Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about Boarder Collie mix in heat

Remorri
July 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hello,

We have a female Boarder Collie mix that is a year and a half old. This is her first heat cycle since we had her, she has not been spayed. We live on a military post and she is on the list to be spayed later this month. We also rescued a male Chihuahua-Jack Russell mix, and he is not spayed. He was very malnourished and one testicle was not descended so they would not operate. Our little girlie went in heat while we were on vacation. The boarder said that she kept the dogs separate but I am worried. We did not intend to have puppies and plan to have them both altered. If she went in to heat while we were gone, which was 7 days, do you think there is a chance that she may have gotten pregnant? I have read that the fertile time is the middle of the cycle, she is snapping at the male dog, and wants him to leave her alone. She also seems lazy....is this normal?

Thanks-

jesse's mommy
July 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order.

Remorri
July 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Yes, I agree and that is my intent. I guess I was hoping for some peace of mind while we wait for our Vet appt. If she is pregnant, does it cause them more pain to Spay?

jesse's mommy
July 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Some people don't want to hear this, but I'll put it out there anyway. If she is pregnant, the best thing to do is to abort the pregnancy. For a lot of people this goes against their beliefs, but with all the unwanted dogs out there it's the best route to go. There's always a chance that an unspayed dog in heat is pregnant, but the vet would be the only one to really be able to give you advice. As for if it's more painful if she is pregnant, probably not because it would be so early in the pregnancy. Hopefully that helps and I do hope that you keep us updated with what the vet says.

Oh and welcome to the forum and we always love to see pictures of furbabies. In fact, it's a must. :D

kaytris
July 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I believe the fertile period is at the END of the heat, right after she stops bleeding. You (or the petsitter) will be able to tell, as she'll likely turn into a little hussy (there's something called 'flagging', when she will curve her tail to one side so that the boy.. well, you get the picture).

Spaying right after her heat is the best option - it will involve aborting any puppies (which would be miniscule at that stage), but there should be no more pain than a normal spay.

OntarioGreys
July 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM
If she became receptive during that 7 days than it is possible she is pregnant

the first stage of the heat cycle lasts 4 to 9 days, then the second cycle in which they can get pregnants starts which also can last 4 to 9 days

this article describes
http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/Pdogsheatcycle.HTM