Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could my dog have rabies??

Lexie
July 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone, new member here.

Like everyone here, i love my pet very, very much. But this is my first time taking care of my dog, so i dont really know what is normal about what he may be doing, or not. so a little info about him.

he is a 10 month old shih tzu. he is mostly white with a few light brown patches here and there on his fur.

1st question: on his body, his skin, he has dark patches all over his body. you can only see it when he's wet. the areas that does not have the dark patches, are pinkish.. basically it looks healthy to me. near his rear is where most of the dark patches are. very dark, and a very different color variation from the light pink skin he has. my question is: could this be a sign of skin cancer or skin disease??? or anything that i should be concerned of?

2nd question: we spent the whole day on a boat today, with tons of food, 16 people, and a lot of fish (i dont know if this info may be relevant with this question). anyway, at the end of the day (8 hrs later) after i have bathed him, his lower jaw seemed to be shaking uncontrollably, for a quick few seconds. then it stops. a couple minutes later, it starts up again. i was not there when this happened, but my brother says there was a little bit of foam coming out of his mouth at the same time. he also says, "This could be a symptom of rabies" which of course, freaked me out. the thing is, this has happened only once before, which was a long time ago, so its not common for him to do this. but since he did this after a shower (at the time, he was not 100% dry, but more close to 70%) could he just be quivering? could it be rabies?

please help me. as a new owner, i am currently very scared. so any responses is very much appreciated.

Shaykeija
July 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well lets see.....spots are normal. Is your dog up to date on vaccines? If not get your butt to the vet and get it done ASAP. A vet visit should be the first thing you do tomorrow to rule out anything. You dog could have ingested something on the boat that makes him quiver. Please post back after you do see the vet and let us know how your dog is.

OntarioGreys
July 10th, 2006, 12:43 AM
The dark patches is skin pigment like us having freckles, if you look inside his mouth you will likely see dark pigmented areas as well, those are normal ;)

He can only get rabies from being bit by another animal who has rabies,

The jaw quivering could simply be an excitement response from the bath

sometimes animals may foam a tiny tiny bit, possibly from stomach gas or mild upset stomach she may have had too many human treats possibly

Now I have seen animals foam alot after grabbing hold of a non poisonous toad, they are mildly toxic to them but will have the dog trying to spit out the taste but usually not harmful

If she starts acting different and seems to be getting sick then get take her to the vet

Being you are in Florida there is one dangerous poisonous toad to beware of it is the bufo toad, they are deadly to dogs, there is no reason to suspect this right now at this time , this is just info so you are are aware of this danger and can protect her

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/bites4.htm
http://www.pgaa.com/canine/health/bufotoad.html

These are the giant type here is a picture in this link
http://www.floridagardener.com/critters/BufoMarinus.htm

But being in florida you should watch closely outside as there is a

http://www.pgaa.com/canine/health/bufotoad.html

jesse's mommy
July 10th, 2006, 06:03 AM
It depends on where in Florida she is because they are knowin to live in Southern Florida. I live in Central Florida and we don't have them here. ;) We have brown recluse spiders and water mockessins here.

bethaliz
July 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
First let me welcome you! And let me express that I am in a similar postion as you, in that I currently have my first dog as well. I understand your concerns and wanting to care for your new pet. I also have a Shih Tzu and I think they are great!

I do have a little bit of an advantage, in that both of my aunt's each own three Shih Tzu's. Also a friend of my family is a Shih tzu breeder. Because of this I have lots of places to go to get information when I have trouble with Roxie. I've actually just started really working with our breeder, trying to get into the world of dog's and show. But I still have a long way to go. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

To adress your first question: The dark and pink pigmentation that you have noticed is completely normal. I have never ment a Shih Tzu that has completely pink skin. I have also notice that the dark spots tend to be darker in the rear. If you have not had your puppy fixed you will notice that his Testicles will be much darker almost black. It is normal, but I would recommend you have him fixed, if he is not a show dog. But the dark spots are not caner or indicating that there is anything wrong with him.

Skin irritations on Shih Tzu's show up on their coat,parts of their white fur will become a reddish colour. You may also notice flaking that looks like dandruf, or bumps on their skin. If you notice any of these signs, it would be cause for concern and to take him to the vet. But right now, your puppy sounds like he's in good health and I would not worry about it.

As for your second question: As was said before your dog can ONLY get rabies by being biten by an animal with rabies. If your dog was on the boat all day, he was most likely not in contact with an animal with Rabies.

I would say that the shaking was in response to his bath. I have never met a Shih Tzu that does not shake or quiver after a bath, especially when they are still damp. They can also shake when they are scared or excited. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with him, but because there was foam, I would contact your breeder or vet, just over the phone to make sure nothing is out of order.

Good luck with your puppy! Keep us updated and post some pictures!

Prin
July 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM
You can get rabies from coming into contact with the saliva of a rabid animal, not just by getting bitten...

That said, I think it's more likely white dog shaker syndrome or whatever it's called that little white dogs get that causes them to shake when they're overly excited, stimulated or tired. But ask your vet to be sure there's nothing else going on.

For the black spots, as long as your vet sees them and says they're freckles (as opposed to a skin problem, parasite or hormonal issue- it's hard to tell from a description what is really going on) then you're in the clear.:)

Lexie
July 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM
first off, thanks very much to everyone that replied to this post

shaykeija, i would think he is up to date on his shots. he's had the first few shots a puppy would need to get when they're born, but as for the rabies & heartworm shots, i havent got to that yet. now that it's summer, are those shots needed now?? anyway, he's going to the vet tomorrow. i've made an appointment. i will update everyone as soon as i get back.

OntarioGreys, thank goodness the dark patches are normal!!! thanks for clearing that up for me :) but as for the jaw quivering due to an excitment from the bath, thats not very likely. usually, after hes done bathing, he goes crazy for about 5 minutes, jumping on our couches, carpets, and just rubs his head against it like he's nuts, or he'd scratch the place until he has no energy left! but today, he seems to be normal. i guest that was nothing to worry about :) and also, thanks for warning me about the bufo toad! i live in Port Charlotte, which is more SW then South Florida, but do you think they're here also???

jesse's mommy, LOL at least they dont hurt our pets...... right?

you are one lucky person, bethalize. because im the only person in all my families to have a pet...! first off, Good Luck w/ the Dog Shows!!!!!!!
i've been reading around this forum and everybody is always talking about needing to get our pets fixed. but i dont know why it is needed. and are there any health problems that will arise if we Dont get them fixed? thanks for clearing me up!! i was in tears the day i posted this topic!! i thought i was going to lose my pup!! i will be asking you a lot of questions in the future about my little one :)

Prin, if i read it rightt, only little white dogs do this? and they do that when they're tired also?!! now it definately makes sense. he was probably just tired from being out in the sun and on the boat the whole day!! thanks :)

agian, thank you ALL!! :) this has definately made my day

btw, this is my little punk :) this is a picture w/ his hair long and veryyy messy (just woke up from a sleep hair LOL) are there any cuts i can get for him other than the famous long hair for show dogs? are there any cuts for male dogs, so he looks like a boy?! pictures and descriptions greatly appreciated!! the sooner i know the cuts, the sooner he'll start to look good!!

OntarioGreys
July 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM
i've been reading around this forum and everybody is always talking about needing to get our pets fixed. but i dont know why it is needed. and are there any health problems that will arise if we Dont get them fixed?

Getting neutered lowers the risk of prostrate cancer, as he matures he may go through behavioural changes due to increase testosterone starting about 7 or 8 months , which can include marking in the house, agressiveness, some stubbornness and rebellion and wanting to stray , neutering at around 6 months can prevent these behaviours from starting, waiting to neuter after they start can take a lot of work and training to fix after they start as they become a habit.

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Testicular cancer too.

I love neutered males and I doubt I will ever have one that isn't.. They're so easy going. So many of the unneutered males always seem so stressed when they're outside the house. Like they're on a mission.:rolleyes:

bethaliz
July 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
i've been reading around this forum and everybody is always talking about needing to get our pets fixed. but i dont know why it is needed. and are there any health problems that will arise if we Dont get them fixed? thanks for clearing me up!! i was in tears the day i posted this topic!! i thought i was going to lose my pup!! i will be asking you a lot of questions in the future about my little one :)!!

I personally think that all pet dog's should be fixed. I breeder with training who has the time and money to invest in DNA, healthy etc testing should be the only people with intact dogs. And only dogs that have been medically cleared and have obtained their championhsip should be bred. However it is required to have your dog intact if you want to show your dog. Your dog is very cute, but from his picture, he is not in full coat; and he can not be shown now that he's cut down.

Getting your boy fixed is the smartest and greatest thing you can do for your dog. While shih tzu males are very happy fun and loving they can also be very aggressive. You wont notice it until he's about a year and a half, but it will come. He will pee all over the place to "mark" his space, especially if there are other male dogs around or an intact female. They also tend to get into fights with other dogs. A lot of this behoviour can be avoided by having him fixed.

These are just some of the benifits of having your boy fixed. Not too mention the other benifits such as avoiding unwanted litters and prostrate problems.

Shih Tzu males a very loyal and loving and HUGE sucks! lol! The girls are great too, but the boys are just big babies. I love it. They are like that weather or not they get fixed. So don't worry about it changing him. At his age he'll recover in a day or two and you wont have anything to worry about interms of agression, future prostrate issues and unwanted litters.

If your not going to show him, please have him fixed.

btw, this is my little punk :) this is a picture w/ his hair long and veryyy messy (just woke up from a sleep hair LOL) are there any cuts i can get for him other than the famous long hair for show dogs? are there any cuts for male dogs, so he looks like a boy?! pictures and descriptions greatly appreciated!! the sooner i know the cuts, the sooner he'll start to look good!!

There are many many hair styles that you can have on your baby. I personally prefer the puppy cut. This cuts your dog right down to about an inch of hair all over his body. (I'll post a picture)

You can also do varations, by keeping the hair on their ears long (I love this on the girls, it looks like pony tails). I'll post a picture for you.

You can keep the legs long like muklucks. You can leave the hair on the top of thier head for a cap.

You hace many options. You can do a google search for shih tzu hair cuts and shih tzu pictures and see many diferent hair styles that you can try.

Good luck to you! Keep ansking any questions that you might have

bethaliz
July 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM
This is my dog Roxie with a true puppy cut.

Also, most people keep the shih tzu tail long, no matter what the hair style.

bethaliz
July 12th, 2006, 06:41 PM
THis is my dog Roxie with long ears

Lexie
July 12th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Your dog is soooooooooooooooo cute!!!! i loveeee her eyes