Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Occasional diarrhea

randomtulsagirl
July 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM
My 8-year-old Doberman experiences occasional diarrhea that we believe is stress related. Our vet gave us a prescription for Metronidazole (flagyt 500mg) after she had diarrhea in the house several times over Thanksgiving weekend, (We would wake up to piles on the floor). But we had 40 people in and out of the house for the holiday and a family wedding that weekend.

This weekend a member of the household is out of town (so the schedule has been disrupted) and she has diarrhea again. However, there have been no changes in her appetite or physical activity.

I did some reading on the Metronidazole pills and it seems like that is more for infections and I think that it is more stress related than anything. We adopted her from a Doberman rescue when she was about 2 and she has always been slightly neurotic.

My question is – are there any human (over the counter) pills that I could give her to stop the diarrhea without causing any further problems (i.e. constipation)?

P.S. - We also have a 4-year-old Siberan Husky - she has not experienced any diarrhea.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Random sorry to hear about the diarreah, I wouldnt reccomend anything unless the vet oks it - you just never know - immodium is pretty powerful stuff too.

Would he eat a banana I know bananas tend to firm up the stool. Good luck :D

Prin
July 8th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Are you sure your guests aren't giving your dobie table scraps? It could be that your dog is so sensitive to new things and guests just don't care, or don't know... I know my old dobie was sensitive- one carrot and we had piles EVERYWHERE.

Honestly, I wouldn't stop diarrhea at home. If your dog is flushing something out, you wouldn't want to constipate her. And if it lasts longer than a day, then a vet trip may be in order, because your dog may need help getting rid of whatever it is (and again, constipating her won't help).

btw, I mean "constipate" in that you stop her from going when she really needs to go... I just couldn't think of the right word other than that right now..:o