Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We lost him for 11 hours!!!

erykah1310
July 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
What a horrible night last nite! We went up to camp with the dogs, and i didnt realize that EVERYONE on the lake had decided to let off their fireworks last nite. Just as we were leaving we were loading all the dogs up in the truck but just as I opened up the door to the truck to put Kita gurl in Meik heard one CRACK!! He BOLTED out of the truck and ran under the camp.
I knew it was going to be horrible for him because he is so afraid of them.
I coaxed him out from under the camp, but just before i could grab his collar BANG!!! another one went off, it was right next door. That was it for Meik , he booked it into the bushes.
I ran after him, no flashlight NOTHING.
Needless to say, after looking for him for 3 hours and a HUGE thunder storm had moved in, I had to go home with the other dogs. My dad spent most of the rest of the night looking for him. I came home, paced around the house and headed back out at 4 am.

Thankfully!!! I found him at 10 this morning. About 10 miles from camp:eek:
I dont think i can remember crying that hard before in my life!
He is fine, shook up but fine.
I hope that I never lose one of them again! THat was the scariest thing ever!
He is sleeping at my feet now and has been following me EVERYWHERE since i found him.
Not a happy Canada Day :ca: celebration for Meik. But hes home now! Thank GOD

Mahealani770
July 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
OMG Erykah, how terrible! I would've been BAWLING! How on earth did you find him? Bless his heart. I'm glad you all are reunited now.:thumbs up

Prin
July 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Scary! I'm glad you found him.:)

erykah1310
July 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM
How on earth did you find him?
I had printed out some pictures of him, and i drove and drove and drove, I stopped everyone i saw, at every farm and went down every road.
One farmer said he saw him at about 6in the morning running as fast as lightning. He then pointed me in the direction he went. I found him laying in a puddle on the side of a little road ( basically a 4 wheeler trail) I didnt care that i was now offroading with my Danger Ranger. I had to find my dog! By the looks of where he was heading he was trying to get home!
He was exhausted.

mummummum
July 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
How horrible for you and I am so relieved that all's well now. Having been down that road myself - your adrenalin and anxiety will be up for days. Try to get some rest - difficult I know (you're "on guard") but try - it's over now. :grouphug: from all of us.

Brat
July 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
oh my! I can't imagine what I would do if I lost my baby. It must have been absolutely terrible!

I'm so happy you found him though. Bet ya can't stop hugging him tight :)

chico2
July 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Oh Erykah,what a terrible ordeal,luckily with a happy ending:thumbs up
I lost my Chico for only 2 hours once and just about went into hysterics:sad:

Frenchy
July 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
I lost Bailey for an hour once in the woods,only one month after I adopted him.I'm so glad you found him!It must had been a long night for you.But he is now safe and sound.

Copper'sMom
July 3rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
Count your blessings girl!!!!!!!!! Lucky for you this was a happy ending as things like this happen frequently and many dogs are lost for good.:sad: You are so very lucky to have found him! It was an awful experience for the both of you!:grouphug:

phoenix
July 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
I'm so glad you found him!!!:angel: :thumbs up

We were up at the cottage last night and the fireworks really scared our dogs too. Poor Meiko!

LM1313
July 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Oh my God! I'm so glad you found him! That would be so scary, for both of you!! :grouphug:

Bushfire2000
July 3rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm so glad you were able to find him!! :angel: :angel: Someone was looking out for the two of you.

Skryker
July 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
Whew! I'm glad that you found him and he was OK. You must still be shaking about it. :grouphug:

erykah1310
July 4th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Last nite was the first time he slept in my bed, usually he sleeps in the living room, I think he was really shook up about the situation. I know i am!!!
You cant help but think " what if...."
My biggest concern was him running through the WRONG farmers field. ( there are a few farmers who dont take well to dogs running around thier livestock by my camp.)
Im soooooooo relieved that I found him, I got to thinking later that if someone would have found him, there is NO WAY he would let a stranger approach him.:eek:
But your all right, its over now. Just the trauma of the whole thing that is lingering and im sure the anxiety will be around for a while.
Meik definately had an angel on his side
:angel:

paula383
July 4th, 2006, 05:17 AM
im so glad you found him, i cant imagine what id be like if my babies went missing.:)

glasslass
July 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM
That would be my absolute worst nightmare! I'm glad you had a happy ending.

doggy lover
July 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
I'm glad you found your doggy, there are two things Tucker are scared off big bangs like guns and lawnmowers especially tractor lawnmowers why I don't know. But he is not scared of our ATV?

cpietra16
July 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
:thumbs up glad to here all went well and he's safe and dry....and happy.What a feeling it must have been to see him shoot into the bush not knowing where he was headed.

Luvmypit
July 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Describe when you found him how he was how you were. Hello that is the best part of the story!!!

I am very glad he is ok. What a stressful stressful time!

LianneCatherine
July 5th, 2006, 01:56 PM
My kitty used to wander off at night, and I would be terrified that he'd get hurt or killed. I'd call and call, look around with the flashlight, drive around the neighborhood, etc. I know how horiffic that situation can be.

I'm SO glad to hear that you found him and that everything is okay. You are both very lucky! :D

erykah1310
July 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Describe when you found him how he was how you were. Hello that is the best part of the story!!!

I dont think i stopped the truck completely. Prolly was still rolling when i jumped out and ran over to him, he was just laying in a puddle PANTING his little heart out!!! He didnt get up when i ran to him. HE was POOPED!!! Once he got in the truck he put his head on my lap ( made for some hard shifting but thats QUITE ALRIGHT) I was shaking and crying ( the stress, the fears, the dreading of the worst GONE!!!)
I hope i never have to go through something like that again!