Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can they really predict the weather at all?

Prin
July 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Here's the forecast for tonight:
Showers or thunderstorms ending near midnight then cloudy periods with 30 percent chance of showers. Risk of severe thunderstorms this evening. Low 20.

And then they just issued this:
Metro Montréal - Laval
11:51 PM EDT Monday 3 July 2006
Severe thunderstorm warning for
Metro Montréal - Laval issued
:rolleyes:

They say they're 98% accurate with all the technology, but it definitely doesn't seem like they can predict anything past the next 5 minutes.

erykah1310
July 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I am the weather network QUEEN!!!! between having text messages sent to my phone,checking the online weather network and having my coffee watching the weather channel. AND THEY ARE 98% WRONG!!!!! lol
They let me down EVERYDAY!!! lol
I listen to what the cats and dogs have to say about it all. Also the leaves on the trees and the bugs. Much more accurate. :)
I dont think they can predict ( weather people) more than 5 minutes ago!!!

HunterXHunter
July 4th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Ouch! I work for EC too...:rolleyes: But if it makes you feel any better, my buddies and I had to endure a wet bbq like most of you.

(Oh, and I'm not in the weather predicting dept. so don't blame me :p )

LavenderRott
July 4th, 2006, 09:37 AM
What a job it is being the weather man though.

They make really good money as they are t.v. personalities and they are not required to be right!

doggy lover
July 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Why its the only job you can be wrong all the time and still keep it:p

Prin
July 4th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Also the leaves on the trees and the bugs. Much more accurate. :) I agree. The leaves tell me more about when the rain is coming than the weather man. :rolleyes: Sometimes the leaves are wrong, but usually they're not.

The best is when you KNOW they're lying. You look at the satellite images and you know it's going to rain for at least a week, but they put the last day on the weather forecast as sunny, just so you can have something to look forward to- even though it's not even true.:rolleyes:

SnowDancer
July 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
When I get my hair done it rains - even if the forecast calls for sunny weather and day starts off that way, hairdresser will bring his umbrella. Every time my dog is groomed it pours buckets - since he is a white dog, he is white for about 2 minutes as he hits every mud muddle. It rains nearly every Thursday, the day I take him to socialization and try to run errands - either that or it is freezing. It also rains nearly every day when my husband is out of town as I have to take dog on all of his walks right up until midnight. Yard is not fenced and it wouldn't matter - Eskies can jump and no way would I go back there at night with the skunk who lives next door lurking about. Use to be you could reasonably count on decent weather during certain times of year but these days you most definitely need a Plan B if planning an outdoor event because it will rain. Many people no longer rent cottages or camping space as they don't want to be stuck with a 2 week rental and sit inside for the whole time.

Frenchy
July 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
They have predicted "chance of thunderstorm" everyday for the past 2 weeks.Yes,I can be a weather girl;tomorrow;sunny with clouds,chances of rain / thunderstorm. There you go :cool:

Prin
July 5th, 2006, 12:05 AM
lol I believe you Frenchy.:)

OntarioGreys
July 5th, 2006, 04:21 AM
A few years ago near me they did manage to get the location of where a tornado would hit correct problem was it was 10 minutes AFTER it touched down.

I should have hired out Callie my former greyhound as a thunderstorm forecaster, with an accuracy 100% approx 45 minutes before they moved into the area, my guess is she noticed the barometric pressure change, blew me away when she predicted one in the winter, I thought she had gone a bit loops at first :o

Puppyluv
July 5th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I stopped looking at the weather about 9 months ago. What's the point? Look at the sky, cloudy? it might rain. Sunny, it won't for a while. (Unless you're in Calgary, where they get sun showers like you wouldn't believe)

Luvmypit
July 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Ontario Greys how did your dog tell you? That is so cool!

Capone kinda tells me by laying in the washroom or closets and hes always there before we humans hear anything.

OntarioGreys
July 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Ontario Greys how did your dog tell you? That is so cool!

She was severely thunderphobia and somehow she could sense them long before they arrived, but when she started panting and running from room to room I knew they were on there way so I would start closing windows and putting blankets over the curtain to help keep out the lightning, Any of my low windows were permanently covered with blinds and curtains as in her previous home she had smashed through a window trying to escape the storm. So her knowing really was not that cool, I know there are other dogs that are able to sense storms the same way

My current girl is also thunderphobic she reacts to the thunder and lightning but she cannot sense the storm arrival ahead of time which is a bit better because it knocks about an 1 1/2 hours off the panic period.

Stacer
July 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I wanna know how you can tell from leaves that it is going to rain. I'm a tree person by profession and I can't tell, unless you mean that they rustle in the wind when a storm is coming? Tell me something I don't know about trees:D

OntarioGreys
July 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I wanna know how you can tell from leaves that it is going to rain.

The leaves rotate so the underside points upward

Schwinn
July 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM
All I know is the Weather Network would have to get better to suck...the only weather they ever get right is the current weather.

I used to watch it to see the maps, and I found I was better predicting the weather than they were. Then things got stupid bad when we moved here. Then I found out that the weather station they were using for my area is on the other side of the lake, almost two hours away! How stupid is that? All winter, every time I turned it on, and it was telling me snow. They had called for about 10 inches by the time we even had a snow flake. And all summer, they've been calling for rain, and so far, they've been right two days since May! Last weekend, I walked into the back living room where my in-laws were sitting with Mrs. Schwinn, looked at the bright sun beating down from the cloudless sky, and said, "Apparently, we're having quite the thunderstorm right now...".

I hate the weather network...

Prin
July 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
The leaves rotate so the underside points upward
Exactly! I'm so glad somebody in the world noticed that too. Sometimes they lie though... (i.e. a low pressure system that is dry for some reason comes in).

The leaves look white in the wind because the greener side flips up, showing the lighter underside.:) Sugar maples are the best for it because they have really white undersides.

My friend is getting married next weekend and last night, I said it looks good because they say it's going to rain (and they're always wrong) but then they changed it today to sunny so it's still up in the air.:rolleyes:

technodoll
July 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
prin, is your friend in montreal? hope she wears a strapless dress, did you see the heat-wave coming our way? :eek: oh man it's gonna be ugly... s.m.o.g.!!