Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ATTN All Newbies...

mona_b
January 16th, 2004, 07:46 PM
PLEASE PLEASE.

If your pet is seriously ill,bleeding,can't move.Hasn't pooped or peed in a couple of days.Has green mucus coming out of the nose or eyes.Is not or hasn't eaten or drank in a few days.Is pooping blood.Is coughing blood.Has a bloated tummy.Cries when touched or picked up.Then for gawd sakes,take the poor animal to the VETS ASAP.......

I'm sorry but we are reading alot in regaurds to this and it is upsetting for us when people come on here with a seriously ill animal asking for help.The time that you get a response from a vet in here just might be to late.

Sorry but I had to say this.

Luba
January 16th, 2004, 08:06 PM
OMG you were reading my mind.
I was going to ask Marco to do this!

Carina
January 17th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Thank you Mona!!
Also to newbies....realise nobody here can diagnose an animal over the internet. It just can't be done! Even by a vet; all anyone can do is make a guess, maybe, or offer a temporary solution. If you have an animal in obvious pain or distress, TAKE IT TO A VET!
Then come on here & we can discuss things like treatment options, share info, etc.

Mona's 100% correct. Post after post we see people describing an animal that's clearly ill and in pain, or will likely die without vet intervention. It's real frustrating for us regulars, because we can't do anything - only you as owner and caretaker can.

And if you have some escuse like not being able to afford it, not having a car, whatever - well too bad!! Figure out some way. That's what a responsible, caring owner would do. I've been poor to the point of actually being homeless living in a van and I had a dog. If he'd needed emergency help, I would have found a way, believe me.

I was also going to ask Marko about putting a permanent "sticky note" at the top of this forum about this. Yoohoo Marko....

mona_b
January 17th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Well guys I had to.We,as regulars are reading this all the time.And it upsets the heck out of us.So I just had to.

And Marco,I know I should have asked you first.Sorry.

You forgive me?:D

LavenderRott
January 17th, 2004, 09:23 AM
And judging from the pm I got the other day, the newbies think that we should be nice, tell you your dying pet will be ok, and tell you how to home medicate for something the most talented vet would have a hard time diagnosing on line.

I have no problem helping someone out with health issues. And I agree, a forum like this offers a wealth of knowledge about different illnesses. But come here after you make an appointment with the vet. Not before.

Lucky Rescue
January 17th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Another point to make, and one which may penetrate into some brains is:

In many places, refusing to get treatment for sick or injured animals is AGAINST THE LAW!!!

mona_b
January 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM
So very true LR..

Thanks for pointing that out.