Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is eating to much Ahi bad for you>???

heidiho
July 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Ok i am hooked on ahi,i used to eat mccdonalds for breakfast which i know is bad,until my boyfriend introduced me to raw ahi,know i eat that every morning,anyone know what it's nutrition vale is and is there anything fattening or bad in it for you,cause i could eat it all day..

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
What is ahi - is that fish? :D

HunterXHunter
July 6th, 2006, 03:27 PM
By "ahi", do you mean...tuna!? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Raw tuna is common in a lot of Japanese food, and rightfully so...I love them...I could eat them all day too...

lewisw
July 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Just found out that Ahi refers to two species, bigeye tuna (Thunnus obesus) and yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares). In Hawaii, shibi is another name for yellowfin tuna. The yellowfin gains its name because the soft dorsal and anal fins and finlets are bright yellow in color. The dorsal and anal fins lengthen with age. Yellowfin range from the ocean surface to depths below 100 fathoms.

OntarioGreys
July 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I would think, you should be able to learn for sure by contacting the local Ministry of Natural resources there in Hawaii and they will be able to tell you

We have more problem on the main continent due to chemical from industry.mining and pulp mills I believe
For example this guide which is put out by the Ministry of Natural Resources here for Ontario's lakes and rivers will tell you how many fish can safely be consumed in a month

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/guide/

pretty much the maximum number of safe meals you can have of any fish caught in Ontario in one month is 8, the maximum varies on the species of fish, the size and where caught, some areas and species it is not recommende you eat at all, probably the safest fish to eat anywhere in Ontario is yellow perch under 12 inches

heidiho
July 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Thank you,yeah i agree it is almost like a dessert to me,i love it,i just thought i heard once that eating to much is not good because it has high levels of s*** cant remember what,.:eek: :eek:

joeysmama
July 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
High levels of mercury.

I love tuna. I've cut back a bit but there's a Japanese restaurant near here that serves the best wasabi tuna appetizer ! I could eat it every day.

My maiden name actually translates in Italian to the name of a very expensive type of tuna. It's the fleshy underbelly or something, I can't recall the specifics. But it sells for something like ten bucks a tin at Whole Foods.:eek:

Cinnabear
July 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
It also depends on the season. Sometimes fish are fattier than other times.

heidiho
July 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Thank you that was it,well iguess it's better then mcdonalds for breakfast:p

OntarioGreys
July 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM
It also depends on the season. Sometimes fish are fattier than other times.

that applies more so the fish in lakes and rivers in winter they develop and layer of fat which can store higher qtys of PCB's, the mercury level stay pretty much constant since it is stored in the flesh instead

In ocean fish, the temperatures do not fluctuate as much in deeper waters

HunterXHunter
July 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM
My maiden name actually translates in Italian to the name of a very expensive type of tuna. It's the fleshy underbelly or something, I can't recall the specifics. But it sells for something like ten bucks a tin at Whole Foods.:eek:

......Toro?

joeysmama
July 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Ventresca (Italian remember?;) )

glasslass
July 7th, 2006, 02:21 PM
wasabi tuna appetizer

That sounds sooo good! I love wasabi!

joeysmama
July 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Ohhh, it's sooooo good ! Shaved very thin and served in a bowl of thin wasabi dressing with caviar on top.

Well now I've got to plan a lunch out ! :)

jesse's mommy
July 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yummy, I had Sushi for lunch.