Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A walk around the lake . . . .

Rick C
July 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
If you're interested, Abby and Keeper and I were at Upper Kananaskis Lake yesterday, doing the roughly 17.4 km (just over 10 mile) hike around the entire thing . . . . . it took us four hours, including time for a few breaks.

Keeper wades along in the early part of the morning . . . . one of many, many dips into the lake and streams along the way to cool down on this hot, hot day.

http://www.goldentales.ca/16920031-edit1.jpg

Varied terrain along the way, including this open grassy patch for Abby to run through . . . its July but the snow on the mountains can be perpetual into the next winter, feeding the lake.

http://www.goldentales.ca/16920063-edit1.jpg

To remind ourselves this is bear country . . . . on our way out in the vehicle we spotted this pair of grizzlies below. There was a grizzly confrontation that ended badly for a human on the lake trail just last spring . . . Generally, Abby is on leash and in my hand most of the time, Keeper trailing her leash and walking a few feet ahead and on the trail. If I can see a long way, I'll let them run a bit, as with the second picture above.

http://www.goldentales.ca/16920077-edit1.jpg

Other new pictures at Abby & Keeper's updated blog at www.goldentales.ca/new.htm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Alex_Galea
July 3rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Wow, those are amazing. I looked at the ones on your web site and they were just as good! You should post more on the site next time. You do such a great job of intagreating Abby ubti your landscape pictures.

Frenchy
July 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Grizzlys :eek: what Abby and Keeper did when they saw them?The lake is just beautiful,any land for sale around it?;)

Puppyluv
July 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Of course we're interested!!!!! Beautiful pictures (as always)!!!

Rick C
July 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
You do such a great job of intagreating Abby ubti your landscape pictures.

All of us are mere transients in a permanent landscape, young Grasshopper . . .

I try to tell the story of their adventures, show what they've seen while showing themselves as well . . . . if you feel you've been there with them, loping with Abby through the wind-whipped grass along the lake, the mountains surrounding you, then the objective has been met.

Grizzlys what Abby and Keeper did when they saw them?

They prefer gophers and mice . . . . . things they know they can kill. When we encounter bigger things they tend to listen to me, rather unusual for them.

In this case, we were in the vehicle and the telephoto helped.

In our bear encounter on a trail last year, a bear came out behind us and, although I noticed it, I kept walking and Abby and Keeper, in front, were none the wiser. I tend to whistle and talk to Abby and Keeper a bit on the trail, making some noise so that we don't have the problem.

Sneaking up on a bear isn't a good idea. Most of the time, that's the problem.

The lake is just beautiful,any land for sale around it?

Nobody here but us chickens.

It's a wilderness park . . . . lots of campgrounds though. Its about 6,500 feet above sea level and frozen stiff as a board and buried under mountains of snow in the winter . . . . beautiful for cross-country skiing and even walking in the winter as per the picture below from only a few months ago, Keeper enjoying the freedom of the moment:

http://www.goldentales.ca/10370120_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

glasslass
July 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Rick, as usual, your photos are a pure delight! Love the ones of Polly also! I just can't imagine living in such a beautiful setting. Some things would frighten me (bears :eek: ) but you seem to fit naturally into your environment. Abby and Keeper are soooo lucky!

Prin
July 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Wish I was there today...:)

Skryker
July 3rd, 2006, 10:57 PM
Lovely as ever! The grizzlies are a bit scary, of course, but comes with the territory, right? I guess it's nice of the bears to let us humans share their lake once in a while.;)

Wish I could have been there, too-but I probably would have been in the lake with the dogs if it was really hot.

doggy lover
July 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Beautiful pics as always, yep the bears would scare the heck out of me. We are suppose to have bears at our cottage never seen hide or hear of them but its still a little scary and they are only black bears.