Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

travel to Canada

shawnmiller
July 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Hello
I will be traveling to Canada next week and I will be taking my pet.
I was wondering if anyone has ever experinced problems getting there pet in and out.
I hear all I need is a copy of shot records and a health certificate.
I do not want to try and get back into the US with my puppy and they say your pet must be quarentee for x amount of time.
Any information or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.
Shawn

Overlord
July 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, the politicians in Ontario have banned Pit bulls and similar dogs. I don't know what your "pet" is, but if it is or could be mistaked for a pit bull or pit bull mixed breed, you can not enter Ontario.

If you do, and you are caught, your dog would face euthanization. It doesn't make for a nice trip.

Mike

phoenix
July 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Yes, this is true and good advice, here is from the bill faq:

"Can I visit Ontario with a prohibited dog?
Except for show dogs and flyball dogs that fall within a very narrow set of criteria, you are not allowed to
bring a prohibited dog into Ontario after August 28. If you are visiting Ontario with your dog and a peace
officer identifies it as a prohibited dog, you must provide proof that your dog is not. If you cannot, then you may face fines or jail time and your dog may be confiscated and destroyed."

If your dog has papers, bring them! Otherwise, I'd be very cautious about visiting Ontario with your dog unless it is very obviously not a 'Pitbull type'.

BTW, Mike, I think your website in your sig violates the pets.ca rules about self promotion and also I find it in bad taste. Think you could remove it?

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Entering Canada: http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=canadaonline&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.inspection.gc.ca%2Fenglish%2Fa nima%2Fheasan%2Fimport%2Fpetse.shtml
Entering the US:
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/pets.ctt/pets.pdf

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
BTW, Mike, I think your website in your sig violates the pets.ca rules about self promotion and also I find it in bad taste. Think you could remove it?

Agreed!!~~

TracyG
July 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I took my golden across from Canada to the US a couple of times last year when she was a puppy. All I had was her papers from the vet saying which shots she'd had. The customs agent basically looked in the car, saw a bounding happy puppy with her tail wagging and tongue sticking out and said, "Looks like a healthy puppy to me!". :)

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 05:50 PM
When I crossed, they didn't ask to see anything, but there is always the chance that they will ask to see everything. So IMO, it's better safe than sorry.

koalat
July 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Here is a link for you to check out but with your dog's health certificate and up-to-date shots, he/she will be fine.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogse.shtml

mummummum
July 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I would suggest that in addition to all your health/shots certs you bring your dog licence papers, a copy of any tattoo/ microchip documents, the contact information for your regular Vet and a current photo of your dog.

Overlord
July 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM

... It was meant in good fun (which you had to get to the second page to understand). But for you guys, I will remove it. .. well I would, but someone beat me to it. Lesson learned.

PetFriendly
July 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
My aunt and uncle have travelled back and forth from Canada to Florida with their less than young terrier mix without problem. They had proof of all vaccinations, they always got pretty much every shot possible just to be sure, municipal license, microchip tag and, oddly enough, a notarized letter from their attorney saying they had every intention of bringing the dog back to Canada with them (they never had to show any of the docs though, Max would sleep in the back seat through the whole thing).

I also think that a rabies shot is mandatory in Ontario, not positive, but fairly certain.

shawnmiller
July 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all of you who replied to my post. I will be leaving for Canada Friday and I feel alot better about it. I have everything I need. I was just worried he is so little.
Thanks again.