Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brown Recluse Spiders

jesse's mommy
July 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Well here it is, my first summer in Florida. I was watching the news last night and apparently it's now the season for Brown Recluse Spiders. They said it's not starting, but the worst month for bites is in August. I told the man that we need to spray around the entire outside of the house today and spray front and back yards with bug killer. (I get a little obsessive compulsive sometimes :o ). I'm just a little scared now because I've seen pictures of what a bite can do to you and I've also seen pictures of dogs who have had their legs amputate because of recluse bites and I have a dog who loves to play with bugs and eat them. :eek: You know we watch her as much as possible, but you can't watch them 24/7. Those spiders are ugly looking things. Well, thanks for letting me vent my fears this summer. I think I'm more worried about the spiders than I am hurrican season.

Frenchy
July 8th, 2006, 08:08 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I would move.I"m not afraid of spider,as long as they don't do me any harm.You can move to my place for the summer,in exchange of samples from where you work :D The only bugs I have are 4 big ones with fur,who demands attention all the time :p

joeysmama
July 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
You can move to my place for the summer,in exchange of samples from where you work

Ice cream parlor? Coach store? Beer garden? I want samples too.:crazy:

Frenchy
July 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Joeysmama ; the good answer is Pop Tarts! :p

jesse's mommy
July 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Hey, I saw the mint chocolate chip on the shelf this week. :D

Copper'sMom
July 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Ewww ewwww ewwwww I hate spiders!!!!!!!!!! Are there really alot of them around Florida?? Is it like having mosquitoes around???:eek: Stay safe Jesse's mommy!

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I was sooo skeptical about coming into this thread... But I saw there weren't any attachments so I took a chance...

Our spiders aren't poisonous here and that's why I'm staying. :D I can't imagine the nightmares I'd have if they could actually do something to me.:eek:

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Ewww ewwww ewwwww I hate spiders!!!!!!!!!! Are there really alot of them around Florida?? Is it like having mosquitoes around???:eek: Stay safe Jesse's mommy!

I don't know if there is a lot here or not, but I'm scared of them. I haven't seen any, but the news had a story dedicated just to brown recluse spiders a couple of days ago so I would think that yes there are a good amount here. I'm really confused and scared at the same time. I'm new here so I really don't know yet. I guess we just have to be extra careful and keep our eyes open right?

Frenchy
July 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Maybe you can train the snakes :eek: to eat the spiders?:D

jesse's mommy
July 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Maybe you can train the snakes :eek: to eat the spiders?:D

Happy Dance Time!!! My resident snake is no longer a resident. :D

Schwinn
July 10th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I don't do well with spiders...I have to send in Mrs. Schwinn to take care of them for me. That's right, I said it! I'm man enough to admit it!

Oh, and I will NOT be travelling to Florida in August. These "recluse" spiders don't sound reclusive enough for me...

This house has tonnes of those little jumping spiders...I'm thinking it's time to sell...

LM1313
July 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM
If it provides you any comfort, they are called recluses because they're hardly ever seen. :) Although they're very poisonous, they're also shy, non-aggressive, and blind. Generally they bite when someone is doing something like rolling on them. If you see one, definitely don't try to squash it with your bare foot or hand.

jesse's mommy
July 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I sort of like the idea of taking the hose to the vacuum cleaner and sucking bugs up through there. I'm not one of those people who are brave enough to touch bugs with my hands. I won't even touch crickets. I put a glass overtop of them when they are in the house and go find honey to pick it up and put it outside.

Dog Mom
July 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I use the glass idea as well hubby hates going in the basement and seeing dozens of glasses/tupperwear/ice cream pails on the floor upside down

Jackie467
July 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM
We have the recluses here too as well as black widows. I'v seen a few but if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. Bites occur when someone accidently steps or probs one. Make sure you shake out any shoes or socks before you put them on. Also check your bed before you get in. They love dark places like that. Welcome to the South.

LM1313
July 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I sort of like the idea of taking the hose to the vacuum cleaner and sucking bugs up through there. I'm not one of those people who are brave enough to touch bugs with my hands. I won't even touch crickets. I put a glass overtop of them when they are in the house and go find honey to pick it up and put it outside.

I've heard that if you do this, you have to dump the whole vacuum bag right away because it doesn't kill the bug and they can crawl out again. Yikes!

jesse's mommy
July 10th, 2006, 05:09 PM
We have a bagless and we empty right into the outside trash can every time we use it. :D

SunGurl372
July 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I've been in Florida since '86 and must say that I've never seen a brown recluse, a black widow, or anything like that. I've seen a few snakes...mostly of the garden variety. Actually, the worst things we've come across are small scorpions inside the house, and only that a few times.

I think this is like anything else. No place is perfect, each has its benefits and drawbacks. Do you live way out in a wooded area?

jesse's mommy
July 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM
SCORPIONS???? Nobody told me about them! :eek:

We don't live in a wooded area. We live in a development, but live on a lake with some trees in the backyard. We don't have any gators, but I know there are snakes in the water because I saw one's head come up like it was the loch ness monster. I ran into the house when I saw that and I wasn't even down by the lake. :D I was afraid it was a water mockessin. The zoo we went to in Sanford (little one basically local stuff) told us to keep an eye out for mockessins. We had a black snake living under our house, but as of last night has been relocated (I won't go into details, but it is no longer on our property :o ) Anyway, back to the subject. I got a little scared the other night when I was watching the news because they had a lengthy story on the recluse in the area. It wasn't one of those thirty second stories, they actually spent some time on it so I guess that's why it freaked me out a bit. I guess the news just hyped it up a bit. :p

mafiaprincess
July 10th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I have a friend in Tenn. She got a spider bite last week. Looked liek a bug bite, it's now black and the size of a tennis ball. Finally coaxed her to the ER, and apparently it's supposed to look 10x worse before it can begin to heal. Potentially months to fully heal it out. YIKES. Saw a picture of the bite, damn it's bad..

SunGurl372
July 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
LOL! Don't worry about the scorps if you see 'em. They're typically small....inch and a half long or so and pretty harmless. If they bite you, it hurts a little, but won't kill you.

My place backs up to water as well, with a few oaks, and so far so good. No major spider issues.