Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

People have reached a new low...

LianneCatherine
July 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM
So, I'm fostering a kitten for the Animal Control Center in my area, and as part of the fostering process, they put up an ad online so that people can see that she's available.

Well, let me tell you the kind of MESSED UP emails I've been getting since the ad went up. Twice, I've received emails of a fraudulent nature - requesting the kitten to be shipped to an address overseas, and asking for my personal information. They go on to say that they will be depositing $3600 in my name, etc. etc. and that I need to give them "change," etc. Your basic run-of-the-mill scams.

What I don't understand, is that it's an ANIMAL RESCUE GROUP. Why would you try to steal from a non-profit animal shelter???? :mad:

Thank goodness, I've gotten some legitimate emails to balance it out. I'm just appalled at how greedy people can be. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :rolleyes:

Mahealani770
July 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
OMG! That is DISGUSTING!!:mad: WTH is wrong with people?:confused:
Ya know, I would love to foster some rescues but do you have to be at home and available 24/7 to do it? I can't even imagine the process of screening people, sounds like a lot of responsibility!? Sorry to semi-jack your thread:angel:

LianneCatherine
July 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I would love to foster some rescues but do you have to be at home and available 24/7 to do it? I can't even imagine the process of screening people, sounds like a lot of responsibility!? Sorry to semi-jack your thread:angel:

It depends on what kind of animal you foster. Cats and kittens need attention of course, but not 24-7. Some with special needs or medical problems may take more of your time than others. Dogs/puppies however, would be a different story. They need LOTS AND LOTS of attention, maybe not 24-7, but at least 8-7! That's why I foster kittens, I don't have that kind of time. However, it also depends on the shelter and how desperate they are. If it's between fostering a dog that you might not be able to devote 90 hours a week to, or euthanizing it, I think they would be okay with you fostering. :)

Some shelters also have bunnies, gerbils, hamsters, reptiles, etc. which obviously wouldn't take as much time.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I don't mind the thread jack! :D

Prin
July 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Wow, people can be really sick! :sick:

wdawson
July 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM
the internet can bring out the best in people:rolleyes:

kaytris
July 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM
The scammers hit everywhere.... online auction and classified sites, petfinder, anywhere they find stuff for sale or adoption

for a funny revenge story, look here: http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html

Writing4Fun
July 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Ugh! :yuck: I get at least a dozen offers per day from people offering me 'money' for helping them settle their 'estate matters' simply because I'm on a few WAHM sites (sure, let's scam the poor penniless Moms who are just trying to make an extra buck or two). They really do hit every walk of life, and what's even worse is that there are still a lot of people out there who fall for it. :evil:

badger
July 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM
What are WAHM sites?

joeysmama
July 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Work At Home Moms ?

OntarioGreys
July 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
OMG! That is DISGUSTING!!:mad: WTH is wrong with people?:confused:
Ya know, I would love to foster some rescues but do you have to be at home and available 24/7 to do it? I can't even imagine the process of screening people, sounds like a lot of responsibility!? Sorry to semi-jack your thread:angel:

Different groups have different ways of operating, in many cases all you are responsible is caring for the animal and reporting to the group it's personality and temperment, any issues or positives for example it can be crate or can't, does it have SA, does it like dogs or cats, does it bark a lot, is it comfortable around men, children, strangers, is it food or space possessive, does it like going for walks, what is it's energy level like. The screening can be handled by someone else after and application comes in, if they think the applicant is a good match for the dog, they would contact you to arrange a time to have the applicants come meet the pet, then the applicant lets the group know if they are indeed interested in adopting, they will let you know,m and you would do a last minute grooming before the pet is picked to be adopted by the owner,

the group I was with was all volunteer based, different people had different jobs,

I was foster parent my job was to see the dog was house trained, introduced to new situations I took the dog to it vets visits and wrote evaluation for the placment rep, the group supplied all the necessaries like the collar leash food dishes, food, and crate and paid all vet bills, I was also a post adoption contact in case the adopter was having problems, because these are young adult dogs, I could foster even though I worked fulltime. Because I had cats I was also the cat test home
They had a home visit rep who met with the owner at there home and helps get the dog settled in and did the final adoption paper work

THe placement rep was who both foster parent and homevisit rep reported to , the placement rep was responsible for taking in applications, approving applications and picking out suitable dogs for the applicants based on their needs.

We also had people who volunteered to do meet and greets, bathing of the dogs when they arrived in Canada and an event organizer