Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat leash

Dano_61
July 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Hi

I am trying to get my cat use to a leash so i can walk him in the backyard, he wants no part of it and is retreating to his old hiding spaces. Will he get use to it or is this a waste of time. I do not want to upset him

Dan

LM1313
July 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM
First, some advice: always use a harness, not a collar, because most cats can easily escape from a collar. :)

If your cat isn't used to the harness, get him used to it by putting it on for short times at first and feeding him lots of yummy treats. Gradually increase the time you leave the harness on until he's used to it. Then start attaching the leash and letting him drag it around inside the house and get used to it. (Watch him to make sure he doesn't get tangled.) Finally, start picking up the leash and following him around.

That's what I do when I "walk" my cats, I just follow them around. If they start going somewhere they shouldn't, I get their attention and try to get them to come back to me on their own, but if they don't I hold the leash taut and go over and pick them up.

If anyone has advice on getting a cat to walk beside me on a leash, I'd love to hear it! :)

LibbyP
July 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
My first question, is how old is your cat, and is it spayed/neutered? Cats are very territorial and don't welcome 'new comers'. My parents cat who is a senior can walk on a leash with a harness, he also enjoys some back yard time with their little chi. Is your cat used to wearing a harness? Less pull and strain on their necks, they got theirs used to wearing it(harness) around the house while they were home to watch, did this for awhile, then they attached a light lead to the end in the house,again while they were home, and so on until they were able to move everything outside, is your cat used to the outdoors? Sounds and sights will scare him so make sure you keep a close eye, but you know there's nothing wrong with having a indoor only cat, less stress, live longer, etc... Hope this helps :pawprint: Hey LM1313 great minds think alike

Dano_61
July 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks LM

I bought a leash but he got out of it right away, so i bought a harness but darn it i cant get the settings right, i have a picture of it , i have attached it

Dan

Dano_61
July 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
JD is sprayed/ neutered, not sure which is for male, he is fixed lol. I am very careful when he is outside never leaves my side, i wish i could build him a catrun but no room :(

Dan

Snooky'sMom
July 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I bought a leash but he got out of it right away, so i bought a harness but darn it i cant get the settings right, i have a picture of it , i have attached it Dan

If he's too wiggly while you are trying to adjust why not try measuring him with a fabric tape measure first and then doing the adjustments on the harness to match.

I have a cat that walks on a leash but I can't take any credit for training him. He came that way from the shelter.

badger
July 7th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Check this out:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Leash-Training-A-Cat_W0QQugidZ10000000000735952?ssPageName=BUYGD:CA T:-1:LISTINGS:2

jiorji
July 8th, 2006, 11:17 PM
does your cat wear a collar?

My cats too have a harness for walking outside on the balcony and at first they were annoyed with wearing it, but then I got them used to collars and after trying to put on a harness again they didn't seem to mind it.

also, maybe your cat doesn't want to go outside. Maybe he doesn't feel safe wearing the harness knowing you'll be taking him outside