Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

warning signs for heat - cat

Sam
January 17th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Stupid question, but how do you know when to take a female cat to get neutered/spayed after having kittens? Background is that a pregnant female adopted us a few months ago, she had a litter of 4, 2 survived. We were waiting until she stopped nursing to get her neutered and next thing we knew, she got a little too round around her tummy and now we have a new batch of 4 kittens. Sooooooo, are there any warning signs to look out for to know when the right time to take her to the vet? Right now, mother cat and babies are occupying the garage and our family is now 1 puppy and 8 cats strong!:confused:

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Female cats can get pregnant while nursing very young kittens, as you have found out.

Are you letting her out? She'll be pregnant again if you are.

Do NOT let her out, and take her to get spayed as soon as the kittens are eating solid food.

Where are you? I hope the garage is heated if you're in a cold place.

Sam
January 18th, 2004, 01:01 PM
We're right in the middle of US, cold but not freezing or below zero like some states. But don't worry, she and all the kittens are well taken care of .... well insulated garage with double insulated garage door, those comfortable pad warmers for their "latest" habitat (they tend to occupy the puppy's dog house (waiting for spring to take it outside and she lives inside anyway) -- well insulated, cushioned and warm, so I move the bed warmers around when she moves the new kittens -- when she hasn't moved them herself to one of the other warmers). Since the mother came to us after obviously being dumped in the countryside, she is much healthier but has an adversion to staying inside the house too long (we tried to have her adapt to inside living to no avail). She trusts us much more these days, but I think living on her own until she found us got her wild side to come out and stay a bit. They all visit inside the house but not more than 10 minutes then she and the oldest 2 kittens want back in the garage, guess the freedom of romping wherever they please.

And now that I know nursing isn't a deterrent, she isn't going outside until she is "protected."

Lucky Rescue
January 18th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Glad to hear the kitties are safe. What will you do with all these kittens? If you keep any, get them spayed or neutered before 6 months old, and for females - by 5 months at the latest.

As for mom, I have tamed cats so feral that they have never been even within 50 feet of a human, much less lived in a house. They had to be caught in traps and were as wild as foxes.

Cats are creatures of habit, and your cat has the habit of being outside.
She WILL adapt to life indoors. It just takes patience and persistance for her to understand that she is safe now. Put her in one room with her kittens and box, etc. and go in and visit her, play with her and let HER come to YOU. Cats that you tame form an incredible bond with you, and their trust is very touching to see.

Last year I trapped a feral adult tomcat that I could not get closer than 100 yards to. His terror was so great he spent 3 days on a windowsill - screaming, not eating or drinking or using the litterbox.
Here he is now, cuddled with a feral kitten I am fostering and taming. He looks like he got over his desire to go out, doesn't he?;)

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/1047157/2044454/41173314.jpg