Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Acting Aggressive

KarenS.
July 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I recently moved into a much larger apartment, one that now has carpeting. The good new is that my 2 3/4 year old spayed female can run like the wind. She is so happy now, I can almost hear her giggle when she runs throughout the apartment. The problem I am having is in the morning when I am walking around the apartment. She has taken to arching her back, bringing out her nails and running at me sideways - like she is going to fight and is making herself larger. The past 3 mornings, her tail is puffed out - a lot! I have been laughing at her when she runs at me sideways, but now I am getting just a little concerned - especially about her puffed tail. I had read somewhere that meant they were either in high aggression or scared. Should I be concerned?

chico2
July 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Karen,I don't think so,cats especially young ones,will puff up and have a threatening posture,just to play.
Unless she is literally attacking you and biting,I don't think you need to worry.
Take out her favourite toy and give her a few minutes of play,or better yet,get her a little kitty friend to play with.
Two cats are ALWAYS better than one!

badger
July 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Sounds like she's feeling her oats. Keep those nails trimmed! If it truly freaks you out, you could also say NO and turn your back. She'll get it. Eventually.

Snooky'sMom
July 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM
My beloved Himmy that I lost last year would always do that with me and he was the most non-aggressive cat I've known. He just liked playing with me. I used to call it his "Spider walk". Sounds like your kitty is really enjoying herself. I wouldn't worry about aggression.