Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BC with lump on leg

Heather MH
January 15th, 2004, 05:34 PM
What a surprise I'm asking for advice again.....:)
But doesn't that show I just want to be a good Mom:p :p

I have 2-5month old BC. Chevy the male has a lump on his hind leg just above his foot. It is about the size of a large marble. We first noticed it maybe 5 weeks ago and luckly had a vet appointment for the next day. The vet was unconcerned becasue it didn't bother Chevy at all. For the first couple of weeks it felt like muscle or maybe fatty tissue. Now it has hardened but remained the same size. Chevy is still uneffected by it, really he doesn't even notice it. We were just back at the vet this past weekend and the vet is suggesting we X-ray it, but still has no idea what it is.

Some have suggested that he maybe bumped it really hard and this caused the lump. We thought if this was the cause it would have gone away already. Chevy is very healthy, and active so I don't know??:confused:

Has anyone seen something similar?

daisy18216
January 15th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I haven't. But I do suggest on getting an x-ray done.

It might be more serious then you know (I'm not trying to scare you).

The x-ray will be able to show what is wrong w/Chevy. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Look at it this way, if it was your child and the doctor said he/she was unconcerned, and it wasn't any better when you took the child back to the dr's. And the doctor suggest an x-ray, i don't think you would hesistate.

So please get the x-ray done and keep us posted.

I hope it's nothing serious. Good Luck!!!

Carina
January 15th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Hmmm...in such a young dog you don't need to worry about cancer or benign lipomas (I don't think) but I'd for sure have it checked out. Odd that your vet had no ideas, though! That would make me wonder a little....

Ask your vet if he thinks it can just be aspirated - where they draw fluid out with a fine needle. That's how they check for cancer cells in suspicious lumps (not all cancers are painful at first) and I don't know if he can tell anything else by what's drawn out. Maybe elevated white cells or something.

Did the vet give you ANY clue? I'd agree it's probably nothing to worry about since he's a pup, but if he was my pup I'd sure want to know!

Luba
January 15th, 2004, 10:11 PM
It could just be a calcium deposit/gathering.

Have the vet feel it just incase.

Heather MH
January 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks everybody,

I am definatley going to get something done. The only reason that I have thought about the x-ray for the last few days is because the vet told me the x-ray would only check to see if it the lump is bone. I am not a vet but I am sure that it is not bone because as I mentioned for the first month was very soft and musscle like. I do trust my vet, even before I've been taking my BC's there, I had my greyhound at my parents and we took her there as well. I just think something like a biopsy or (I don't know???) should be done. I love my pups and will do anything to make sure they are healthy but I'm not rich either.......:( So I would like to have it taken care of in the least amount of steps as possible with still making sure he is safe.

The vet did talk briefly about taking a sample of it when they go in to get fixed beacause he will already be under anesthetic. Maybe this is a better option they are due to be fixed within the next couple of weeks but we could always get Chevy done sooner.

Quick question a little off topic.....
Since I have two should I have them fixed at the same time? Or can I do it a couple of weeks apart? I just worry that when one gets fixed he or she isn't going to be as active for a couple of days and may get hurt if the other one is constantly egging them on?:confused:

I think I will try and call the vet tommorow and talk a little more about our options....... Thanks again for the advice.

Luba - What is a calcium deposit - sorry to sound stupid:( Will it just go away or does it have to be removed? Is it really bad for him?

mona_b
January 16th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Sure you can do them both done the same time.And having 2, I would say it would be better.My friend had both her Bichons done the same day.They were fine.:)

Luba
January 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
I see no reason why they can't be done at the same time :D

Calcium deposit is pretty much just that, a gathering of calcium and minerals that forms a little bump. People get them as well, usually at or near joints, they collect and become painful as they're in the way of the joint moving freely.

It's not a big deal but I am just guessing at what it is :D
Your vet ofcourse would know for certain.

Heather MH
February 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
Just wanted to give an update for anyone who is interested.

Chevy and Daisy were fixed on Thursday. Chevy also had his lump removed from his leg. Although the vet had never seen anything like it she says it was probably originally caused from a sliver. It was a round ball that looked similar to a honeycomb on the outside and probably inside to (she didn't disect it). Each little "comb" was filled with dried puss. It still had yet to bother him, but I am glad it was removable. They did have to scrape his legimate though because it was attached so he is limping a little.

But both are fine and back to acting crazy!!!:)

melanie
February 2nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
a little late yes but asuggestion- have you ever heard of a derma cyst, it is a type of ingrown hair (usually shepherd like coats, soft and often double layered). derma cysts form hard little globs around the hair under the skin, they are not dangerous as long as it is not weeping, run this past the vet next time :D

daisy18216
February 2nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
I'm glad to hear that they are both doing fine!!!! :)

I'm also happy to hear that they were able to remove that lump, I'm sure he feels alot better now (with the exception of the limping).