Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs at Work - Kind of ranty

Mahealani770
July 11th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Ok, so I work at a government job for the Unites States Postal Service. I'm in a professional office building and my boss and I, along with 2 other ladies, sit in this back room. My spacious cube has no windows, I'm surrounded by walls and no one ever comes back here. We call it, "the hole"..lol
I want to adopt this precious puppy mill survivor who is only about 3-4 lbs but I refuse to get a new dog only to have to leave her at home by herself while I'm at work. Anyway, I so badly want to ask my boss if it would be possible to bring the puppy with me here to work (for a few weeks) since no one ever comes back to our cubes and she's so tiny and all, but I think I'd be way out of line in doing so. This is, afterall, a professional office. So, I found this link to a company who allowed pets at work for "Bring your dog to work day" out in San Francisco. I forwarded this link to about 6 people in the office, including my boss and his boss. I didn't get ONE SINGLE response back except this nasty comment from a co-worker:

"The entire world and USA need more important things than worry about dogs....it is a nice idea.....but we all need priorities in life.." :eek:

Can you believe that? This co-worker is from Bolivia so maybe they feel differently about pets in Bolivia..I don't know...but I was outraged at this comment!!!:mad: But NONE of the pet-owning, pet-loving people in this office rallied behind me about the "Bring your dog to work" day! Nobody!

Anyway...
I've gone through a very long application process for several of the puppy mill survivors, screening, interviewing..all of that. It's easier to adopt a human child from China than it is to adopt one of these shelter babies..let me tell ya! lol
Anyway, I don't even know why I went through it. I guess I didn't think I'd get approved but I still wanted to try and do something good for an animal in need, yanno? So now that reality has set in and I know that I will have to turn down this opportunity to adopt, at this time, I'm just feeling kind of depressed. I choose to do what's best for the dog and wait until I'll be off work for a long period of time, or something. Maybe I'll have to wait until I'm retired before I can get another dog, but that's a hell of a long time away. I don't know. I just can't get a dog until I will be more available. I seriously wish I could work somewhere that allowed pets at work. Is that even a possibility? Are there jobs out there like that? I've thought about working for a shelter/humaine society just so I can be near animals, but I think the things I would see there would be too much for me to handle. I'm picturing myself coming home crying every day :sad: .
It's just that this situation has reminded me of just how unfulfilled/unsatisfied I am at my current job..or any job where there aren't animals around, for that matter.
Thanks,
~M~

HunterXHunter
July 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Does your co-workers/supervisor(s) in and around "the hole" like pets (dogs in particular in this case)?

If so, start bringing up these sad puppy mill stories during your coffee breaks/lunch and see how they react. If they sympathize (sp?) with them, bring out the topic of how you're going to be caring for a survivor soon and how you feel back about having to leave it at home...if you do a good job at this, maybe they'll even suggest that you bring the puppy in for the next few weeks :thumbs up

jawert1
July 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM
As I see it, its all going to depend on a few factors, the first of which are building rules. If it's a federal building then you're somewhat out of luck, since most of the rules/regulations there prohibit animals with the exception of seeing eye dogs (pardon the non PC language - it's not meant to offend). If it isn't, then it would be at the mercy of whatever company is actually in charge of the building. If you find out that the building management company has no rules or is willing to bend them, and your boss would also be ok with it, then you're golden. I know my company used to allow pets, but they don't anymore :/ Good luck, I know somehow this will work out :)

LianneCatherine
July 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I had the same issue with my work. I tried to advocate a bring your dog to work thing since Audrie was such a little puppy who needed some extra care during her first few weeks. My boss didn't allow it, and I've not heard anything about even a once a year kind of thing.

Some companies are legally tied in terms of allowing animals on the premises. They would need supplimental insurance in case someone were bit, etc. So it can be a real hassle. It's just easier for them to not allow any pets. Poo! :mad:

Mahealani770
July 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Lianne...what did you do when you had to be at work and away from your puppy? My heart is broken that I can't have this sweet baby, but I want what's best for her and that means not leaving her at home alone while I'm at work. I'm trying to find another way to do this by bringing her to work with me, but it's not going to happen...so that means..no puppy :sad: .

siberian3
July 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Do they have dog day care places around where you live? Or at least dog walkers/sitters? That might be an option that would allow you to have a dog and maintain a full time work schedule.. They have a lot around here (Seattle) but I don't know what its like where you are.

Also there are definitely plenty of employers who will let you bring your dog to work. My boyfriend works at a small start up business here in Seattle and he brings our husky/heeler mix to work one or two times a week usually. Everyone there loves him as he is well behaved. His boss has actually asked us multiple times if we would give him to her!! (which of course we would never do but its great that she likes him so much!). I have other friends who bring their large dogs to work on a regular basis too.

Good luck!

BoxerRescueMTL
July 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Mahealani, if you can't bring a pup to work and you still really want to help a rescue pooch...why not adopt an older adult or senior who really needs some love & has very low chances at adoption? Most of these dogs are already trained, can stay home alone, and you already know their temperament and if they are good w/dogs etc. You'd be doing something great, and it sounds like it might suit your work situation better.....? :love:

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I so agree with BoxerRescue. Old doggies are so far down the priority list for adopters when they have the smallest chance of actually finding a forever home, even if forever is a bit shorter.

Old doggies rock!

LM1313
July 12th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I agree, rescuing an older doggy is definitely saving a life. :)

I love the idea of dogs at work, but find myself wondering what would happen if someone had a dog that barked a lot. I also think office politics would make a lot of dogs stressed and unhappy . . . They would be able to sense any tension.

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Yes yes yes older dogs are great. They do not need nearly the training that a pup needs. I really believe that these older dogs just want to be loved and cared for and to care for you. I also believe that rescue dogs have seen the bad and are so happy to be somewhere they are loved they will do anything to make you happy. They truly are grateful and they show it all the time. I honestly do not think I would ever get a dog that was not a rescue.

Mahealani770
July 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Good morning everyone,
Thanks for all the comments, encouragement, and advice. Like Mastiff lover, I too will never get an animal that is not a rescue. The pup I'm talking about is a rescue, however, I do want to help out the older dogs who are in need of a good home. So, I have been looking at the same shelter where the baby chi is at, for an older dog and I will let you all know how it goes!
Thanks,
~M~

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Good luck and keep us posted

koalat
July 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM
When I was working in Montreal and believe it or not, in a law office, I took my Dalmatian, Max to work with me many times. He did not like to be alone and taking him to the office meant he could sleep under my desk and actually gave me some additional exercise by taking him out for walks during the day.

The boss I was working for really loved seeing Max at work, and as long as he remained quiet as he usually was and just happy to be with me, everything was fine.

Now it would be another story as I do work in a federal building and it's a real no to bringing in pets except for dogs for people with special needs, as another person already detailed.

If I were you I would ask anyway, the only responses would be either yes or no so give it a shot.

I've also read articles in the past about people sharing dogs, e.g. during the day they spend their day with one family, retired person, etc. and at night with their other family. It's a great way for people to have a pet without feeling guilty about putting them in a dog daycare.

Let us know what happens with this.

Bushfire2000
July 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I've also read articles in the past about people sharing dogs, e.g. during the day they spend their day with one family, retired person, etc. and at night with their other family. It's a great way for people to have a pet without feeling guilty about putting them in a dog daycare.

That is such a wonderful idea. It would be great to find someone to share your dog with.
Seniors are great too.
But remember Nicki has to be able to adjust to the situation too.
Good luck.

Smiley14
July 20th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I can totally sympathize with you! I am single and work long hours each day. I am usually gone for 10-12 hours M-F. So as much as I desperately wanted a puppy, I knew that would not be fair or practical. I manage a bank office, so for us, dogs too are not allowed in the workplace. :( I too have tried to spark interest in "Bring Your Dog to Work Day," but our Corporate offices will not allow it at all.

So I patiently (and sometimes impatiently!) searched petfinder.org for adult dogs. It took 5 months, but as soon as I saw Petey's picture and read his discription, I knew it would be a perfect fit for us both. Best choice I ever made. :) I personally did not care so much about breed as I did about personality and training. I knew I needed a house-trained dog and I wanted one that did not have to be kenneled as I already had a doggie door that leads into my fenced backyard from my previous baby Max, who died a few years ago. I knew I wanted a rescue dog and one that was good with cats and children. Petey was the first dog that fit all those descriptions. So I emailed right away and filled out an application and the organization brought him over to my house within a few days. From there we both lived happily ever after, lol! :)
I do have a dog walker come out to my house every day now as well, but I know that can be pretty expensive. Petey loves her to death, but he did just fine before she starting coming as well.

My sister also works long hours and she rescued a 1yr old min pin who is crate trained. Betsy stays in her crate for about 9 hours every day and does just fine.

As long as they get plenty of attention and exercise and love in the time you are home with them, I wouldn't let just your work hours hold you back. Good luck and I hope you find your perfect baby too! :)

Steph

Mahealani770
July 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks so much everyone. The day I posted my original thread, I printed out a picture of the baby chi and placed it on my desk so that my boss would see it. It worked. He asked me who the "cutie" was, I told him, explained how I would love to adopt her but that I would need to keep her in a playpen here in my office cube...and nothing. I got nothing from him. The only thing he said was, "She'd eventually get used to being at home alone."
So..I basically had my answer and that's fine. I emailed the woman at the rescue and politely backed out of the running, as there were several families applying for this sweet baby. I explained the situation and even though she said that the dog would be fine, I told her that I wanted what was best for the dog. She told me that she completely respected my decision and loved the fact that I cared more for the dog's well-being. So, I looked for older dogs on her website and I saw a few that I liked, however, I have decided to wait until we move into a house. I want our furbabies to have a lot of room and a back yard to play in before we get another dog. So, unless I find a job that will allow me to bring my pet to work..Nicky will be an only child..lol
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments, they are appreciated. :)
~M~

Smiley14
July 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks so much everyone. The day I posted my original thread, I printed out a picture of the baby chi and placed it on my desk so that my boss would see it. It worked. He asked me who the "cutie" was, I told him, explained how I would love to adopt her but that I would need to keep her in a playpen here in my office cube...and nothing. I got nothing from him. The only thing he said was, "She'd eventually get used to being at home alone."
So..I basically had my answer and that's fine. I emailed the woman at the rescue and politely backed out of the running, as there were several families applying for this sweet baby. I explained the situation and even though she said that the dog would be fine, I told her that I wanted what was best for the dog. She told me that she completely respected my decision and loved the fact that I cared more for the dog's well-being. So, I looked for older dogs on her website and I saw a few that I liked, however, I have decided to wait until we move into a house. I want our furbabies to have a lot of room and a back yard to play in before we get another dog. So, unless I find a job that will allow me to bring my pet to work..Nicky will be an only child..lol
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments, they are appreciated. :)
~M~

Oh, so sad and frustrating about your boss' reaction. :mad:
But it sounds like you've made the wise decision for now. Thanks for the update! :)