Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Manipulative Husky ;)

Nausicaa
July 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone,
My dog is a Siberian Husky that I took from a shelter three months ago. More and more I am noticing that she is often acting in a manipulative way. It starts from lying on the floor and looking up as if she can't stand (from hunger presumably ;) ) and goes on to screaming when she is forced to stay in place for instance - like to be brushed. If you hold her say by the paw, and don't let her go away, she screams like she's been hit by an iron bar (I swear I never did...) She also screams when the vet handles her, and when he takes her temperature :sad: she screams like its the end of all ends , like she is being burned alive or something...

Well, we love her anyway :D but I was wondering if other people here had similar experiences with their dogs (Husky or others), just curious.

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 10:09 PM
My dad's dog is like that. He's not a husky (Jack Russell) but if you grab or hold him in anyway for too long, he starts screaming bleddy murder... "Abuse!!" lol It's pretty embarrassing in public..

Jemma, a husky/lab mix, fakes a limp when she wants attention. And I get the consequential, "Why haven't you brought her to the vet yet?" :rolleyes: :o

siberian3
July 9th, 2006, 11:39 PM
We have a siberian cross that we got from the pound when he was 11 months. He has never squealed like that when you hold him in one place but he will get real squirmy and mouthy sometimes. He makes little growly noises rather then doing the squealing thing. He also really doesn't like being brushed. But the good news is - he has improved on this stuff a ton since we got him. We've worked on it a lot and now he is much more tolerant if it. We have had him now for almost two years and there has been a big improvement I've noticed. I think siberians tend to be independent type dogs to start with, and then when they are not used to you and/or they are not used to being handled like that in general, they tend to react that way. I predict that if you work with her, and with time, she will get a lot better. Ours is really smart and highly trainable so thats made it easier.

OntarioGreys
July 9th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Some dogs are drama queens! :p

jesse's mommy
July 10th, 2006, 05:07 AM
My childhood dog was a lab/springer mix and when he was about three he was digging for a snowball outside and dug into ice under the snow and cut his paw. He got stitches and a bandage to wear for a while until it healed. Well, through the ripe old age of 17 (when he passed) we could ask him "let me see your boo boo" and he would start limping and put the hurt paw on you to give love too. He could never remember which paw it was so it would change back and forth, but we didn't care, it was just another excuse to give him love. :D

Bluefunnel
July 10th, 2006, 05:43 AM
:ca:
As long as your Sibe has been checked on a regular basis by an experienced Sibe Vet as they are a special breed, you are just experiencing the stubbornness and wonderful independence of the breed. They will try anything if they don't want you to do something, i.e. grooming, nail clipping.They are also the best escape artists of dogs, Do not ever, not ever let them off a leash unless you are in a confined fenced area, They can jump 6 ft with no problem and as for digging, well they belong to the miners union. They will object vocally very often ..if they feel like it. Try the brush in one hand and a cookie in the other, Its quite amusing. I have had Sibes for over twenty years and would never ever have another breed. They are wonderful dogs but you got to learn about them as they are very different from other breeds, i.e.. No odour when wet and hot. Have you looked at the paw track in the snow. !!!! One dog with only two feet !!!

Have fun!!! You can never win but you can learn to live with !!

The dogs are talking,,,,we just have to listen.

siberian3
July 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM
In general I think keeping your dogs on a leash is a good idea - but we actually have really good voice control over our siberian mix, and he never takes off or gets too far away.. i guess it could be the other breeds in him though...

mona_b
July 10th, 2006, 07:19 PM
How old is she?

Since you got her from a shelter,I'm sure you don't know much about her backround or how the previous owners were towards her.Maybe things were done to her in the past????...Just a thought....:)

My sister has 3 Sibes and a Border Collie,and none of them act the way your dog does.

I wouldn't say that this breed can never ever be off leash.My sister is on a farm,and none of them are leashed or tied up when they are outside.They all know their bounderies.They come when they are called.My sister worked very hard when it came to their training.And it started from day one.:)

Also,take a look at some of the famous Siberians in the movies and shows.I personally knew Draco(aka Deifenbaker) from Due South,and the extras that were used to play him.I won't get into it to much,I don't want to upset Prin again...:( ..These dogs were very well trained and came from a top Sibe breeder here in Ontario.And she also had one of her dogs in the movie Snow Dogs.

I'm just trying to state that there are Sibes that can be off leash....:)

Do you have any pics of your girl?

siberian3
July 10th, 2006, 09:21 PM
agreed!

I'm curious how old she was when you got her too, I think that does make a big difference, especially if they were a stray or had a bad home before...

Nausicaa
July 11th, 2006, 06:12 AM
My dog is really responsive to voice commands - she always comes when we call her and generally doesn't wander off, always staying close to us. That's why we let he off leash when we are walking her in the park far from the road. Generally she's pretty obedient, especially if you have a treat ;)

And by the way, I also wondered in the beginning if she went through some type of abuse in the past, and if that is the cause of her occasional screaming. I spent a lot of money on vets trying to determine various imagined terrible physical injuries that she might have had, hence her screaming - hey, we even x-rayed her hips because she didn't want to run after the bike and screamed when we and afterwards the vet handled her hip (of course the hips were fine). As a consequence, I came to realize that she's just making big scenes over small things she doesn't like, so now we try to be more critical with her, and not take everything at face value...:)

Nausicaa
July 11th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Here's another picture of her

Nausicaa
July 11th, 2006, 06:24 AM
:angel: :) ;)

lewisw
July 11th, 2006, 06:33 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWW she is so beautiful.
Thanks for sharing your pics.
Lewis

siberian3
July 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
wow - what a gorgeous dog!

dtbmnec
July 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Awwwwww the pretty puppy!

Awww you make me want one (though there's no possible way I could have a dog like that for at least another ten years).....

Megan

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
beautiful doggy! I love the coloring.:)

rainbow
July 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
She looks just like my Summer (RIP :angel: )...even the two eye colours.

We have another Siberian Husky now (our third). I love the breed and the vocalizing and even the stubborness. :D

Nausicaa
July 17th, 2006, 04:02 AM
:D :grouphug: :highfive:

glasslass
July 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Really a beautiful doggie! :queen: Doesn't look like a drama queen!