Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

World-Cup Soccer.

chico2
July 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Is nobody here watching the World-Cup???
We've had a great time,with neighbors(Italian/Portugees) and English..flags are flying high,of course with the Canadian flag on top.:ca:
We are definetly rooting for France(hubby being from France)and cannot wait for Sundays finals against Italy!!
Here's a pic!

Puppyluv
July 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM
No matter who wins, I won't be sleeping Sunday night...... what with Little Italy, and then well, the rest of the Francophones here.

jawert1
July 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
It's been all the rage at work, so we all watch during the day since my company does a lot of web streaming. One of the guys on my team is from Paris and he's been thoroughly obnoxious (in a good way) since they won against Portugal. It's a shame it's not nearly as big here in the States as it is other places but I'm glad technology has come up enough that I can watch matches at my desk ;)

joeysmama
July 8th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I have a friend who is actually one of the referees at the World Cup. They had a big going away party for him. It was very exciting. His wife and children were there for a bit and came home last week.

But...I haven't been following. Of course now that Italy is in I may have to watch ! :)

chico2
July 8th, 2006, 07:59 AM
People have been complaining,because we fly other countries flags,but it has brought out the best in people here,a festival spirit and I am the first one in my neighborhood to fly the Maple Leaf on Canada Day.
I of course also had the Swedish flag on my car,but when they lost to Germany it came down:sad:
Whoever wins Sunday,we'll have a good time,bbq/pool party time,but we are hoping for France:fingerscr :fingerscr
I just wish I could put a muzzle on hubby:D

Frenchy
July 8th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Chico2,I understand about the muzzle thing!I remember when I was a kid,some evenings I had trouble falling asleep because of my father,brother and brother in law were watching hockey games,lots of screams.

gomez
July 8th, 2006, 09:28 AM
We have been watching every single match - big football fans here!

Your Freddie Ljunberg is very popular as we are Arsenal fans - too bad they're out... And too bad England are out!

And tonight... Allez les bleus!

chico2
July 8th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Gomez,we too have watched every game,the England/Portugal match was a disgrace to soccer,really bad refs:mad:
We were at an English pub watching the England/Sweden game,4 Swedes in a sea of English fans,when it was a tie game..lots of fun!
We'll be watching THE game tomorrow at 2pm...Allez les Bleu:thumbs up

Puppyluv
July 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Four of my coworkers are Aussies, and they were all so proud just to have their team playing at all. It was really nice. But then when they lost on a penalty kick.... It wasn't a very happy day at the bucks. :(

gomez
July 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Gomez,we too have watched every game,the England/Portugal match was a disgrace to soccer,really bad refs:mad:
We were at an English pub watching the England/Sweden game,4 Swedes in a sea of English fans,when it was a tie game..lots of fun!
We'll be watching THE game tomorrow at 2pm...Allez les Bleu:thumbs up

YIKES!

I'm on the wrong day! Clearly, I have been spending too much time at work - although, I work in an open kitchen and have been able to see most matches through the pass on a projection screen - very cool!

Of course I meant THE game on Sunday - although I am glad the Germans won tonight, again, Lehman is an Arsenal hero, even though he gave up his spot to Kahn tonight, great gesture!

Lots of Arsenal players and ex-players on the French team, Henry, Vieira, Wiltord...

I have to agree with you, the England-Portugal match was a disgrace, and Rooney is an embarassment, really...

Allez les Bleus!

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
We are rooting for France too!! And I fly the Irish flag on St. patrick's Day - I even lend it to the city hall, lol (I figure Italy has won it enough, lol) I was surprised Beckham resigned?? It will be a very interesting game - if it is as exciting as the others. (Not that I got to watch most of them but I saw snippets).
Chico, I have to add a friend of mine is in Austria and is going to the game with her husband - they are not far from there. Not sure how they managed to get tix tho (I did not dare ask,lol) She said there were a group of Swedish medical students there who mde everything exciting in their boisterous cheers for their team!!

Prin
July 9th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I'm not really rooting for anybody, but I just hope they both want it. The Portugal/France game sucked (IMO) because Portugal gave up about 5 minutes into it. You could tell they just weren't as passionate about it as the French players were. When both teams really want it, it makes for a great game.

chico2
July 9th, 2006, 08:31 AM
C-K,actually it's the other way around:D Italy has not won since 1982,nor beaten France since 1978.
France got the World-Cup in 1998 and the Euro-cup in 2000.
I don't think Beckham resigned,he got hurt in his last game against Potugal.
,is he ever good-looking!!
As for the Swedes,yeah,I was rooting for them and was proud of them,cried a little hearing the Swedish National anthem,but Germany beat them:sad:
Portugal should have a goldmedal for diving,the only one they deserve:D
So,for today,may the best team win,of course we are rooting for France,but it's not so bad if Italy wins this time(well sort of:rolleyes: )

gomez
July 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Beckham did step down as captain of the England team - he says he still wants to play in the team though - there is a new coach coming in and he probably would not have chosen Becks as captain again, he is getting a bit old...

As for getting tix, We have heard that even the touts are slashing the prices of their tix as they can't get buyers, so it would not have been too difficult to get them for tonite's match...

chico2
July 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Gomez,oh yes,that's right,Beckham is no more the captain,but will still be playing.
I was always under the impression the English did not like the Swedish coach,but then again I am only a soccer fan every 2 years,World-Cup and Euro-Cup:D

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I read somewhere re the dates but I could be wrong - one just hears more about Italy I guess. (re football). Since my main languages are French and English - and we have many ppl of French heritage - I have to cheer for France, lol

I think gold medals for diving should be in abundance - I never saw so many divers!!!

I know how you feel about anthems Chico. I always choke up when I am away from home and hear the Canadian one - just as my grandmother did for the Irish one. I even shed the occasional tear for the US one - like in the Olympics, <g>

gomez
July 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Quel dommage.....:sad:

jiorji
July 9th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Quel dommage.....:sad:

I agree :sad:

technodoll
July 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
yayyy italy!! :D my BF is on cloud 9, and i'm happy he's happy... me, i could care less who wins, LOL! but i'm so happy for him. big day for the italians, they've waited since 1982 for their turn to hold the cup! :thumbs up

jiorji
July 9th, 2006, 09:06 PM
the honking is driving me NUTS .......NUUUUUTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

who else from here is out there honking and driving around?? I'll get you :evil: mwahahah:crazy:

chico2
July 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Oh well,it's over:sad: and for Zidane a very sad exit,in my view the best player in the world:love:
Whatever prompted him to headbutt Matserati(sp?),must have been something really bad,but he should definetly not have done that.:mad:
France still loves their heroes:thumbs up although hubby just about cried..
A great BBQ,a couple(or more)glasses of wine cured his sadness though!

Golden Girls
July 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I had my :fingerscr for France :sad:

Rick C
July 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I just find it odd that the "world's most popular game" features, on average, about two goals per contest and everyone thinks its great that a championship is decided on penalty shots. . . . . . yet apparently both those things are crimes in the NHL.

Just shows you that the culture surrounding a sport is everything . . . . . not the sport itself.

I would have been right there with you if England had gone further.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Writing4Fun
July 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Forza Italia!! :highfive:

Sorry about all the honking. :p

France definitely dominated during the game, but Italy is renowned for their fantastic defence. But in the end, one team has to win and I'm glad it was ours. :D I agree that penalty kicks are a lousy way to decide the winner of a team sport, but they can't go on playing forever. The players would never give up, and they'd eventually start putting their health at risk until they passed out on the field or injured themselves.

As for Zidane, that was a very sad way to end a carreer. :( I have no idea what Materazzi said to him, but you'd think Zidane was seasoned enough to know better. I read yesterday that this isn't the first time he's retaliated with physical violence. Which is strange, because I had just been telling everyone how impressed I was with his cool-headedness and how he was always showing himself to be such a great sportsman, always on good terms with his opponents. Just goes to show that we're all human after all. Oh, well. He's a great player, regardless. I hope history is kind to him.

HunterXHunter
July 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Damnit! I was cheering for France all the way! Every critic out there was saying how France's average age was too high and how they'll be out soon and how Zidane was too old to play, etc. I guess France showed them! (kinda)...while I don't agree with Zidane headbutting Materazzi, you could see that just moments before the incident Materazzi and Zidane had a few choice words for each other, but even as Zidane was walking away, Materazzi kept on talking sh!t. But what a poor way to end such a great soccer career...:(

IMHO, I don't think Italy deserved the cup. Yes, they played well at times, but got some lucky breaks as well (like when they got the penalty shot vs Australia), but whatever...I guess we have the European Cup to look forward to in 2 years.

Schwinn
July 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I don't watch soccer but I was hoping for a French win. By the umpteenth Italian flag passing us on the highway on our trip home yesterday, with nary a french flag to be seen, I correctly assumed that Italy won.

chico2
July 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Rick,you are wrong thinking soccer-fans LOVE a penalty-kick ending of such an important game,nobody does,it's a lousy way to end any game,be it hockey or soccer!
I started off with a Swedish and a French flag on my car,the Swedish one came off and now the French:sad:
I am sad to see it's over,we had some good times,but everything has to come to an end:p

CyberKitten
July 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I thought France played the stronger game - until those ridiculous penalty shots so yeah, I disagree with you on that too Rick. I once watched an Atom hockey game for three OT periods!! They are not about culture- they make no sense - and I have lived in Europe and know many who also agree with me. I would hate to have them in the NHL and thank God for small favours, we don't!! I hated them in the Olympics - in hockey!! It WAS a good game with a bad outcome. And the headbutting was wrong no matter what was said - so sad to end a wonderful career on that note.

To paraphrase a certain famous poem, il n'ya pas de joie ici aujourd'hui (ou en France).
Parce ce que le melleiuers equipe a perdu un seule but a la fin de journee. <g>
Sighhhhhhhhhhh!!

(Sorry- hard to do the accents here (ASCII keys do not work) and it is too time consuming to use the char map. <g>

Congrats to all the Italian fans!

Rick C
July 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
To be clear . . . . . I think its a lousy way to settle a championship as well BUT it seems to be acceptable in Europe and around the globe, in general, which was my only point.

As periodic observors of soccer we might be mystified by it whereas fervent, full-time supporters don't really question it . . . . . hence the point about culture.

On the other hand, with soccer, they might have been playing for another eight hours of extra time before someone accidentally scored. There's the practical side too.

Maybe I should stop over-analyzing things and just go back to sleep while you guyz have your fun. :p

That guy who got head-butted looked like a diver . . . . . there's a lot of diving in soccer. Seriously, can you really get knocked down that easily from a head-butt to the chest?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

chico2
July 10th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Well,Zidane has finally told what happened,not to excuse his retaliation,but Materrazzi,as Zidane was walking away..called Zidane "a f..ing Arab and a terrorist and to play for his own country".
Zidane has Algerian parents,but was born in France,is a frenchman.
There is a silver-lining..Zidane got the Golden Ball as the best player of the tournament:thumbs up
Before France played and beat Spain,racial slurs were thrown around aimed at France's coloured players and the Spanish players had to apologize,as should Materazzi:mad: not that it would help.

jiorji
July 10th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Well,Zidane has finally told what happened,not to excuse his retaliation,but Materrazzi,as Zidane was walking away..called Zidane "a f..ing Arab and a terrorist and to play for his own country".
Zidane has Algerian parents,but was born in France,is a frenchman.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
that annoys me to no end!!that's such a cheap thing to say!

What's his race got to do with playing soccer?:confused: why can't some people just look past race and culture and just enjoy a game in a friendly peaceful manner??

If it were up to me....the "losers" would be invited to join in the celebration...which i doubt happens anywhere in the world.:sad:

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Speaking of annoying world cup back lash, we had this Italian woman come in today, who was SOOO belligerent. She came in, and was like "Italy won yesterday, and I'm Italian, Isn't it fabulous, France was horrible, and had no right to win" yadda yadda yadda she asked my Aussi coworkers "aren't you embarrassed thar your country did so poorly?" and then asked for a free drink because of it all.

technodoll
July 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM
puppyluv... i hope all she got was a kick in the pants! :evil:

Puppyluv
July 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM
puppyluv... i hope all she got was a kick in the pants! :evil:
LOL, well I offered her a free glass of water, but apparantly that wasn't what she meant...:evil: unfortunately no swift kicks were given

gomez
July 10th, 2006, 07:30 PM
To be clear . . . . . I think its a lousy way to settle a championship as well BUT it seems to be acceptable in Europe and around the globe, in general, which was my only point.

As periodic observors of soccer we might be mystified by it whereas fervent, full-time supporters don't really question it . . . . . hence the point about culture.

On the other hand, with soccer, they might have been playing for another eight hours of extra time before someone accidentally scored. There's the practical side too.

Maybe I should stop over-analyzing things and just go back to sleep while you guyz have your fun. :p

That guy who got head-butted looked like a diver . . . . . there's a lot of diving in soccer. Seriously, can you really get knocked down that easily from a head-butt to the chest?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rick, we are "fervent, full-time supporters" of football in general and Arsenal FC, season ticket holders for 10 years, we go to away matches, the lot - and we think, along with England and the rest of Eurpoe, that penalties are a lousy way out, but it has to be done - the players are running in the heat or freezing rain most of the time, and the only protection they wear is a cup and a pair of shin guards, they are not skating along a smaller area fully protected - if they kept playing any more than the extra 30 minutes they would suffer greatly, heat exhaustion, hypothermia, let alone the knock their bodies would take from legal or illegal tackles...

Plus Premeirship teams play at least one game a week, imagine the total league games in a season is 39, plus Champion's League matches, plus FA Cup matches, plus Worthington Cup matches, etc... and then, they get the benefit of playing in the World Cup for hours on end? I don't think it would work, unfortunately...

These are the only reasons it is acceptable to play for penalties, not because the fans like it, we don't...

As for the headbutting, Zidane has always been an extremely physical player, he has had a great number of red cards in his career, and he is also a big boy, a head butt from him might send a lot of men flying backwards! Materazzi is a diver, but I really think he was caught so much by surprise that he did not have time to think about diving!

Now, as Zidane had already commited the offence of headbutting a player in his last match, he might as well have gone down in flames and head butted the ref while he was at it!! ;)

Unfortunately, I think this was one of the most boring World Cups ever. There was no creative playing, too much defending and not enough attacking and no big displays of flair and fun, not even the Brazilian team - The World Cup should be a showcase for excellent football, I don't think this one was - to me it almost seemd dissapointing, like the SUperbowl, all hype and no fun...

The only elegant match, in my mind, was the Portugal-Germany 3rd place match, what grace from the part of the Germans, I'm glad they at least got 3rd place -

Oh well...

2 weeks till the start of the season! Poor guys are going to be tired!

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I agree with the shoot out thing... I mean why don't they just make it a 90 minute back and forth of shoot outs then? But still, the best team still wins in a way, right?

For Zidane, violence is bad and all that, but what a horrible thing to say to anybody! :mad:

greaterdane
July 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Well we live in little italy. Got home from the Grand Prix and couldnt get down our street.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lickinlizard/IMG_0289.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lickinlizard/IMG_0277.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lickinlizard/IMG_0285.jpg

chico2
July 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Watching the news on TV5 France last night,you would think France won the World-Cup.:p emotions running high,even I had a little tear in my eye..
/Correction to my earlier post,Zidane said nothing to the press,a relative of his,in Marseille quoted to the press what had transpired/
Zidanes incident aside,there are other deserving stars Ribery(my fav)Henry to name a couple and France love their soccerstars,win or loose.
The same could be said for Leaf fans here in Toronto,they never give up:D
I grew up being passionate about soccer AND hockey,depending on the season,as passionate as the Swedes can get about anything:p
but I have to agree with Gomez,soccer is the most gruelling sport,more so than hockey or anything else..
I also congratulate all our Italian friends,I thought it was an exciting tournament at least here where I live,strangers talked to strangers and it was a good excuse for people to get together,no matter who they rooted for:thumbs up

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah, in the gazette yesterday, they said it was his brother they spoke to... Still...

technodoll
July 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM
gotta see the humor in it, though... http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18546

:D :D

Prin
July 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Those are funny. I love the kitty one.:D