Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swollen Cheek - Sick Kitty

michsageman
July 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I just rescued a 6-8 week old kitten. When I brought her home four days ago she was sneezing and had alot of drainage coming out of her eyes. I suspected some allergy or cold. She seemed dehydrated so we have been giving her lots of liquids and she is eating fine. Last night my wife washed her up to get all the muscus off her face from her eyes. I might also add she has not been very active and we noticed today her gums are white in color. The worry at the moment in today her right cheek has swollen up. Its actually quite large but does not appear to be causing her any discomfort. Someone suggested tetracycline to help clear up the watery eyes and congestion (she is weezing a bit too), but the swollen cheek has got us worried. We do not have the money atm to get her into a vet and my wife did call around to see if any would see her for free or at a discount because she is a saved kitty and not a pet we chose. Greed seems to run high here in our town cause no one would do so. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. We bought some tetracycline tablets from the pet store but have yet to administer them. Thank you in advance. O, any suggestions on a proper dosage would be nice too. The tablets are 250mg.

Mike:sick:

jesse's mommy
July 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Have you tried contacting a cat rescue organization? They might be able to help out with a discount.

LavenderRott
July 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Contact the Michigan Humane Society in Detroit. They should be able to help you .

White gums are a very bad sign. Could be anything from shock to internal bleeding!! A vet is the only answer.

michsageman
July 5th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I will contact them tomorrow. My wife got the info already. I hope it isn't anything as serious as internal bleeding. She appears to be fine other then the weezing, coughing, runny eyes, and the swollen cheek. I feel so bad for her when she gets a coughing fit. We will definately see what we can do for her tomorrow. Its too late here to get in contact with anyone. We are going to keep a close eye on her though and if she looks to be getting worse in any way we do have a 24 hr vet by us although he is expensive. Thanks for the quick replies.

Michael:sick: