Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

constipation

Mias_mom
January 16th, 2004, 11:07 AM
My shih tzu has been constipated for almost a week and not eating very well. She is also not able to get up on the bed or couch without help as it seems to hurt her. I don't have money right now for a vet, I did call one but they will not tell me anything without an exam. So, please tell if you know what i can do at home to help her. I was wondering if it would be safe to give her a infant suppository.

Luba
January 16th, 2004, 11:39 AM
There could be a very serious reason why your dog is constipated.

The bowel could be obstructed with something. Your dog could become very ill. Regardless if you have money or not, take your dog to the vet and figure out how to pay for it.

Your dog is suffering.

Carina
January 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM
It does sound like an obstruction. When you put your ear to her tummy, do you hear any little gurgling noises? If not, this isn't a good sign. Is she vomiting after she eats? Are her stools normal, hard, or diarrhea? Does her breath smell really stinky, either like poo, or sort of like nail polish remover?

You can give her some mushy boiled white rice, mixed with some cooked meat (to make her eat it) and some mineral oil...there's a chance the bulk + oil will help move things along. A suppositary might help, but I'd try the above first.

Unfortunately, if this doesn't help and it IS an obstruction, she must have veterinary attention or she will die. The vet can't tell you anything without an exam because the best s/he could do is guess...and if s/he gives you incorrect information, may be liable if the dog dies. There's always a way to pay!

I'm sure there may be other reasons she's so unwell; I'm not a vet but my first thought, like Luba's, was obstruction because that's not uncommon.