Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the chance lightning will hit my house

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
We have been having lots of thunder and lightning storms here. Especially today the strikes seemed awfully close - pretty much right as soon as the thunder happened. What are the chances that it could hit my house. :eek:

Joey is not scared of thunder storms but he does bark at the fireworks.

jiorji
July 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM
i'd say slight to none. You're not in a field are you?

There's other taller buildings around you that you attract the lightning and those buildings are specially designed to disperse the electricity once it hits.

uhh...i could be wrong but I wouldn't worry. Architects take those things in consideration when they built houses.

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM
It is rare that ligtening will strike your house, esp if it is just heat ligtening. The figure I hear mot often is 350,000 to one - which means you are more likely to get killed in a car accident (that is a 50:1 odd, that I know from working in a few ER;s). You are more likely (like I did) to totalyour vehicle when a moose runs into it (Granted, the odds of that are higher where I live or in Alaska - hmmm, maybe BC too). And we are obliterating their habitat, sigh! Anyway, I am offtrack again, sorry!

I do not fear ligtening tho I do know someone who died when hit by ligtenig herself but she was at the beach and it hit her chain. As a child, a friend and I once hid under a tree (were we stupid or what?). And it was chain ligtening!!

That said, there are things you can do to improve the "odds" of NOT being hit- in your home or elsewhere.

Do not come into contact with conductors of electricity such as pipes (don't shower,) stoves (don't cook,) and wires (don't use the telephone or the computer!!! .) Mostly, all these things use copper and ligtening loves Cu. If you are outside, find shelter under a cliff, in a cave, or some low lying area (even a ditch BUT not a tree, lol). In fact, stay away from isolated objects such as lone trees, telephone poles, etc.
Stay away fr water and stay off things like lawn mowers and tractors.

Like a cat, if your hair starts to stand on end (tho this is usually outsude, make yourself seem smaller and roll into a ball).

Finally, remember that most people who are struck by ligtening (and most are outside) do not die. They are injured but they do get better. They usually suffer from electrical burns or may need CPR (electrical impulses to the heart, etc). I have actually treated children who've been hit by lightening (in Mass) - and they had broken bones, burns, even loss of hearing (usullay temp) or neurological probs.

As for your home to be safe, you can l proof your house by ensuring here are no ways for ligtening to conduct electricity from the point of contact to the ground. Thes may be on the outside of yr home, may be contained within the walls, or a combo. On the outside, lightening can travel along the outer shell of a house or may follow metal gutters and downspouts to the ground. Inside a structure, lighting can follow conductors such as the electrical wiring, plumbing, and telephone lines to the ground. That's why it is always good to have surge protectors and safe and up to date wiring. (I am no electrician but...lol) I do know l =igtening hits a structure (House, bldg, etc) 3 ways - a direct strike, through wires or pipes that extend outside the bldg or thru the ground. The leading cause of fire by ligtening is thru the telephone. Also stay away from windows and doors. Call me super safe but in a bad storm, I pull out power cords of all kinds, esp TV's, puters, phones., routers, etc - usually I shut dn the surgers.

If you are really afraid, take off any metal objects and stay away from the windows!!!!!

I hope this isn't too much info, lol