Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found Puppy! Help!!!

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I just found this cutie pie male puppy, I'm thinking chow-lab cross (I will post a pic asap) in the park. This nice man and I went and asked everyone there if they owned him or knew who did. No one did. His dog is male agressive, so I agreed to take him with me. Who do I call? Can I call anyone tonight, or do I have to wait until tomorrow?? I work tomorrow, and I don't want to leave him at home alone.... HELP!!!!!!!

badger
July 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Definitely call the SPCA or the Berger Blanc, whichever is responsible for your area. If someone is looking for them, they may have reported it. I'm not certain you'll get someone tonight.

9825 Henri Bourassa East
Montreal, Quebec
H1C 1G5
Tel: 514-494-2002
info@bergerblanc.com
www.bergerblanc.com

Jean Talon SPCA Montreal
5215 Jean Talon Ouest
Montreal, Quebec
Tel: 514-735-2711
info@spca.com
www.spca.com

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Thanks, he's at the SPCA now, and if no one claims him in a week, I told them to call me. I want that cutie. I've been thinking about a second dog for a while, and he and Layla got along sooo well! (and they look almost identical, because his hair is cut.. I think it's naturally longish) I hope the owners claim him, but if not, he'll have a home with us.

glasslass
July 8th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Ahh! Puppy love! Seems so appropriate that you were the one to find him. I hope his owners come forward to claim him, but I also hope they don't so you can have him.

catsnatcher-CDN
July 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I found a few dogs over winter and called the spca montreal. They were all reclaimed within a day.

:fingerscr

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm really hoping that he wasn't a victim of the July 1st move. He's in really good condition (fed, hair trimmed) so he deffinately wasn't a stray. I finally got my camera to upload pics, so my next post will have them.

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Ok none of them are really good, it was midnight, and they wouldn't stop playing, he is the one with the leash on (and the cute bushy tail)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00714.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00713.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00712.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00710.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00709.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00708.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00706.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/rebcca85/DSC00705.jpg

catsnatcher-CDN
July 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
OMG! He's so cute!!!!
Did you find him with a leash or a collar?

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 09:56 AM
He had a collar, but no leash or tags. There were about 20 people in the park, and we asked all of them. Some had been there for quite some time and said that he had been there when they arrived (about 3 hours). Him and Layla got on like white on rice, which is why I was able to leash him so easily. If no one claims him, I will take him to my vet to see if he is chipped (in the event that the spca didn't scan him)

Frenchy
July 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
WOW puppyluv,he looks (from the picture,maybe not) so much like Layla! Not putting any pressure :rolleyes: but he looks like he belongs with you and Layla.

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Frenchy, they do look a lot a like. He wouldn't get in the car alone, so I brought Layla with us to the SPCA, and the girl there couldn't tell who I was dropping off after the description I gave. They were swimming in the park, and when his tail is wet they look identical!

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Before I dropped him off, I called and left a message. They just called me back, not realizing that I was the one who dropped him off last night, to tell me that they are full and can't accept any more dogs :( That's not good news.

Frenchy
July 8th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Yikes!Spca is full...but they just had to get the huskeys...anyway.So you have to wait a whole week to know if the owner claims him? I think it's weird that a dog would a have collar without any tags,even if microship.He should at least have the city tag and the rabies one too.Now we don't know the story but my guess is,the owner didn't do a good job here.I hope you get the puppy,he will be way better off with you.

chico2
July 8th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Puppyluv,I hope the SPCA will contact you and not,since they are full,start euthanizing.
I know I am a drama-queen:D but I dont really trust the MSPCA,have heard so many bad things...:sad:
He looks so happy in your home:love:

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm going to stay in contact with the spca to make sure nothing underhanded happens. If he doesn't go to his original home, I'm making sure he comes to mine.

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 09:30 PM
He's still there.... :D and :( at the same time....:o

jesse's mommy
July 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I think you should just go get him and keep him at your house. If someone calls about a dog that matches his description, the SPCA can call you, but if not -- oh well, Layla has a boyfriend! He definitely belongs with you even though I think he is part fox with that tail!

jiorji
July 8th, 2006, 11:00 PM
yay!! a puppy!!!

I think you should take him at the house too. I haven't had a dog but i've seen many dogs at the shelter and it seems they get really traumatized being in that small closed space, so i think it'll be best for him to stay with you til someone calls for him. You can foster him for a while, that way the SPCA can have an empty space for someone else

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I agree... I wouldn't trust that they'd call you before doing anything... So many employees, so many dogs coming in and out...

Puppyluv
July 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM
That's a good idea. I'll drop by after work today (have to make my muffins first :p)

mastifflover
July 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Well if they are not two peas in a pod they look so cute together. I agree try and get him back and if the owners claim him so be it but if not he is in a great home. How lucky for him that you were at the park so many would have left him there. As Jioji said it would leave a space for someone not as lucky to be found by someone like you.

Frenchy
July 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Very eager to see if the SPCA lets you take him back...he is a puppy and for them,he's a good,easy "sale".:( Hope it works out :fingerscr

Puppyluv
July 9th, 2006, 04:39 PM
He's still there.. they won't let me take him.... I have to wait the week :( I have high hopes though. It's only been two days, but it's been a weekend.. plenty of time for the owner to pick up the dog.

jiorji
July 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM
argh!!!

the suspense is killing me!! I can only imagine what it's doing to you, but after all...I think I'm the most impatient person in the world :cool: hehe

Puppyluv
July 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM
argh!!!

the suspense is killing me!! I can only imagine what it's doing to you, but after all...I think I'm the most impatient person in the world :cool: hehe
It's killing me too. I'm trying not to think of names......but it's so hard....

coppperbelle
July 9th, 2006, 09:55 PM
A couple of years ago a golden retriever ran in front of my car and when I stopped stood there looking at me. I got out of my car and he came to me and when I opened the door, he jumped in. I didn't know what to do with him so I brought him home but he wouldn't get out of my car. I tried to put a leash on him but he showed me his teeth. I guess he was terrified and tired because he was the sweetest boy. Reluctantly I brought him to the SCDD and they got him out of my car. I was very naive at the time and was certain that he would be claimed quickly. Every day I either drove there or called and was stunned to hear that he had not been claimed. I had to wait 7 days but as soon as he became available I rushed over and got him out of there. I think my presence and phone calls at the SCDD let them know that I was really interested in the welfare of this boy because as I was leaving a man said he wanted to adopt him but was told I had first dibs.
Keep calling and checking in. I hope they don't make you pay an adoption fee but they probably will. I had to pay to get the dog I found out. The SPCA must be bursting at the seams this week with the huskeys.

Puppyluv
July 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks Copperbelle! I'm going to keep calling, and I'm going to drop by in person tomorrow after work. When I dropped him off, I told the girl I wanted him if he wasn't claimed, and she wrote at the top of the page in bold letters "DON'T PUT UP FOR ADOPTION! CALL: REBECCA @ ___-____!!!"
I'm hoping thay actually do it, but I'll make sure my presence is known.

technodoll
July 10th, 2006, 09:05 AM
waiting for neeeeeeeeeeews! oh boy... layla would surely love a little bro.... she told me so! ;) she'd have to learn to share her fishies though, LOL! :highfive:

lewisw
July 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Puppluv,
I think we are all standing on pins and needles as this drama unfiolds.
I'm keeping my fingers :fingerscr that this story has a happy ending for both you and the pup.

Lewis

Golden Girls
July 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Puppy - too bad you didn't think just to foster him at your home and advise the SPCA you found him and gave your contact info

Imagine the zoo at the SPCA with the recent moving day and now those Huskies :sad: I don't see however why you would be charged adoption fees :confused: do you really think they would charge you if no one claims him? I also thought it was only a 3 day hold?

:fingerscr :pawprint:

BMDLuver
July 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM
The SPCA was not crowded from moving day... actually there were not that many dogs really. A ton of cats n kittens but that's normal.

The holding period varies according to location dog is found, they do not count weekend days or any holiday days, so based on strictly working days.

Yes, most likely if you wish to have him after the holding time is up, you will be required to adopt him. Unless he has a health issue which would then make him a permanent foster.

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM
They told me "a week, 5 days" so for us it's 5 working days, but since I dropped him off friday night/monday morning, it will be a full week.

I wish I had kept him and told the SPCA about him, but am also glad I didn't. If I did, and the owners claimed him, I would have grown WAAAAY too attached to him. Even in the few hours I had him, I fell in love. (As did Layla).

I guess the SPCA must just be full from the Huskies, if Moving day didn't bring many in, otherwise, how else could they be full??

I called, he's there. I hope to drop by this evening, but my concussion is "acting up" and making me nauseous, and I don't feel comfortable driving in this condition, so I'm going to try and sleep it off this afternoon.

technodoll
July 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I called, he's there. I hope to drop by this evening, but my concussion is "acting up" and making me nauseous, and I don't feel comfortable driving in this condition,

what concussion! :eek:

chico2
July 10th, 2006, 05:31 PM
TD,if I remember right,she was hit by a car a while back:sad:

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
TD,if I remember right,she was hit by a car a while back:sad:
That would be it Chico. Even though it was a while ago, it still makes me reallllly nauseous sometimes :(

technodoll
July 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM
oh wow... how terrible :( would a hug from the two beanies help? :grouphug:

Stacer
July 10th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm just reading this thread for the first time. Puppyluv I really hope that you can get that doggy. I found a dog wandering when I was in college, had a collar, no tags. I kept him for a few days, put posters up around the school then decided I had to give him to the spca. I called back a couple days after bringing him in and they said he was gone, but wouldn't give any details. I felt guilty for a long time, I assumed that since they refuse to give info that they must have put him down.:sad: Only a couple more days to wait:fingerscr :fingerscr yay yellow puppy

Lil'RickyMom
July 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I hope you get this little guy back... They probably will charge you an adoption fee though, they're all about bucks.....

NEVER EVER bring a dog in to the SPCA unless you absolutely cannot hold on to him a few days. They are really bad at matching owners with lost dogs, I almost put a dog up 2 years ago whom I was sure had been dumped on July 1st, and turned out was missing. The guy had been going every day to the SPCA, calling, checking with them, giving the description of his lost dog, and I was doing the same on my end with the description of the found dog..... Well guess what? They were too who-knows-what to realize that the dog found on the 1st, at the exact location where the dog was lost on the same day, dog description being very similar..... was the same dog. So another few days and the guy would have lost his dog forever. I saw her picture on the www.sergev.com site by pure coincidence and recognized her as the dog I had named Maggie......

So keep an eye out and go get him as soon as the time is up.....

Good luck to you

badger
July 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM
The SPCA badly needs a huge infusion of funds, some of it to establish a website where pictures and descriptions can be uploaded. They'd need a few support staff and probably a full-time tech but it could get a lot more animals back with their owners. The whole thing could be presented as an eminently fundable project. H*ll even I could write a proposal. Let's see some innovation, tabern*k, the problem isn't going away anytime soon.

Puppyluv
July 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
The SPCA badly needs a huge infusion of funds, some of it to establish a website where pictures and descriptions can be uploaded. They'd need a few support staff and probably a full-time tech but it could get a lot more animals back with their owners. The whole thing could be presented as an eminently fundable project. H*ll even I could write a proposal. Let's see some innovation, tabern*k, the problem isn't going away anytime soon.
I agree Badger. My Mom and I were talking on the phone last night, as they are looking at getting another dog soon, and while we were talking, we were jointly looking at the Calgary HS and the City of Calgary Animal Services website (I realize that I am totally uncool, but amsecure enough to admit that I was doing this). Their websites are amazing. They have not only the animals available for adoption on there, but also the impounded animals, so you don't even NEED to go in, you can just look online to see if your animal was brought in. I think it's a great prototype that Montreal could use s a jumping point.

ps.. still no claims

Frenchy
July 11th, 2006, 07:59 PM
:fingerscr keep calling them everyday!They won't be able to forget about you when the dog goes up for adoption.

Copper'sMom
July 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
He sure is a cutie!! And looks so much like Layla!!
Did you put up any flyers around the area you found him?? Or call a local radio station? I would still do this if he's at the SPCA!!

We found a dog once and had him for 2 weeks while we searched for his owner! We put flyers up and had the radio station mention this lost dog. Finally someone called about him - they had to describe him to me first before they got him. Was he neutered or intact? What colour collar? Markings etc We were fully prepared to keep him if need be - but I know he missed his owners very much:( he would look so sad at times.

I was angry at his owners as they told me he had done this 3 times before.:mad: I told them if they neutered him, he'd be less likely to roam!

Here he is with Copper!

Puppyluv
July 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM
What a cutie!! I've looked around for flyers. Gone to the dog park, where they have a little bulletin board.. nothing. I have asked some of the people that I regularily see at the park if they have heard anything. No one has. I saw a couple of homeless 20-somethings today and they had a dog that looked a lot like him. I asked if they had lost one of (possibly) his littermates, and they said that their dog was the only surviving puppy of his litter, so no.
The radio station is a good idea, I will give them a call.

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I'm half hoping he gets to go home with you... (ok more than half)

:fingerscr that it all works out for the best, whatever that may be.

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Puppyluv,why are you trying so hard to find the owners?It looks to me they don't want to be found.The dog had no rabies or city tag AND if I would loose my dog on friday night in Montreal,the first place I would call is the spca and I wouldn't wait a week to do so.Know what I mean?I think you're being way too nice and I hope YOU get the dog (if you really want to adopt him that is!)

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
i also thought about what would take the owners so long but they could be on vacations and the dog may have escaped from someone who's not as well informed about what to do.

Puppyluv
July 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Puppyluv,why are you trying so hard to find the owners?It looks to me they don't want to be found.The dog had no rabies or city tag AND if I would loose my dog on friday night in Montreal,the first place I would call is the spca and I wouldn't wait a week to do so.Know what I mean?I think you're being way too nice and I hope YOU get the dog (if you really want to adopt him that is!)
Believe me, I WANT this dog. But the one thing I would not be able to handle, worse even than not getting him at all, would be adopting him, and a week or two later, be out walking him and Layla, and someone aproaching me saying "that's my dog" and them doing everything in their power to get him back.
I wouldn't feel right about having him if I knew I hadn't made an effort to find the owners. Now that I've made the effort, I know that if he's not claimed 1) it was not because I tried to hide him from the original owners that he wasn't claimed and 2) it was simply meant to be.

coppperbelle
July 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I understand what you're saying but I also understand Frenchy. There is nothing I wouldn't do to find my dog if God forbid either one got lost. One of my dogs was found wandering in a soccer field. She had apparently been hanging around the park all day yet she belonged to no one. One lady who lived next to the park even had a collar that fit her and generously gave it to the person who decided to bring her home. People will go to extremes to rid themselves of their pets.
Another time some kids found a beautiful golden in a park near my home. Knowing that I rescue dogs they brought him to me. I fostered him for a day and then sent him off to another foster home. I left my phone number at the SCDD, SPCA etc... and checked the papers daily. I had the kids walk the dog through the neighborhood in case someone recognized him. A week after he was found we had him neutered and vaccinated with the intention of putting him up for adoption. The very next day I received a phone call from a lady who said she was looking for her golden. The SCDD had given her my phone number. When I told her it had been a week she said she knew but he often did that before but usually came back. Now I am in a bit of a panic because we have had this dog neutered. Her description of the dog did not completely match what this guy looked like so we came to the conclusion it wasn't the same dog. She said her dog was 8 or 9 years old and this one looked to be about 5 according to the vet. This one had a collar and hers did not. I am not completely convinced that it wasn't her dog but she wasn't that interested in him and never called me again. He was adopted and died 6 months later of cancer which made me think that maybe he was her dog and was 8 or 9 years old. He did get to spend his last 6 months in a loving home and died at peace with people that loved him.

My point in all this is that I understand how you would feel if you adopted him and then his owner later wanted him back because you did not look for him harder. My other point is that if the owner has not looked for their dog by now they may not deserve to have him.

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 04:33 PM
We've got all our :fingerscr and :pawprint: crossed for you, two doggies are better than one, NOT at all saying one dog is bad, just double the fun:D

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I think you are doing the right thing. You have made a valiant effort to find the owners. Things happen for a reason and if you get this cutie it was meant to be. I hope you do because they are a great looking pair.

Puppyluv
July 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
:( Well it wasn't meant to be. He was reclaimed today. Oh well.....maybe some other dog some other time.:sad:

catsnatcher-CDN
July 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
:(
any idea what took them so long??

Jackie467
July 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I know I haven't commented yet but I was following the thread and I was hoping that you would get him. It just seemed like a perfect fit. At least the owners were looking for him and weren't just trying to get rid of him.

Frenchy
July 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Well,took them long enough.:sorry: I guess you were right,it wasn't meant to be.The owner can be gratefull you find their dog.God knows what might have happen to him.You can give yourself a big pat on the back.Did you tell the news to Layla?Maybe she will pressure you to go to the spca this week end ;)

Puppyluv
July 12th, 2006, 08:00 PM
No idea what took so long. They showed up around 4 this afternoon (so I've been told at least). I'm happy for them that they found their dog... afterall, I would be heart broken if I lost Layla. I wish they would tag the boy, and if he is vaccinated for rabies, put that tag on his collar, and if not, get it done. Also, as a mix, there is no reason for him to be intact, and if this was a case of him wandering, neuthering might help in the future.....
I have a Q for those who know: If you find your lost dog at the SPCA, does it cost to get it back?

technodoll
July 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
awe... :( i guess it just wasn't meant to be... that means your little angel is just around the corner, waiting to find you n'layla very soon! and then everything will fall into place. but yeah, patience is not always an easy thing... the dog's owners owe you BIG TIME! :cool:

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Oh that is too bad I was hoping but that must mean that there is a doggy out there who needs you more, than this one did. Well you and layla can console each other. :pawprint: :pawprint:

LibbyP
July 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Yes I do know here you have to pay to get them back and depending on how many times they've been caught the $ gets higher. Here if you don't have a licence you also have to pay for this at the time of release as well. I am so sorry you didn't get this little guy but I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason and your true match will come, I know right now it doesn't make you feel any better. Can you leave your name that they can pass onto the owner?(for just incase they decide that he is too much for them?) Or if he comes back in that they'll call you?:grouphug:

Prin
July 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I don't know what the SPCA charges but the dog catcher in a burb of Montreal charged us $125 when our old dobie took off once (the dog catcher lived 4 houses down from us).

Sorry you lost your little man.:( :grouphug: :grouphug:

Sept13th
July 13th, 2006, 02:35 AM
This is such a sad thread....I was really hoping he'd get to go home with you :sad: