Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bruising from a bug bite??

Copper'sMom
July 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I think a bug or something bit my middle finger this morning or else I sprained it somehow!?? I was on my way to the post office and all of a sudden my finger had pain and it became swollen right before my eyes. I thought maybe something bit me or stung me so I took a couple of antihistamines.

Now, it's still a little swollen and it's all bruised from the palm of my hand to the knuckle and only on the palm side of my hand, not the top. The bruising extends a little outwards along my palm. It hurts a little still - alot less than this morning.

Is it possible to have bruising from a bug bite?? It felt like i was stung or bitten and not a strain type of injury. I'm confused! lol

Prin
July 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Maybe you were allergic? Or maybe it was a deer fly or something and it bit into a vein/artery?

Copper'sMom
July 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Oh i definitely think i had an allergic reaction with the swelling and the itching but i just don't know why the bruising?? I put marker on my finger where the bruising stops just so I know if it gets worse and spreads. Someone else told me this is how flesh eating disease can start. I dunno if it's tru though............

badger
July 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
That's exactly what they do in the hospital (I saw it on ER :)), trace the outline of the existing infection and see how it moves over a period of hours. If it's flesh-eating disease, usually very very fast.
The bruising is a little strange. Maybe it was a spider? Are you quite reactive (to things in your environment) generally?

Copper'sMom
July 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Are you quite reactive (to things in your environment) generally?

No I don't normally have reactions to anything!
I've had something similar before but there was never any bruising and the swelling didn't last this long!

Prin
July 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
How is it today?:fingerscr

SunGurl372
July 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I got bit by something once, not sure what it was, but since we were out in a woodsy area by a lake the guys at the ER assumed a spider of some sort. Said reactions like that are not uncommon (I have absolutely no known allergies to boot!).

It was just below the second knuckle on my ring finger...that sucker swelled up like a golf ball within minutes. I had a ring on and it got so bad that we had to go to the emergency room and get it cut off. ( the ring, not my finger :p )

Copper'sMom
July 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM
How is it today?:fingerscr

I think it's getting better!:thumbs up Thanks for asking!
Today it is more red than purple and there is no pain or swelling! Some of the discolouration has moved up to the top of my knuckle(backside of hand) but I think I'm gonna live!!! LOL


Did any of you ever hear of Norton the Pit Bull who saved his owner from dying??? This was in the 1980's i think in Kitchener-Waterloo, ON - anyway, the woman got up in the night to go to the bathroom and the dog and hubby were sleeping in bedroom. She closed the bedroom door, went to the bathroom and was bit by a spider. She had a reaction(because of meds she was on) and went into anaphylactic(SP?) shock.
Her dog NOrton, sensed something was wrong and woke hubby up. He found his wife in severe distress and called 911.
If Norton hadn't awaken hubby, the woman would have died!! Norton received an award for his actions!

Edit - here's the link to Norton's Story! http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/articles/norton.html

I always think of this story when I get bit by something unknown! Spiders are the worst!

Prin
July 6th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Well, it's good to know you have the right breed to help you out if you get bitten on the bowl and go into anaphylactic shock. :D

I'm glad you're ok.:)