Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sore paw

bonnie76
July 9th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I hope someone can help me out....
Yesterday Valentino and I played some pretty aggressive fetch at the dog park; we had a ball (oops, pun). Anyway, today he is favoring his left front paw and is uber-sucky. he doesn't want me to touch it at all.
I notice that the pads are kind of scraped, but no red or bleeding. They're pretty tough as we are urbanites and do a lot of pavement walking. So is the sore paw from the pads, or something more serious?

Any help is appreciated (of course we'll go to the vet if need be).

OntarioGreys
July 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
It can happen, sort of like us getting blisters from too much usage, try to stay off pavement(ashphalt) especially on sunny and hot days the pavement can actually get hot enough to burn a dogs feet right thru their pads, if burning it will make the foot pads more tender and abasions will happen much faster

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I would try to palpate the rest of the leg to be sure it's not something else further up and perhaps more serious...:)

bonnie76
July 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM
thank you for replying!
His leg further up is fine. Husband is home now, and braver than me :rolleyes: - it seems to be just the pad that's sore when he was "examining" the paw. Usually our pavement walking is morning and evening; I didn't think the sidewalk would be too hot at night? During the day it's the park etc. but maybe the gravel (paths) is worse than pavement. So do I need to get him a pair of boots? And what can I do to make him more comfortable right now? Poor boy's hurting.

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Is there any glass or anything in the pad?

Rather than boots, maybe you could just push him onto the grass beside the road (if there is any) or walk in parks instead of on sidewalks...

bonnie76
July 9th, 2006, 04:28 PM
There doesn't seem to be any glass or foreign objects in the pads. He licks it occasionally, but that's all.
I guess I trained him to walk on the leash, so I can train him to walk on the grass, not sidewalk, right? This could be interesting.....:)

OntarioGreys
July 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
You can put some polysporin on for now to help with healing and baby socks to keep him from licking, and keep it cllean you might need to tape around the top, to keep them slipping off.

You can order very inexpensive dog booties from this site to use to protect his feet
http://dogbooties.com/

I would recommend the spandura ones with the velstretch fastener as the type of Closure Wrap. bit stretchy so fits snugger on the feet

or the toughtek 9000 if winters are hard on his feet also . the toughtek is available as die cut that you can sew yourself so if you want to order a few pairs it can save your even more money

bonnie76
July 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Okay! So I've applied the polysporin, sock and tape. So far he's not trying too hard to get it off! I wan't sure if polysporin was safe for pets or not, but it works great for me, so....
I checked out the booties; they look great. I'll probably order some in case of future mishaps and the yummy extreme weather.

Thanks very much and I'll keep you posted!

bonnie76
July 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Okay, so Valentino's paw seemed to get worse yesterday evening, so away to the vet! She said that his pads were not too bad, but to give him rest for 2-3 weeks to help them heal. Also, he has strained his shoulder, which also requires rest; then he should be good as new :fingerscr Already we are working on walking on the grass (on our very limited walk).
Thanks to all for your help and hopefully all goes well for us (and we don't go stir crazy!)

Prin
July 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Poor guy. I hope he gets well soon.:) :fingerscr