other behaviours you mentioned. I just never put them together. Rest assured he will be spoilt, loved and excepted whatever he does in his senior years.