Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Bed

alenka_ru_ca
July 5th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Hello!

I need your advice.

I purchased a bed for my kitty. Plush and soft and even with a warming pad inside (just a few degrees over the air temperature) :angel:. I put it in my closet, in the corner, so it's nice and private. But she hasn't shown any interest in it:sad: ... she took a couple of naps there, but only because I gently transferred here there when she fell asleep in my lap :(.
Where she sleeps is another closet - in the hallway - she climbs our coats and sleeps on the top shelf on top of a sweatshirt.:confused:
I'd really like her to sleep in the kitty bed... One, she wouldn't climb our coats and pull out threads; and she'd be comfortable and safe (not a chance to fall from a tall shelf).
Do you have any ideas / experiences with this? Do your cats use the beds you make/buy for them? How would you attract kitty to the bed?

Thanks! I'd really appreciate any advice.

:pawprint: Elena:pawprint:

KarineB
July 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I also purchased a cat bed for my Maxwell. He would only lie in it if I put him in while he was sleeping also.

But he never uses it on his own. I think they like to lie where they like to lie and thats it. He would rather lie in the closet on top of old school bags....sigh

Stacer
July 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
WE bought a bed as well, for the most part neither of them use it, but I will catch Angus sleeping in it once in a while. We've tried changing the location of the bed, he seems to sleep in it the most when it's in our bedroom.

LibbyP
July 5th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I guess I just have odd ball cats;) , we have 5 bought beds for two cats, they use all but one, they just rotate who's sleeping where:o

mafiaprincess
July 6th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Can you remove access to the closet where you'd prefer the cat not to be? Like close the door.. Maybe in time she'd find either another location she loved or find that bed.. If she found another location you could move the bed to the spot of her choosing..

chico2
July 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I donated all my cat-beds to our local Humane Society,cats sleep where they want to sleep.
Vinnie prefers high places,like on top of my very tall armoir,Chico among my Garfield collection on top of my PC cabinet,Rocky sleeps wherever I am and he can keep an eye on me:D
At night they are all in my bed..
I keep throws everywhere for them to sleep on:pawprint:

glasslass
July 6th, 2006, 11:30 PM
My cat had medium length hair and I think she got too warm in a plushy, nest-shaped bed. She always prefered hard, cool surfaces, like on top of the laundry hamper where she could watch us in the bedroom. On cooler nights, she would sleep on our bed, usually above my head, sharing my pillow.

LM1313
July 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Oh, you know what makes a perfect cat bed? Toilet seat covers! They come in all colors, are soft, machine washable (I think), and are the perfect size for an adult cat to curl up on! My cats love them. :D

glasslass
July 7th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Pictures! I wanna see that!:D

LM1313
July 7th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Okay! :D

The white one in the picture is a real cat bed, the blue one is a toilet seat cover. :)

http://www.ponyisland.net/userfiles/868/gallery/Whatnow.jpg

Prin
July 7th, 2006, 03:57 AM
lol that's hilarious. :D

I have to say though- I don't have cats but my dogs are the same with dog beds and dog beds are freaking expensive. They love some and others they never ever have touched. There's one bed that's just for Jemma to play with. (See here: Jemma playing with her bed thread (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27018&highlight=jemma+business)- I don't want to highjack ;))

chico2
July 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM
LM1313,that's a great pic,wonderful kitties...I too used a toilet-seat cover for Vinnie when he was a baby,but now at an average 16lbs(my cats:D ) they're too small..

Snooky'sMom
July 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM
My cats always liked their beds. I had two on the floor by my bed that they slept in every night and two on the desk in the office. Their favourites were wicker beds (hard to find now) and just boxes with padding that I put in them. My new cat I got from a shelter in the fall doesn't seem to like any of the beds. He's chosen his sleeping areas but none of them are the cat beds.

alenka_ru_ca
July 7th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! :)

Do you think it would help if I put the kitty bed in the closet that my kitten likes to sleep in? I really wouldn't want to take away her favourite nap place by closing the closet doors... :angel:
Would catnip help at all? Or is that good for play only?
Btw, can they tell if they have slept somewhere before by the smell? i.e. if she sleeps in one place and leaves her scent, does she come back there because of this scent?

:pawprint:Elena:pawprint: