Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bear Sightings/ Encounters with Dogs

Shamrock
July 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Have you ever seen a bear while out walking/ hiking or camping?

I never have... dont want to.:) Certainly have seen their calling card from time to time.(bear scat)

There not the Boogieman, but they're not the Care Bears either.

We're all aware they keep well away from people, and using the proper precautions, unlikely you would ever be aware of their presence.
It's the accidental encounters that can be threatening.. particularly mother with cubs nearby.

Hubby and I were just walking in a densely forested park area with "recent bear sightings" posters up.. and so discussing this topic. This always makes me a bit apprehensive... like I have to be on the "lookout".

We didnt have our dog with us for this outing, but he felt this was just as well...as dogs can attract bears to people.:confused:
To my way of thinking, as long as dogs are leashed and under control... they dont add any risk factor at all. Why would they?

I have heard of loose dogs running off, agitating a bear, and then bringing it back to it's unsuspecting people, but think this would also be a very rare occurence, and more likely to happen from carelessness while camping in remote areas. Most people keep their dogs well under control, and use proper precautions and common sense .

Do you have any reservations about safety for you or your dogs when out in wildnerness areas?

In summer, there's certainly a whole lot more of us out trekking around in their domain.

kaytris
July 8th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned about having a leashed dog in a bear area, BUT there is a possibility that a bear might see the dog as food.

Don't know how likely that is.

OntarioGreys
July 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM
When I went camping one time , Buddy was a bit off his food so I had left if sitting in a bowl just outside the tent hoping he would nibble at it as he got hungry, but I made the mistake of not putting away it at night, I wake up to noise outside the tent and I get up to take a look thinking it is raccoon , so I unzip the window a bit and this Black bear is finishing off Buddy's meal, I jump back into bed and quiet crawl into the sleepbag pulling over my head( lol like that would do any good if the bear wanted in the tent), I am still amazed that Buddy did not make a peep, From that day on the food was locked in the car at night. I know when we travelled to BC the park ranger ther was a grizzly that was coming into the park so they reccomended that the icebox be hoisted up high off the branch of a tree

A while a go I had found a site with pictures of a wild polar bear that have decides to make friends with a husky , I did not find the site but found similiar photo's already posted here earlier

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24026

Toonces
July 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
We had a black bear in our dirveway just last week, all 3 of my dogs were barking in the front window at her and she could have cared a less, just sniffed around and then sauntered down the driveway and walked right down the middle of the rd.

She comes here every yr and has her cubs, my friend had one of her cubs in her back yard the other day, they don't seem to be bothered by people or the dogs but we keep the dogs in our fenced in area with us at all times just to be safe. I have heard they travel a 30 mile radius, this momma and her babies have been spotted her alot this summer.

Shamrock
July 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM
OG.. what a nerve-wracking and unforgettable experience that must have been.:eek:
Your heart must have been just pounding.
We used to be so careless with food in our camping days, leave it lying around, a miracle that we never had any encounters.
Those are amazing pics you linked to.. incredible shots!

Toonces.. that must be quite the sight! Have you been able to get any pics?

One local bear barged into a lady's kitchen recently through a patio door, snacked on the fruit and box of dry cereal left on her counter and then just went on its way.

Another, more intense one, ripped open the canopy off a parked truck, searching for the onion bagels left inside.:eek:

Here's a link that dispels some common myths surrounding bears, found it kind of interesting.
http://www.bearsmart.com/bearFacts/BehaviourMyths.html

I must say I found it suprising that in the rare event of an actual attack in the wild.. that bear spray is preferable to bullets for reducing the severity of injuries.
But the likeliehood of that terrible circumstance for most people is probably up there with the lightning strike.. or the lottery win.

LM1313
July 8th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Food (especially anything sweet) will attract bears more than having dogs around. Most black bears are not looking for trouble and will be detered by a dog barking. Unless the dog is threatening its cubs, of course.

I used to live in Alaska and we carried "bear cans" when we went picking berries. They were metal cans like you get green beans and things in with some pennies in them and tape across the top. So if you're walking out in the woods and are worried about bears, you might carry one of those and shake it as you walk. :)

~LM~

Toonces
July 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM
We didn't get any pics of her but we still could, garbage day is on wed and I can't beleive how many ppl out here put it out the night before, the racoons love it, they sure make one heck of a mess tho.

cpietra16
July 9th, 2006, 09:27 AM
My first face to face came thanks to my Winnie....went into the bush (Zeballos, Vancouver Island)...alone came back with a big black bear in tow...Winnie tried to run ahead of me but i made sure she was between the bear and me. This bear was just alittle upset, because I know for a fact that this bear could outrun me and clearly didn't want to. This was just a message. Needless to say Winnie keeps away from black bears:D

erykah1310
July 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I have a REDICULOUS fear/ anxiety of black bears. I dont hike without bear mace ( I know it sounds cruel, but i feel better and have never used it)
I keep my dogs CLOSE by but never go out without them, i feel that they would warn me of a bear.
When i was working on a dump survey ( didnt sleep for WEEKS) I worked with a 30-06 beside me ( I would never have shot at the bear, but just noise will help deter them considering I was in THEIR home there.)
Im not so afraid this year in my area, because the berries came out full force on time this year, they arent as hungry as they have been in the previous years.
However the bear population is kept low with fall hunts ( I know this may spark some anger to most of the members, but I am a believer of hunting as long as the animal is FULLY used.) Many of the neighbours hunt bear around me.
But you never do know when and where a momma bear and her cubs can be, use extra caution and make NOISE while hiking!
Its worked for me thus far :fingerscr