Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Devil Wears Prada - 2006

marko
July 11th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I just saw this movie last night and...I was disappointed. The trailer suggests it is a comedy and it is not.

Although Meryl Streep is an amazing actress and she plays this character VERY well - The writing in this film is mediocre at best and the whole movie suffers because of it.

This movie as a drama has no meat. There is almost no character development, it is fairly lame and totally predictable. Like many Hollywood productions these days, all you need to see is the trailer and you've seen the whole film.

I give it a 4/10

MollysMommy
July 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but I completely agree with you about the trailers. Advertising for comedies has gotten so out of hand that they show all the good parts on the trailer and you find yourself completely disappointed by the film.

Two movies recently that were ruined:
The Family Stone
Failure to Launch

I was bummed by both when I saw the whole movie.

Puppyluv
July 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I read the book in Costa Rica two years ago.... no I am not ashamed to admit that 90% of my beach books are chick-lit. I really liked the book! (for what it was at least) It was suprisinly well written. I have no plans on seeing the movie because 1) I'll continuosly compare it to the book and 2) I can't stand Anne Hathaway.

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Marko are you John Griffin? His review in the gazoo was identical. Without Merryl Streep, it's a bomb. I haven't seen it yet though...

(As for the others, failure to launch just sucked, but the family stone was great IMO. A real tear jerker...)

Puppyluv, my stepmother calls them "beach books" and by definition they're girly or trashy... lol

marko
July 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Marko are you John Griffin? His review in the gazoo was identical. Without Merryl Streep, it's a bomb. I haven't seen it yet though...

Nope - not John Griffin - but I do wish I had his job.... and it's nice to hear that a professional movie reviewer and I shared the same feeling about this flick.

GinaB
July 29th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Totally agree, this movie was just bad. I kept waiting for it to get better and it never did. I need good characters and complexity to like a movie and although I did think Streep did a good job, this movie didn't cut it.