Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy won't eat! Help!

Alliebanana85
July 10th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I recently adopted a 6 week old miniature dachshund puppy from a local breeder and she has absolutely no interest in food. Initially I thought it might just be because she's so young and stressed out about being separated from her mother and litter mates, but it's been almost a week and she still has not improved. I brought her to the vet over the weekend and was given perscription dog food and instructions to hand feed her. She'll lick some food off my hand and fingers and then quickly lose interest and become uncooperative. I've also noticed that she has recently become disinterested in drinking her water, so i've been giving her water with a dropper. Other than her lack of appetite, she seems healthy, alert, and playful. Could this be a sign that something is seriously wrong? Should I bring her back to the vet? I really don't know what to do at this point, so any suggests you might have are very much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

mastifflover
July 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I would most definitely take the pup back to the vet and have him run a blood panel and take a feces sample with you the first of the morning along with urine just in case he wants them then they can run tests right away. Pups should not be taken from their mom till 8 weeks in my opinion.But the dog being so young really needs all the nutrients and vitamins. If you do not feel comfortable with the vet try another one. Also what does the breeder say about this.

SunGurl372
July 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Pups should not be taken from their mom till 8 weeks in my opinion.

Aack! Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought most small breeds should stay with mom until 10 weeks! Actually, most puppies benefit from the extended exposure.

A return trip to the vet is definitely in order, if not this one, then another!

BMDLuver
July 10th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry but really... this is not a breeder so if we could not refer to the person as one it would be appreciated. You basically bought a puppy from a byb most likely. A breeder would not let a pup leave it's mom prior to 8 weeks and most likely as it's a Doxie, not before 10-12 weeks. That being said...

This pup needs quality calories regularly. If the pup is not interested in eating then mix some of the wet food with a bit of water to make it more smushy. Then get a syringe and squirt a tiny amount at a time in the pups mouth. Do not shove the food down it's throat as it can aspirate and die. Make sure it is getting a minimum of 15ml's per feeding. As it is 6 weeks old, you must feed it every 3 hours. If it appears at all lethargic, vomits, has loose stool etc... back to the vet. Watch it's gum color... if it is pale then it is dehydrating. If it is too red, then it's not good either. This pup is very fragile at this age and size so a matter of hours can make a difference.

Good luck and I hope this pup makes it and you don't have a hard lesson to learn about buying from a byb.

This post is in no way meant to bash the OP, what is done is done but rather to educate and hope that one day everyone will know the difference between a byb and a breeder.

mastifflover
July 10th, 2006, 08:02 PM
You said it better than I would have. I did not know it was 10 weeks for small breeds but I know 8 weeks no less and the longer the better. Unfortunatley these unsuspecting people pay for not knowing any better with sick dogs and big vet bills. I hope everything turns out alright for your dog. If this was a real breeder she would never have let the dog go so young and if the dog was ill she would be involved in getting the dog help and most likely paying for it.