Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

taxes

raingirl
July 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
I admit it, I haven't finished my taxes yet. I have been so depressed lately with work and all, and having no luck finding a new job, money is tight and I just feel like crap. I get up, go to work, come home, barely feel like cooking, sleep 12 hours, and then the same thing the next day. Ug.

Anyway. So being it's a long weekend and our company decided to take monday off instead of friday (some companies did friday, some did monday), I did some major paperwork cleaning and dug out all my tax stuff.

What I was wondering, what are the "legal" definitions of common-law, and is there any benefit to doing our taxes as a common law couple? We have lived together for 3 years now.

If I do it common law, does that mean my "marital status" has changed?

Prin
July 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
I don't know about Ontario but in Qc, the only benefit is that you can apply your refund to pay his balance or vice-versa.

I have to say, the year we decided to be common-law for the govt was HELL for me. I ended up owing the govt so much money, it was ridiculous. You only get one GST credit per couple, so I had to pay mine back, plus the PST, plus as his "conjoint" I wasn't entitled to the provincial drug plan, so I owed them a ton for that too... It was pretty bad. I still owe them about $250 that I just can't pay right now... :rolleyes:

raingirl
July 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
I know neither of us owe anything....so that's why I have put it off.

I just used the government "my account" thing online at the CCRA website, and aparently I have unused carryover amounts from previous years under education/tuition data. Hmm...gotta figure out how to use that as well. Grrr...

I also can't find my 2004 notice of assessment, and I can't find out what my "line A" rrsp deduction limit was.