Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Castor & Pollux Organix

mommy2coco
July 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I've bought this brand to try with my dog (15 mos old Dutch Shepard) - we adopted her 2 weeks ago and her former owners stated they used IAMS so I tried to keep with what she knew - but she didn't seem to like it .....

I'd appreciate any any thoughts or experiences with Organix ??? Thanks

Prin
July 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Is it expensive? If it is, I'd find something else... It's another one of those foods where you pay for "organic" and you don't get it.

Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Peas, Organic Extruded Soybean Seeds, Organic Barley, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tochopherols, Rosemary, and Citric Acid), Dicalcium Phosphate, Salmon Meal, Natural Liver Flavor, Organic Flaxseed, Dried Whole Egg, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ascorbic Acid+, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Ribo- flavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamin Mono- nitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Biotin, Dried Fermentation Products of Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Aspergillus Niger, Enterococcus Faecum, Trichoderma Longbrachiatum and Bacillus Subtilis (sources of direct fed microbials and digestive enzymes), Glucosamine Hydrochloride+, Chondroitin Sulfate+.

And it has the dreaded synthetic vitamin K, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (how organic is that?!).

But you see, the "organic" chicken is wet and the regular chicken is dry, so the dry is #1 on the list after cooking (which dehydrates the meat), bumping the "organic" that you're paying for way down the list.

Those two (major) things aside, it's ok food.;)

mommy2coco
July 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM
wow.... thanks ... i have so much to learn !!!

Prin
July 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I found this one: http://www.karmaorganic.com/
All the ingredients are organic, but we'd have to see a bag to tell where the chicken falls... I think it's super grainy and the chicken is going to end up pretty far down the list, but then again, the list on their website might not be in order and it may or may not be chicken meal instead of wet chicken...

But with all the grains, especially the wheat, it's not a food for allergy-prone doggies.