Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not sure about RAW so far...

willingheart
July 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
My dog's been on raw for a week now. The only thing he seems to like is lamb. I've tried pork, chicken, and salmon as well, with no interest. Even with the lamb, he is not excited about it right away. He seems to be waiting for another choice, then he finally gives in and eats it. Last night, I had squeamish friends over, so I gave him some of my leftover cooked beef and vegies mix, and he was ecstatic again!

I do notice he seems to have more energy. For the first time since I've had him, he has "spazzed out" - running around in circles, and even took off at full speed across a (fenced) field. He is normally a VERY low energy dog.

His itching is just as bad as ever, if not worse. It's really driving me crazy, and I'm sure it's worse for him. I hate giving him the prednazone. I give him 1/2 a tablet every once in a while, and I must say even that doesn't seem to make a difference!

Also, curiously, he is way less snuggly! He used to love to sit in my lap several times a day, and now he is mister hard-to-get. This is totally disappointing. Not sure if it has to do with raw, or what???

He also smells different for sure. I'm not sure if he smells "better" yet - but I think I know what people are talking about when they say the doggie smell goes away.

Anyway, I have to say I'm pretty discouraged with raw. There's no indication that he actually likes it. And, in general, I'm super discouraged about getting rid of the itching!! That's been my motivation for all his diet changes I've tried! Ugh!

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Sounds like the itching is more environmental, or a result of something else you're using.

Are you careful about wheat and things like that? Regardless of what I feed Jemma, if I give her one bread crust, her ears flare up.