Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fur Family Just Doubled

AshleyMic
July 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hi all
I spoke to my aunt this weekend, they are moving and at the moment the family has divided and are staying at various relative's houses cause they
dont have a place to go. I mentioned her two cats and it seems they totally forgot about them and had no idea what they were going to do. So I of course offered to take them rather then see them put in the pound. Now I have 3 cats and my pup Dale. I picked up the two new girls today, one is 4 years and the other is 8 months. So far everyone is gettign along well. Both cats on occasion go outside but neither have received
any flea meds so we had to stop and get those
(they will remain inside while at my house)
also one of them has an injured eye so we will have to take her to the vet for a check up. There is a good chance these girls could end up permanent members of the house, do you think I should pay for vet check ups? if they are going to leave in a month I dont know if I should but if they are going to end upwith me I want to
make sure they are in the best health possible.
What do you guys think??
Thanks

http://forums.toronto.

Frenchy
July 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Maybe explain the situation to your vet and ask if you could get a special price ? Like a 2 for 1.

Prin
July 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
I think you should pay, and if they come back for them later, make them pay you back before you hand over the kitties.:)

OntarioGreys
July 3rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
Personally if it was me, I would let them know that you feel the cats should go to the vet immediately and ask if they will pay the bill as you don't want to risk letting eye become infected and become a bigger problen and you don't want your pets getting fleas either.
If they don't want to spend to money then ask them if they will sign the cats over to you, and that you will take care of the vet yourself,

if they say no, surprise them and tell them to take the cats with them right now, let them now the cats are their responsibility as long as they own and want them, and that you were willing to be a free babysitting but you will not let them take advantage of you by making you pay their vet bills as well, it would likely shock the heck out of them to either pay up or sign the cats over to you.

Skryker
July 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
I agree-the cats need to go to the vet, not just for their own sakes, but to protect your permanent furkids. And if your aunt doesn't want to pay for vet care, get her to sign the cats over to you. Her family are obviously not in a good situation, so be tactful; they might just be completely relieved not to have to stress about the cats and sign them over to you willingly. Good luck!