Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Five year old attacked by GSD...

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM
A friend of my man's son, who is five, was attacked by a GSD on the weekend. Totally mauled. His face was unrecognizable. :sad: They had gone to put their boat in the water at a particular marina, and the dog was tied to a post. While the dad was working on the boat nearby, apparently the little guy walked away to see the dog and got mauled. A stranger kicked the dog off the child and carried him far enough away so the dog couldn't reach them. At this point, the dad was already running to them and the boy was brought to the hospital where he underwent a 10 hour reconstructive surgery.

Apparently, this dog was kept at that marina as a "guard" dog and had attacked before. He's supposed to be put down this week.

What I wish so hard is for people to stop associating aggression with being a guard dog. Guard dogs are not aggressive to everybody and everything that passes by. Guard dogs are not anti-social and vicious. To train your dog to be a guard dog is not to make him aggressive. If you have an aggressive dog, you have a dog who is dangerous to everybody, including YOU.

The amazing thing is the little boy is still not afraid of dogs. He told his dad that he has met enough friendly GSDs in his lifetime (of FIVE years) to know that this one was a bad one, but he'll try to be more careful next time. :love:

Just a crazy story I heard today...

mummummum
July 11th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Poor wee riggins. I hope his face isn't scarred for life. It sounds like he is a very intelligent and empathetic child for someone so young.

And I agree with your thoughts about "guard dogs". This sounds more like a stereotypical "junkyard dog" who probably suffered a horrible life.

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Exactly- that's the exact phrase they used (but in French ;)) to describe his mannerisms. A dog just left there all the time to spook people, who just became more and more dangerous as time passed.:sad:

Toonces
July 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Prin I am so sorry this happened to your mans friends little boy, I can't even imagine how scarey that must have been for him, his dad and all involved. It is so important to teach children not to go near a strange dog but sometimes kids just don't listen, they see a cute bundle of fur and don't think it will hurt them. I am glad to hear he is not afraid of gsds what a brave little solder he is

I feel bad for the dog too, what a crappy life for any dog to have, tied to a post and left to his own devices:sad:

I hope the little guy recovers fast and is not scarred for life over one very unfortunate incident

technodoll
July 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM
man that just SUCKS for everyone involved... :sad: where is the dog's owner in all of this? aren't they liable? :confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your mans friends little boy, poor little guy I couldnt imagine if that happened to one of my kids. :( That is so horrifying for that boy and his parents. Sounds like this dog had no socialization or something so they thought he'd make a great guard dog. Well I guess he did his job :evil:

I personally believe that dogs should be pets and not guard dogs JMHO :) - if you are in trouble and your dog senses danger than great. I believe we should use alarms and human security guards not dogs to protrect us.

Exceptions to this rule are police dogs and drug sniffing dogs that are highly trained.

coppperbelle
July 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM
man that just SUCKS for everyone involved... :sad: where is the dog's owner in all of this? aren't they liable? :confused:

They didn't want to be interviewed on camera and walked away when the reporter approached them. The dog is a mix by the way. I believe it may be Malamute/GSD. They showed the little boys face on tv last night. It is amazing that they were able to stitch it all back together.

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Oh really? It made the news? I missed that. Regardless of the breed (it doesn't really matter), it was the conditions it was living in that caused this, IMO. Bad owners again.

I haven't heard any updates since I posted, but if I do, I'll let you all know.

jiorji
July 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
that's so sad :sad: I hope that poor child recovers well. I really admire his attitude. Good thing he wasn't traumatized at that young age. there's many adults I know that totally hate dogs cos of some childhood incident that happened to them.

as for the dog..sad again....it's bad dog training that makes dogs like that give GSD a bad reputation. And whether it was a mix or not, it doesn't matter as it will be labelled as what breed he looks closer to, and that breed will get looked down on.

Aren't guard dogs supposed to be with someone? This man my parents know has hired GSDs as guard dogs to watch over his garage at night as many of the cars have been broken into, but the dogs come with someone so that they're never unattended.

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I found an article in French...
http://www.canoe.com/infos/societe/archives/2006/07/20060712-073601.html
The dog bit a 15 year old two weeks ago and mauled an employee last summer.

They also say that the owner doesn't really care and just told them to sue him- he has good insurance. :rolleyes:

Sad...

(btw, the article says he was a samoyed/GSD.. just to be accurate.. not that it matters in the end..)

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Here's a tiny pic of the boy http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/cfcf#news_6789 (if you click on it, it gets bigger)

His face looks so pieced together.:sad: I hope he recovers well.

Skryker
July 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Poor little guy and poor dog!:sad: What a shame that innocents suffer b/c the owner just doens't seem to care.

K9Friend
July 14th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Parents have to teach their children to not approach strange dogs - to not stare them in the eye - ugh!

No excuse for this irresponsible dog owner though. bloody idiot.:mad:

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I thought he went to see the dog, but the witness guy said he was just trying to walk by to catch up to his mom who had gone to the bathroom or something... He thought he was far enough away from the dog, but the chain/rope was longer than he thought. Even worse.:sad:

LL1
July 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
That poor child,what was his father thinking.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
What do you mean?

LL1
July 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
In addition to not teaching the child to not approach strange dogs,leaving a small child unattended at a marina.Sad that his fate could have been so much worse.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Wow, now there's a judgement.

Actually, if you read the post right above your previous post, the boy wandered away for a minute after his mother and tried to avoid the dog on the way.:)

LL1
July 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I did read that.

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM
And? You still judge like that? I guess you have kids then and they never wander away ever?

LL1
July 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Is it better to only judge the owner of the tied dog?Some had no problems with that.Many factors played into what happened,and I suppose it is better the child did not drown or get snatched by a pedophile.

K9Friend
July 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Is it better to only judge the owner of the tied dog?Some had no problems with that.Many factors played into what happened,and I suppose it is better the child did not drown or get snatched by a pedophile.

Exactly.

I walk a large dog and if I could tell you the # of times I have had small children (2-4 yrs old) running out into the street (no adult supervision around) run right up to me and my dog. Luckily my dog likes small kids but I'm still careful and usually give the children a small speech on what to do or not do around a dog. As a responsible dog owner, you need to tell people too. :pawprint:

phoenix
July 15th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Sorry I agree too. The parents have been through hell I'm sure, and I don't mean to judge (ie. I'm not saying they are bad parents)... but parents need to be with kids around water and animals every second. I just heard a good ad on the radio the other day... this is the sound of a child drowning- then absolute silence. It's so true... and happily the child is alive.

Toonces
July 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I also agree, not to judge but it can happens so fast, like our dogs little tykes can wander off and they need us to protect them from everything

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Well I don't agree. He was trying to catch up with his mom. He wasn't trying to see the dog at all. Are you guys saying that you've never had a child that was with you follow behind you? Obviously the mom walked by and nothing happened, so there wasn't much reason to think that something would happen when the boy walked by. I don't think this was a case of irresponsible parenting. I would love to hear a parent or child care giver out there tell me that they have kept their eyes on their children 24/7 since they were born.

Golden Girls
July 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I also seen it on the news, what a tragedy. The little boy will be ok so thank god and the dog has since been euthanized. The responsibility lies with this owner. The dog also bit a 15 year old 2 weeks ago as well as an employee last year which obviously wasn't reported. It was only now said the dog was extremely aggressive (don't have to wonder why)yet here she was tied everyday at a public marina. The dog afterall was only doing what she was no doubt trained to do which is to protect his property ... BOATS, and a little innocent boy and dog both paid the price :sad:

Aren't guard dogs supposed to be with someone? This man my parents know has hired GSDs as guard dogs to watch over his garage at night as many of the cars have been broken into, but the dogs come with someone so that they're never unattended.:confused: what do you mean, they hire a guard who owns GSD's as a night-watcher?

The only rented guard dog companies that I know of just rent out completely "beaten into submission" then taught to attack type of guard dogs so accidents of the kind will always be until people stop this kind of demand and spend a little money on an alarm system or human guard.

joeysmama
July 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM
My brother's child fell and needed stitches on his chin. The accident happened WHILE his mother was holding onto him. He was learning to walk and she was sitting on the sofa, he was standing in front of her holding onto the coffee table and she had both of her hands firmly on his little sides. He bobbled, his chin hit the edge of the coffee table and split open.

With children you are as careful as you can possibly be and STILL they can slip away from you in the blink of an eye.

I could tell you so many stories of responsible, even very protective, parents whose children were hurt or wandered off, seemingly right from under their noses.

I'm so sorry about the little boy ! I hope that all of his scars are able to heal well and thank God that he wasn't injured more seriously than this. A child that small it could have been even worse. Just terrible !

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM
What a sad story. A lot of mistakes made on everyone's part. :(

Glad to hear the litle boy is alright. :thumbs up Sorry to hear of the dog's fate. :sad:

mona_b
July 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM
This is a very sad story...And I feel for the child and parents.:sad:

Toonces,you are so right.We can tell(teach) our kids till we are blue in the face and at times they will not listen.I have a 19 year old like that...:rolleyes:

And from what I have grasped from this story,it is the dogs owner that lies responsible.This dog,being a Gaurd Dog should NOT have been tied up where people and kids have free access to walk about.

Aren't guard dogs supposed to be with someone? This man my parents know has hired GSDs as guard dogs to watch over his garage at night as many of the cars have been broken into, but the dogs come with someone so that they're never unattended.

Yes.This is from a K9 Security Co...These are highly trained(not beaten)dogs.Many,if not all have been SchH III trained and titled.They are trained and then sold to Security Companies.And there is a huge difference between a Gaurd Dog and a SchH trained dog.Many people who train their dogs to be gaurd dogs will train them to attack anyone and any thing.Their dogs are not socialized.A SchH III trained dog is not trained this way.My dog is SchH III titled(retired Police Dog)..He LOVES everyone and everything and wouldn't hurt a fly.He was also trained to "hold" not rip someone apart.These dogs are trained to attack on command only.