Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is missing a toe!

Stacer
July 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I was just trimming my kitties' nail for the first time (not as hard as I thought it would be), as I was trimming Finn's nails on her front paws I noticed that she's missing a toe on her right front paw. It's the one that's equivalent to the thumb, up the wrist a little. She's got one on her left paw, but nothing on the right. Since she was an abandoned kitty I don't know much about her history before we got her other than she was left in an apartment when the owner up and moved suddenly. There doesn't appear to be any scarring. Is this a normal digit for a cat to be missing? I know that cats only have 4 toes on their back paws, maybe Finn is a more evolved cat?:D

glasslass
July 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'm wondering if you mean dew-claw? I know dogs have dew-claws, but is that what they're called in kitties? Do you suppose it might have gotten caught on something and was torn off? Happens to dogs sometimes. Poor kitty! Wish they could talk!

Stacer
July 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Nope, she's still got those on both of her front paws.

Prin
July 5th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Well.. My friend's cat has a gazillion toes (they go all the way up her legs) and they're not equal in numbers on both sides...:o Maybe it just didn't happen.:o

Stacer
July 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM
so maybe while some cats are polydactyl, others are the opposite? Could missing toes be a genetic thing too?