Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help please for my Malamute

kaylagirl
January 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM
My dog Kayla vomited once last night only. She's an Alaskan Malamute weighing 110 lbs and almost 10 years old. Yesterday and today her appetite has decreased. Usually she wants to be inside with us, yesterday and today she is less social and laying curled up in the snow. Her stools seem normal. She has not shown any belly tenderness. I've called our vet and am waiting for a return call.
What do these symptoms suggest to you?
I thank you for your time,
Jen

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
It could be something as simple as eating something that disagreed with her to something very serious like bloat or cancer.

If it's bloat you better get her to the vet ASAP, as this condition is fatal if left untreated.

I would call the vet back and make an appointment, as he/she cannot do anything without seeing your dog.

Let us know what happens.

mona_b
January 17th, 2004, 05:32 PM
As LR said,it could be that she got into something.Or it could be something serious.Please call your vet.If the vet is closed,then call a emergency vet.

I do hope that she will be ok.

Please keep us posted.

Luba
January 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Seeing that she is ten years of age I would be concerned.

Dogs often do not show us much of what they go through. They tolerate pain and discomfort much better then we do.

You will be able to observe your dogs behaviour changes. Keep her in eyesight. If you dont' hear from your vet call again. Any additional signs happen ie incontinence or vomit again, shivering. Take her immediately to a 24 hr emerg animal hospital.

If you dont' know where one is located near you, I suggest that you find out NOW incase you need it.

Pls dont wait too long.

Luba

kaylagirl
January 20th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Hello all and thank you for your advice and your concern.
We took Kayla in to the on call vet that day. They did a full exam with xrays, took blood, stool and everything came back clear. She was back to normal that evening. What ever she had seems to have passed. She's a big girl and getting up there, but always full of p*ss and vinegar and having the last word. We've always watched her closely with diet, excercise and our own exams for lumps and abnormalities, etc.
She's like one of our own kids. It bums us right out when she's
not acting like one of my sassy teenagers...lol.
Thank you again,
Jen