Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spray to stop chewing

Sept13th
July 9th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Apparenty you can buy a spray that you can spray on things you do not want your dog to chew as it tastes very bad to a dog.
Anyone know anything about this?

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Bitter Apple Spray is what we have used. It works when you first spray it, but it fades really fast. I'm sure there are others, but this is what we've had used. Jesse caught on pretty fast and didn't go back to chew, but I know of other dogs that would just keep going back for more and never caught on. :rolleyes:

RVT092481
July 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I used Bitter Apple when my dog was a puppy on her leash. It was like adding seasoning to it! She loved it and got excited when you brought it out. There are two others that I know of that usually work pretty well. One is Variton Spray and the other is Bitter Spray. I know more dogs that will go through the Variton than the Bitter Spray. I've met one dog that the bitter spray did nothing for. The downfall of it is that it gets in the air really easily. So don't breathe while spraying it! The only thing that gets the taste out of your mouth is a citrus candy (usually Lemon or Lime).

SnowDancer
July 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Bitter Apple is like ketchup to my Eskimo - just spray away to add seasoning to whatever he wants to chew - or didn't have plans to chew until Bitter Apple was sprayed.

dragon_queen
July 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
On tv the other day I was watching "pet keeping" they had a spray to keep cats from chewing plants. It's not to hurt them just to make whatever taste bad. It might work for dogs. The neighbor is going to try it for ground hogs.
1 tablespoon of cheyanne pepper (sp?)
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 cups of hot water
put the powder and pepper in the hot water for a few hours and then filter through a coffee filter and put in a spray bottle and spray the things you don't want chewed.
It won't help if your dogs chewing furniture but it might help with other things.

DQ

Sept13th
July 13th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Thanks for your help everyone :) . I'll try all those suggestions and see which one works best for my puppy.