Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescued Huskies

coppperbelle
July 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
The owner has relinquished all rights to his dog and the SPCA is taking possession of them immediately. They will be spayed/neutered and put up for adoption starting Monday.
One thing that shocked me was that the man who saved them is being charged with something. Go figure, you try and do something and get in trouble for it.

LM1313
July 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Yikes! What's he being charged with? He sounded helpful to me . . .

Poor huskies, I'm glad they're being spayed/neutered and I hope they find homes . . . but I really think they're going to be more than most pet owners can handle. I guess all we can do is hope for the best.

Golden Girls
July 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Montreal Gazette June 30th (for the ones who missed it)

Hairy situation for rescued huskies
Men who discovered starving dogs must show court they can properly care for them

Guy Racicot was among a group of people who discovered 26 starving Huskies on June 13 and convinced their owner to give them up. Up for debate is whether he can care for the dogs better than the SPCA.

A custody battle continues to brew over who gets to care for 26 huskies that were found clinging to life in an Entrelacs kennel just over two weeks ago.

Yesterday morning in a Joliette courtroom, Judge Michelle Toupin gave the people who saved the starving huskies until next week to prove that they can take better care of the dogs than the SPCA.

Guy Racicot and Eric Lefrancois were among a group of people that discovered the starving huskies on June 13. One dog has since died and another is in a hospital.

The two men said they convinced the dogs' owner, Laurent Willen, to hand them over so they could care for them.

Willen sat in the front row and kept his eyes lowered for most of the hearing. He declined a request by The Gazette for an interview.

Crown prosecutor Bruno Leclerc told the judge that Willen admits he mistreated his dogs and wants to give them to the Montreal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The animals are still legally his property.

Racicot and Lefrancois hired a lawyer because they want the dogs to remain in their care. They sat attentively throughout the hearing.

"This is a half-trial with half- truths," said their attorney, Sylvain Frechette. He asked the judge to give him more time to prove his clients can care for the dogs.

"Had we known there would be questions of whether they are suitable guardians, we would have brought witnesses," he said yesterday, pointing out they received a summons that only stated the dogs were no longer needed for the Surete du Quebec investigation.

The judge then asked the Crown what the urgency was to hand over the dogs to the SPCA right away.

Leclerc replied that there were questions as to whether the men could care for the dogs because they already owned 80 huskies. He also questioned whether they were financially capable of caring for the animals because they requested donations.

Racicot, Lefrancois and his girlfriend, Karine Latimer, run a dogsledding company, K-9 Expeditions, in St. Jean de Matha, about 80 kilometres northeast of Montreal. They are now caring for 105 huskies, including the ones rescued.

They said they've received about $4,000 in food and donations.

Pierre Barnoti, executive director for the SPCA, said the organization's mandate is to treat animals and to find them homes. He said huskies are not your average household pet.

"These dogs must live outside. We will not give one of these dogs to a 65-year-old lady living alone in a St. Laurent apartment building," he said.

"We will try to find them homes that suit the pets' and the guardians' needs."

Racicot agrees.

"We know (huskies) and we love them," he said, walking out of a freshly cleaned kennel to a symphony of dogs barking yesterday afternoon.

"These are pack dogs and you can't give them up for adoption to an old lady in the city," he said, walking by the wagging tails of panting huskies.

The dogs are still being followed by a veterinarian, but are much healthier and have gained weight, Racicot said.

According to the provincial police, no animal cruelty charges have been laid and the investigation is continuing.

Follow-up today CTV News tonight
http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/cfcf#news_6741

Rottielover
July 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I wish all the luck for these poor souls

Golden Girls
July 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I only hope for the best for these huskies ... they've been through enough suffering and saving them was just the beginning :pawprint: Let's all pray they get the best possible foster care they deserve.

lewisw
July 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
For those who did not see it in todays paper here is the entire article.
http://www.atozfitness.com/dani/huskies.jpg
Lewis

OntarioGreys
July 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
OH Geez what a mess :(

Anyone have updates of how the 12 year old husky-greyhound mix Teggy isdoing, I did read one had died? I am assuming it may not be her and she is one of the 2 in foster care.

glasslass
July 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM
You wouldn't think the original owner, who neglected and abandoned these dogs, should have ANY say whatever who gets the dogs. He gave up that right when he left them to starve to death! Would love to know the story behind the black eye. :evil:

chico2
July 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Glasslass,I agree 100%,what kind of laws do we have,where an animal-abuser lets his dogs starve to death and then has a say in anything,it's just sickening.
This man should be behind bars for a few years..
Poor dogs,I hope they will not live their lives behind bars at the SPCA,I am sure they would not live long alone in a cell-like place.
Please keep us updated,since we read nothing of this in Ontario.

OntarioGreys
July 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
You wouldn't think the original owner, who neglected and abandoned these dogs, should have ANY say whatever who gets the dogs. He gave up that right when he left them to starve to death! Would love to know the story behind the black eye.

Part of this was political there was donation money involved, the SPCA probably bargained with the owner to go easier on him with regards to charges if he co-operated by signing the dogs over to them. The other part of the politics comes from goverment pressure from the public, many animal lovers do not understand the lives of these dogs they think every dog should have a place on someones couch, and I have no doubt PETA as well as other animal right's organzitions are also involved in pressuring the goverment, these segments under no way want another dog sledder looking after these dogs as they view them as being cruel and inhumane in their treatment of dogs based on distortions and false info put out by AR groups

badger
July 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I'm beginning to understand.
Do you think this will push the government to enact some tougher laws?
Are dog sledders cruel to their dogs, in fact?
Do you know if they are regulated at all?

Sorry, I wish I knew more.

I am very glad charges will be laid, and hope that one of the outcomes will be to ban him from owning animals for at least ten years (I'm probably dreaming).

Frenchy
July 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Thank you so much for the update,it must be great to see them getting healthy and happy!Good job :thumbs up

Rottielover
July 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
It is great seeing them every day, and watch them grow to their full potential.

OntarioGreys
July 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I'm beginning to understand.
Do you think this will push the government to enact some tougher laws?
Are dog sledders cruel to their dogs, in fact?
Do you know if they are regulated at all?

Sorry, I wish I knew more.

I am very glad charges will be laid, and hope that one of the outcomes will be to ban him from owning animals for at least ten years (I'm probably dreaming)

The sled dog owners are required to still required to follow the laws with regards to animal care.

Most people who get involved in sledding or dog racing do so because the love the breed and it athleticism, the money itself is too small an incentive to get into the business for that reason alone. but it is like any other walk of life there are the bad apples and the good, and the bad apples are well into the minority but it is their acts that get the medias attention and it helps sells newspapers, very few people are going to want to buy a newspaper to just ti read about how Mr Good Joe loves and cares for his dogs. Because of Mr Bad Apple, people start believing all sled dogs must be treated horribly the you get the Animal Right groups who prey upon these emotions as it turns into huge donations for them, sadly non of those donations will go directly to animal care, they use the donations as a political tool, and they also twist fact or incidences like these to help generate more dollars. In this story and like many of the ugly stories that occur in greyhound racing, that bad guy is turned over and reported by by their own member, meaning they often self police themselves inorder to protect the sport and the animals they love. The also have regulations as spelled out by their racing association

If you do a search you will find anti racing sites, a lot of what they put up is so blown out of proportion with only the slightest hint of the truth, and they grab sympathy using horrific pictures, some that may not even be related, they do this to raise thousand ofdollars as part of their political agenda to shut down racing. And it is not much about the care of the dogs(none of the money they raise goes directly into care of the animals) this has to do with ending ownership of all animals including pets, attacking racing and making it appear as ugly and cruel as possible to naive individuals is the easiest way to start chipping away at animal ownership one step at a time. if they succeed in one area and animals become displaced as a result of their actions and need to be euthanized instead, they view this as acceptable as one member explained it to me "they are the casualities of war, some will have to die inorder to win"

There is a reason I brought the anti racing up, as long as we continue to have sled dog racing we have the finest, genetically healthiest and most functional specimens of huskies, siberian and malamute breeds anywhere in the world, I can almost guarantee you that little to none of these working dogs suffer from genetic hip displaysia, I know that is not the case with many of the pet ones and as the pet populations genetic health deteriorates further these sled dogs will become necessary inorder to salvage the breed, and racing is a necessary part of testing the dogs to find the best breeding specimens to keep the breed health and intelligent If the AR's win and these sled dogs become there casualities of their war the future of these ancient nordic spitz breeds could be lost as well without their genetic material left available.

The AKC greyhound and the American German shepherd are 2 examples of breeds that were saved due to having functional working stock to draw from to revive their health. The GSD health and intelligence and become so poor the police associations wanted nothing anymore to do with the dogs, as it was costing them too much in assessing a training hundreds of GSD to find only a small handful that could function as police dogs, the police started importing their dogs from Germany's working stock and the breeders knowing they were in trouble did the same

OntarioGreys
July 8th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I am so happy Teggy is doing great and Kana as well

Does Teggy love to get dirty while showing total passion and zest in the process?

My last 2 furkids were/are very very shy, and with them play is never a halfway emotion they approach playtime with extreme exuberance and wild abandonment and often very very recklessly they have had me shutting my eyes waiting for death screams of pain as they run around the yard and barely missing trees or one of the other dogs and in Callie case jumping over things at super high speeds even at 9 years old. I always wonder if other shy dog's live life with this kind of super high passion too.

glasslass
July 8th, 2006, 03:05 AM
A few years back I think it did get out of hand a bit. Mushers were using dogs that really weren't cut out for the sometimes extreme conditions on the trail. There was even a team of standard poodles - they ran, they finished last, but they did finish. The race officials finally established regulations as to what breeds could compete. I think that was a good thing. Check out this link.

http://home.gci.net/~poodlesleddog/

Golden Girls
July 11th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Seen on the news last night the SPCA took possession of the remaining 20 huskies. It was really sad seeing them getting "loaded" up ... they were so anxious and scared but no matter what the fault lies with this owner ... Politically or otherwise they were surrended to Barnoti and that's that. Here's wishing for every one of these guys and hope they each find a home that will truly take care for them now. I'm also glad to hear spaying/neutering will be done prior to adoption - my 2 cents

BMDLuver
July 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I'm also glad to hear spaying/neutering will be done prior to adoption - my 2 cents
Have sort of been following the story.. can you send me where that is in writing?

chico2
July 11th, 2006, 07:00 AM
I am just hoping that the wellfare of these poor dogs is a priority for Barnoti,not the $$$$ collected.
I fear after a while,when these dogs are no more news-worthy,they will all be deemed unsuitable for adoption and destroyed,but then again,I am a little paranoid about Barnoti,having once gotten a not so cordial e-mail from him:pawprint:

Golden Girls
July 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Have sort of been following the story.. can you send me where that is in writing?That was quoted by him to the media - maybe you should ask him to honour his words.

Chico I prefer to hope their at least in better hands ... not tied to some tree starving ...

coppperbelle
July 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I heard him say on the news last night that the dogs would be spayed/neutered. I believe it was also written in yesterday's Gazette.

chico2
July 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM
G-G,that goes without saying,of course they are better off now,than the way they were found.

Golden Girls
July 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I know what your saying Chico ... but remember those Blainville dogs, they were in horrible horrible conditions never even seen daylight. It brought in alot of donations but in return the ones that were able to be saved were whether it be because the public was watching or not and are now in wonderful foster homes awaiting trial. I've met one of these guys at pet therapy place ... it's heartwarming to see 1st hand that animals despite horrible beginnings sometimes can come around ... so again maybe for these huskies there's hope.

Lil'RickyMom
July 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM
If I can put my 2 cents.... Do you remember the German Shepherds from last year? The ones found in the mobile home outside of Motnreal? The family that had 30 dogs in there with a bunch of kids....

Well Barnotti came out a big hero, he got the media attention, the donations, the help, the sympathy of the public.... He claimed all dogs were going to be sterilized, nursed back to healt and put up for adoption.

THey were all sterilized, some were put up and they started coming back. So they changed their minds and decided to euthanize all the ones that were left. My friend and I took 15 out of there, and brought them to a no-kill shelter in Ontario. We did 4 trips, crammed a bunch of dogs totally illegally in her little car and drove them out of there. We did this at night, after work. One of them originally placed by the SPCA was brought back after we had taken all of the others out, and she was to be put down, so I rescued her and placed her in a permanent home here in MOntreal.

So I know exactly what will happen to these Huskies. They will be checked, sterilized and vaccinated, they will put some up for adoption, and within no time will claim that they are not adoptable and should be put down (of course they do not claim this publicly.....).

Golden Girls
July 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Sophie I don't recall those GSD's but that is very sad. I'm not surprised though you saved 15 of them yourself :angel:

Frenchy
July 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Oh yes I remember the GS,it was horrible.I don't trust Barnoti.And I don't believe him when he says he will spay/neuter all the dogs.Why do you think they don't do it to every dog up for adoption?It is cover in the adoption fee so why not do it before the dog is adopted?Just in case they have to euthanize him!

mastifflover
July 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Frenchy that is awful can you not get this man Barnotti out of there. I have not heard anything good about this man he sounds like our Tim Trow at HS Toronto

LM1313
July 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Oh my God, that's horrible. Those poor dogs. :(

Rottielover
July 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I do know that teggy and Kana are safe, and away from that nasty son of a b.........ch. Kana has done such a turn around since being with us, she has started to gain weight, control her bowels in the cage at night, and also seek our attention. Cute little puppy antics. She has started to become the dog she was supposed to be. I look forward to seeing her every morning. I will miss her dearly when she will have to go to her forever home.
Teggy, is also doing alot better. No where from being clean at night, but with alot of time and patience there is hope.
We were told that she was 12. Well, looked at her teeth very closely, and she is nowhere near that age, or she just has amazing teeth.
her teeth states she is around 6 or 7.
She has also started to come around, eyes wide open when she sees us in the morning. Now looking forward to a good meal. Not as shy with us. still tries to escape any chance she gets. Kana is more affectionate. Wet willies and all. Next week I will be taking pictures of the 2 babies. Now they are looking better

Frenchy
July 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM
mastifflover,if there was something we could do about getting M.Barnotti out of there...the way things are going,I would be afraid his replacement would be even worse than him! I hope with the media coverage,there will be no euthanasia done,and people who will adopt these dogs will do the best thing for them.I know lots of the fosters that got the dogs from Blainville got to adopt them.Maybe it will be the same for the huskies :fingerscr Rottielover,I can't wait to see pictures of them!

cpietra16
July 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Is anyone on this board connected to someone on a major newspaper that can go in and question Mr. Barnotti regarding his handling of the GSD's and why he turned around and did exactly what he said he would not do??? AND will this same fate belong to these beautiful Huskies???
I don't get why these people are never held accountable for their actions:mad:

Rottielover
July 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
because he has alot of money, alot of power, and a hell of a great lawyer :(

Prin
July 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I think the fact that these huskies are coming to stay in Montreal says it all.:sad:

mastifflover
July 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM
I am sure you have probably contacted the Husky rescues but could none of the get some out of there? I agree Prin. Unfortunatley Quebecs animal laws our worse than ours. Now that is sad because our suck.

OntarioGreys
July 13th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Interesting article about the Quebec SPCA finding 2 large puppymills in total 700 dogs and the number they saved out of that total. :eek:

http://jowlflapper.com/puppy_mill/citizen4.html

I wonder how many of those huskies would have been alive today had the SPCA stumbled on them first???

badger
July 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Look at the date. Nothing has changed!

poodletalk
July 23rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know how the huskies are doing? Did any get adopted yet?

fosterpat
July 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
I just heard that a foster from Rosie's animal adoption has decided to adopt her rescued husky. The one year old dog is almost blind from a previous untreated disease. He will have a great family with 2 boys and a cat companion. He has come a long way from when he first arrived at the vet, several weeks ago and the family just could not give him up.

mastifflover
July 23rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
This is a great ending for that boy I hope the others are so lucky

chico2
July 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM
That is wonderful news,especially since it is a special needs dog:thumbs up
I too would like some news,what happens to the rest of the huskies at the MSPCA,maybe there is news on their web-site:confused:

Golden Girls
July 24th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I've also been wondering. I would of thought by now there would be a public plea for financial donations - I'm sure it won't be too long now, we'll read their follow-up :fingerscr

Toonces
July 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Which "no kill" shelter was that?

What part are people thinking is awful? Euthanizing?

If I can put my 2 cents.... Do you remember the German Shepherds from last year? My friend and I took 15 out of there, and brought them to a no-kill shelter in Ontario. We did 4 trips, crammed a bunch of dogs totally illegally in her little car and drove them out of there. We did this at night, after work. One of them originally placed by the SPCA was brought back after we had taken all of the others out, and she was to be put down, so I rescued her and placed her in a permanent home here in MOntreal.

So I know exactly what will happen to these Huskies. They will be checked, sterilized and vaccinated, they will put some up for adoption, and within no time will claim that they are not adoptable and should be put down (of course they do not claim this publicly.....).

Rottielover
July 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I wanted to give an update on Kana and Peggy. They are awesome. Kana has been clean in her den at night for about 2 weeks, but peggy is another story.BUT let me tell you, this morning I went in to open, let them out. To my great surprise Peggy was clean... OMG good girl as I am running her outside. As soon as she got outside, she let one heck of a pee go. Good girl peggy lots of praise.
They has started to bond to me. Kana every morning gives me a hello howl, and peggy curls up next to me.
Tonight they were spoiled, I gave them each a bone. Kana knew what to do, but peggy looked at it at first as if is was an alien. Kana showed her what to do.
We started slowly to have them spend more time inside. Alot less howling.
They will make great pets. I just do not know who has the right to find them a home. SPCA will not say anything.
I will be looking. They deserve much more than what we can give.

mastifflover
July 26th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the update I am glad they are doing well. Give them a big hug for me.

rainbow
July 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear about Kana and Peggy. :thumbs up

Any news yet on the fate of the others? :fingerscr

chrisandfluffy
August 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM
The huskies at the MSPCA need to find good homes and fast. Spread the word. They are beautiful creatures.

chrisandfluffy
August 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know how the huskies are doing? Did any get adopted yet?
The huskies at the MSPCA need to find good homes (fast).

chrisandfluffy
August 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Yikes! What's he being charged with? He sounded helpful to me . . .

Poor huskies, I'm glad they're being spayed/neutered and I hope they find homes . . . but I really think they're going to be more than most pet owners can handle. I guess all we can do is hope for the best.

Actually, the huskies would make very good pets. I've spent time with them and they are every bit as appreciative of TLC as any other dog. They are sensitive and would thank their owners every day for saving their lives.

rainbow
August 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Actually, the huskies would make very good pets. I've spent time with them and they are every bit as appreciative of TLC as any other dog. They are sensitive and would thank their owners every day for saving their lives.

I agree. They are wonderful dogs and thrive on companionship. I wish I could afford to adopt another one. :love:

I sure hope they find the loving homes that they are so deserving of. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

lewisw
August 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I wanted to give an update on Kana and Peggy. They are awesome. Kana has been clean in her den at night for about 2 weeks, but peggy is another story.BUT let me tell you, this morning I went in to open, let them out. To my great surprise Peggy was clean... OMG good girl as I am running her outside. As soon as she got outside, she let one heck of a pee go. Good girl peggy lots of praise.
They has started to bond to me. Kana every morning gives me a hello howl, and peggy curls up next to me.
Tonight they were spoiled, I gave them each a bone. Kana knew what to do, but peggy looked at it at first as if is was an alien. Kana showed her what to do.
We started slowly to have them spend more time inside. Alot less howling.
They will make great pets. I just do not know who has the right to find them a home. SPCA will not say anything.
I will be looking. They deserve much more than what we can give.

Have you brought any of them to Centennial dog run or are you still staying away from it. The other night there were 15 dogs including Dani all getting along great and there were 3 huskies .

Best,
Lewis

rainbow
August 10th, 2006, 05:54 PM
The huskies at the MSPCA need to find good homes (fast).

Any luck yet finding forever homes?

You should post this on the Rescue (Adopt) a Dog Forum here. :dog: :pawprint:

lezzpezz
August 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM
As luck would have it, I know of a loving family that is looking for a husky. I got a call from a co-worker on Sunday that asked if I could help rehome a husky that comes from a family that is splitting up. The dog is now in the care of the husband, who works long days and the dog now lives in a crate:(
which he realizes is unfair and cruel. So he has decided to try to find a new home for it.

I offered to help and my hubby chimed in that a co-worker of his is indeed looking for a dog, a husky in fact! She currently owns a deaf German shepherd and wants another dog in the family ;) .

Well, all was looking good until the owner changed his mind midstream and decided to try letting the dog live with his dad. May or may not work, but it is now not coming to the family that anticipated it.

This family takes fantastic care of their current dog and lets it go for a good play at the off leash park daily for 2 hours! I am confident that they will be just as responsible and caring of a second dog.

What are the odds of one of these lovely dogs in need being rehomed here in London? I know that relocation is an issue but anything is possible.

Would one of these dogs fair well as a city dweller? With another dog? Children? Or are they best rehomed in norther climes where they can live out thier lives in a fashion they are accustomed to?

Like I said....a long shot.....but a great opportunity for the right family and the right dog....It would be amazing to help these dogs....

rainbow
August 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Would one of these dogs fair well as a city dweller? With another dog? Children? Or are they best rehomed in norther climes where they can live out thier lives in a fashion they are accustomed to?

Huskies do best with the companionship of another dog, especially another husky, or else, a breed similar in size.

They do not have to live in a "northern climate". I lived in northwest B.C. when I got my first two huskies. We moved with them to southeast B.C. and they adjusted just fine. I have another husky here now and our summers are 30 to 38 degrees celsius. Our winters are 0 to -15 degrees celsius.

lezzpezz
August 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Yes, I have a husky as well and he copes with the hot summers. My concern was about the dogs that are now with the SPCA and if they would adjust to such a dramatic lifestyle change: from sled dog tied outside and worked hard, (which they love!), to a city dweller in a fenced yard forced to sleep in a warm bed and fed too much!:cloud9:

I wouldn't want the dog to go squirley and feel like it is out of it's element and become unmanageable. I guess if it gets the right amount of exercise and is treated lovingly, it could get used to being spoiled pretty fast;) Just want the best environment for the dog(s).

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandfluffy

I think the poster is referring to the SPCA huskies.

I'm also sure they would adapt very well as long as they're exercised. They do thrive on companionship and do best with another dog of comparable needs and temperment.

Golden Girls
September 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
It's been 2 months since they've been surrendered to Barnoti.

I met this guy last night with 2 huskies (never met real working dogs*phew* they were really fast) He knows Laurent Willen, Racicot and Lafrancois, according to him no one knows how these huskies are doing :confused: He also is one of their competitors in the same town.

I just wonder if anyone heard or knows anything?

chico2
September 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Yes,I too have been thinking of them:confused: maybe this is one of those instances,where things are kept quiet and a few months from now,we'll learn they were just not adoptable and were euthanized:confused:
Anybody know anything??

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I think of them all the time and keep checking this thread for updates. Chico, I also have thought the same thing about the euthanization. :sad:

Please, if anyone knows anything, update us. :fingerscr

fosterpat
September 9th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I saw an ad on kijiji on Sept.3rd, about 8 of the rescued huskies being still available and the name of the person to contact. I don't know if it's someone from the spca. It was on animals to give away, I think.

Frenchy
September 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I saw an ad on kijiji on Sept.3rd, about 8 of the rescued huskies being still available and the name of the person to contact. I don't know if it's someone from the spca. It was on animals to give away, I think.
I hope your wrong! Giving them away on the internet is not what these dogs deserves!Was it french or english?

Frenchy
September 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I just saw the add.They are saying that there still 8 huskies up for adoption and they are looking for responsable people to adopt them.And they are not giving them away.Ouf,got me scared there!

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
What is kijiji ? :confused:

Frenchy
September 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Personnal ads www.kijiji.com Great for BYB and puppy mills...:mad:

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I checked out the site but I don't read French. Is it the same huskies?

Frenchy
September 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yes,it's actually an add from the spca reminding people that 8 huskies are still up for adoption,but only to VERY responsable people.So I guess they mean the same huskies.

rainbow
September 9th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I sure wish I could do something. I can only hope that they all find the forever home they deserve. :fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Does anyone have any news? :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM
They probably all "disappeared" like the Blainville puppymill dogs.:(

Lise
October 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM
In the gazette today the SPCA was saying they are flooded with cats and that they still have eight or nine of the huskies needing adoption.

Golden Girls
October 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
almost 4 months in a cage :sad: I wonder why so long? I sure hope Barnoti's not using these poor dogs for donations, they've suffered long enough?

Published: Saturday, October 14, 2006

The SPCA is still looking for homes for nine husky dogs rescued in June from an abusive kennel in Entrelacs, north of Montreal.

The shelter originally received 20 huskies and has been able to place the other 13 dogs with new owners.

The dogs are healthy and sociable but need to live in a place where they are able to get lots of outdoor exercise, Barnoti said.

The SPCA has already rejected about 50 to 60 potential owners for the huskies because they could not provide suitable homes.
"I hope we'll be able to place them all in homes before the first snow."
The whole story is here: "It's the cats' meow now at SPCA" http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/montreal/story.html?id=7d3210dc-29d7-45b6-b670-c659164ae356&k=72661

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Well, that's better news than I thought I was going to hear. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the remaining huskies. :fingerscr :fingerscr

Inverness
October 14th, 2006, 02:36 PM
They probably all "disappeared" like the Blainville puppymill dogs.:(

:confused: The Blainville dogs haven't disappeared... ? Most were adopted to very good homes - I've met many of them - there was even a Summer reunion for the adopters and their dogs. I've adopted one myself, and am caring for two 13 years old until the end...

Prin
October 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Well, I guess what you hear and what regular folk hear are two different stories. I'm glad mine's not true then.:)

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
The huskies are now listed on petfinder, 6 of them are still up for adoption. I look at petfinder almost everyday and I don't remember seing them there before. They are so beautiful ! :fingerscr I guess with all the publicity about them, too many people are aware of the huskies so the spca can't put them down :thumbs up

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I guess with all the publicity about them, too many people are aware of the huskies so the spca can't put them down :thumbs up:fingerscr Good! Good luck, huskies!

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Phew! :fingerscr

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I guess with all the publicity about them, too many people are aware of the huskies so the spca can't put them down :thumbs up

Frenchy, I so hope that you are right. :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr