Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toy breeds

LM1313
July 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Does anyone else dislike calling dogs toy breeds? I think it encourages people to think of the dogs as accessories and the perfect dogs for children (which most of them aren't, as they're easily hurt.) A better name would be "Companion Breeds", since most were bred solely to be companions (as opposed to being bred to catch rats or herd or such.)

MIA
July 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I don't mind at all as I own the "King of Toys" and they are NOT a companion breed at all!!!! There are actually few small breeds that were bred to be companions, most had a job of ratting, guarding etc. I wish people didn't think that because they are small they make better companions!!!!

Prin
July 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Does anyone else dislike calling dogs toy breeds?I call them "small dogs". To me, dogs are either big or small.:D

erykah1310
July 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I call them " Get a cat" lol, Just kidding, im not one for teeny tiny dogs. But the " Toy" name does kinda weird me out a bit, you know how some people are all about names!!! (ex. designer breeds)

OntarioGreys
July 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Well companion breeds is already a term used to describe breeds 40 lbs of none working types, so it would create confusion as some breeds like and American Eskimo is a companion breed but has 3 size levels that all less than 40lbs standard, minature and toy

(2) COMPANION DOGS.

These are breeds that were bred primarily to be companions with no particular working requirements.

Some Companion Dog Breeds are among the oldest of all living dog breeds. It has been argued that the reason dogs were domesticated in the first place was for companionship and to enhance human status. As a bonus, most Companion Dog Breeds are very alert and will sound an alarm at the approach of visitors.

There is an interesting question as to when dogs where first selected primarily as companions rather than as workers. Even with the Australian Aborigines dogs are used to warm the sleeper at night (A "three dog night" being a cold night).

Generally Companion Dogs are medium sized to small (40 lbs or less). Some of the companion breeds seem to be miniatures of larger breeds developed for specific work. Traditionally, dog organizations have created a separate category for "Toy Dogs". Here, we have grouped Toy Dogs as a separate subgroup category within the Companion Dog Group. They may be dwarf proportioned with short legs relative to body length or normal proportioned, retaining the "square" (or leg length roughly equal to body length) proportions of the wild canids. It must also be noted that not all Companion Dogs are necessarily small breeds. Some South American Indians, for example, preferred large and hairless Companion Dogs.

I know some get offended hearing the term "bitch" when talking about a female dog